A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,728
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: suggestion about reversing negative feedback  (Read 5107 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011 06:48:42 PM »

What's most hurtful to me about being flaked on isn't necessarily not receiving a package (although that's a bummer), it's more about feeling that the work, thought, time, money, etc that I put into creating a special gift for someone wasn't appreciated or acknowledged. Also, I think it's easy to assume that the recipient didn't like what you made for them which isn't a very nice feeling.

For that reason especially, I think it would be nice for flakers to send their original packages and acknowledge that they appreciated what you had created but life just got too busy to express that at the time Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011 08:06:53 PM »

For that reason especially, I think it would be nice for flakers to send their original packages and acknowledge that they appreciated what you had created but life just got too busy to express that at the time Smiley.

This would definitely always happen in the perfect world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011 06:10:29 AM »

What's most hurtful to me about being flaked on isn't necessarily not receiving a package (although that's a bummer), it's more about feeling that the work, thought, time, money, etc that I put into creating a special gift for someone wasn't appreciated or acknowledged. Also, I think it's easy to assume that the recipient didn't like what you made for them which isn't a very nice feeling.

I think the same goes if you angel a swap (especially if you're just doing it to be nice, not because you have negative feedback), that the person you angel for is appreciative of your efforts. I understand that it's hard to be enthusiastic after being flaked on, but I think if I got flaked on and then someone angelled for me because they could, I'd be stoked they were so nice as to make it up to me.

I think the idea some swaps have that say "are you willing to withold posting if your partner has been incommunicative?" is also a good idea and would lessen the chances of being flaked on. Though I do realise some people still post knowing full well they are planning to flake, but there's not much you can do do with people like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011 07:33:59 AM »

I think the idea some swaps have that say "are you willing to withold posting if your partner has been incommunicative?" is also a good idea and would lessen the chances of being flaked on.

I don't mind holding up on sending a package, but I'd be a little hesitant about holding up CRAFTING because of no/little communication (I've seen that request too). I wouldn't want to 'lose' a week or 2 of craft-time just because someone has computer troubles and can't post to say so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011 10:25:43 AM »

In a perfect swapping world, organizers and swappers who are concerned about lack of communication would go ahead and make the decision to not mail out until they hear from their partner, even if it doesn't state that in the signups. I think most swappers are willing to not send until they hear something back, as no one wants to end up sending to a flaker.

Of course, in a TRUE perfect swapping world, this wouldn't even be an issue, because there would be no flakers.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
Pinterest
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011 04:50:38 PM »

Oh yes I understand that - I always craft the stuff while sending my partner messages every so often to make sure they're still alive. I have held off once on sending and eventually my partner came through and it was all good.

However in saying that, it's good to know you are allowed to hold off on sending if your partner has been uncommunicative and I just thought some of the new swappers may not be aware of that.

I've done close to 20 swaps and so far have been very lucky with partners but I also make a point of telling a partner in my first messages that I communicate a *lot* and would appreciate it if they did to, it seems to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

A2JC4life
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011 12:02:24 PM »

I know the mods have already expressed that a point system isn't preferred, but I thought I'd add a non-moderator's agreement. Wink  I don't like the idea of, for instance, a 5-pt crafter being matched (consistently) with a 5-pt crafter, because then the less experienced never get a real opportunity to grow.  I've not yet organized a swap, but it seems to me that, as an organizer, I would be inclined to match a first-time swapper with someone who is known to be an excellent swapper.  That way we can (as much as humanly possible) ensure that the first-time swapping experience is a good one.  That person may get flaked on - or not get as wonderfully awesome a package - in future swaps, but at least they will already have a great swapping experience to balance it out.  (With that said, the super-great swappers shouldn't *always* be paired with newbies, either, as they deserve to get some amazingly awesome packages, too. Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EkkaGrrl
I'm normal.. the rest of you are crazy!

mmm.. fabric...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011 05:20:45 PM »

On the idea of holding off when it looks like there may be an issue, I have known someone who had a partner that was hit or miss communicating and when she did she had all sorts of reasons why she hadn't started crafting or may be sending late. This person was concerned and kept the organizer up to date. As send out got closer she told the organizer she was worried the girl wasn't going to send because she wasn't answering her messages. The organizer messaged with no response, this person suggested she wait to send. The organizer told her she could do that so she didn't send until she heard from her partner which was after send outs. The organizer gave her positive feedback but added "sent late".  She was really upset that she felt penalized for having a non-communicating partner. I have to agree. Because her partner disappeared for a while she looks like a random late sender. Sad It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I completed my best craft project EVA!! 10 lb 2 oz baby Violet! Born at home in my own bed!! Smiley

Wisty Goodness!
http://wists.com/EkkaGrrl
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011 06:15:42 PM »

On the idea of holding off when it looks like there may be an issue, I have known someone who had a partner that was hit or miss communicating and when she did she had all sorts of reasons why she hadn't started crafting or may be sending late. This person was concerned and kept the organizer up to date. As send out got closer she told the organizer she was worried the girl wasn't going to send because she wasn't answering her messages. The organizer messaged with no response, this person suggested she wait to send. The organizer told her she could do that so she didn't send until she heard from her partner which was after send outs. The organizer gave her positive feedback but added "sent late".  She was really upset that she felt penalized for having a non-communicating partner. I have to agree. Because her partner disappeared for a while she looks like a random late sender. Sad It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I think that's pretty rough myself, I think if I *did* put sent late and it was for a reason like that, I would mention something like "partner didn't communicate so s/he held off on sending initially" so future organisers know that that person likes to communicate but is also willing to avoid being flaked on where possible.
No organiser wants the headache of a flaker - and while it sucks that you don't get anything, at least by not sending out you can keep what you made and still feel like you've participated to some degree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011 06:20:04 PM »

Actually, if an organizer oks a late send, they shouldn't put a comment like that in the feedback. If something like that occurs, or if anyone ever feels like their feedback is unfair, they should open a help desk ticket and let the swap mods take a look at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Facial Toners You Can Make At Home
Need to Know: The Return of Penny Loafers, Cheap Eats, and Closed Circuit
8 Mistakes You Should Avoid When Applying Makeup
How To Prep Oily Skin For Makeup
KateBosworthSKII.Mov
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...