A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gourd Snowmen ornaments and tree topper- Pricing question  (Read 1842 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gizzybird
« on: December 19, 2010 12:09:18 PM »

I hope these are in the right place. I wasn't sure whether to put them in knitting, polymer clay, or somewhere else so they wound up here. Please feel free to move them if there's a better location for them!

My daughter is in 7th grade and is a crafty girl. Next year she wants to go on the 8th grade trip to Washington DC. Problem is, it's an expensive trip ($600!!). So she decided to try making something crafty to sell at the annual holiday craft show at their high school next November to help raise the money for the trip. She also loves anything she can grow in her little garden so we decided to do something with gourds, one of her favorite things. She used mini bottle gourds to make primitive snowmen ornaments and the larger bottle gourds to make a tree topper for our Christmas tree this year. She burned the design into the gourds and filled in the color with some alcohol inks we have. Then she shaped carrot noses from polymer clay around toothpicks and she glued them into tiny holes drilled into the faces. She recruited me to knit tiny little hats and scarves for them. The knitted scarves didn't hang very well, so we opted to just loosly braid some yarn for those.

So opinions needed, how much should she charge for these? She has probably about $1 or so in each of the smaller ones and maybe $1.50-2.00 in the larger ones. They only take her about an hour each to make and I can make the hats in 30 minutes or less, depending on the size and how many interruptions I get.  Roll Eyes I was thinking ornaments for $3 each or 4 for $10 and the larger ones for somewhere in the $7-9 range. Is that too much? Or too little? Also, I was thinking of knitting some lacy angel wings for the tree topper but I'm not sure it needs it. What do you think? Too cheesy? Thanks for all of your help!

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010 06:59:21 AM by PixieVal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010 12:17:01 PM »

to be honest, i'd say 5 -7 for the small ones and 10-15 for the bigger ones...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thisbirdsabsurd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010 12:27:21 PM »

I would agree!  They are very well done and that counts big time when you are pricing!  I know it depends on the people who will be buying, but $5-$15 sounds completely reasonable to me! Good luck to your daughter in her fund raising efforts! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Soap Holder
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 4/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 3/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 6/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 28/28
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...