A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: suggestion about reversing negative feedback  (Read 5054 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010 03:14:19 PM »

If we did have that happen, it's because an organizer didn't flag it and ask the swap mods about it. I feel quite sure we would have discussed that. (Of course, it's also possible it happened either before I was a swap mod or after and I have totally forgotten!) I would like to think that if someone approached an organizer to redeem feedback and the organizer noted that they had previously redeemed feedback that they would open a help desk ticket before agreeing to let that person angel. If not, then it's possible it happened without a swap mod noticing.

Also, we are very aware that sometimes life gets in the way with swapping, and we try to give everyone the benefit of a doubt, especially if they let their organizer know what's going on with them and why they aren't able to complete the swap. We think everyone deserves a second chance!

Plus don't organizers have the right to turn people down for being repeatedly late or having flaked in the past???

Yes, they do.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010 04:08:16 PM »

Yes.  I suppose it could have been hammered out with the mods.  Not sure because I didnt exactly inquire. 

I dont know.  I think there is inherently a bit of risk involved with this sort of thing.  I think craftster does a brilliant job handling it.  The angel system is fab.  I do think the idea of sending to the original partner is good.  I know its an option but maybe it should be the requirement unless 1) the original partner doesnt want that or 2) the original partner cannot be found.   

Other than that...organizers should perhaps feel more free to use the veto option.  If its in the sign up thread and maybe highlighted so its hard to miss that previous flakers and habitually late senders wont be accepted, it might do a good bit to discouraging those folks from joining and if they do try, the organizer can point to that bit in the sign ups.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010 04:27:56 PM »

I do agree rlynn I think that craftster handles swapping so well. I signed up with swap bot..when I was in a major swapping obsession, but I never actually swapped with it, as craftster, is so much more personal. The positives and the safety nets in the system far far outweighs any glitches. And the swap mods are so approachable, which makes any slight hiccups so much easier to deal with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sum1smuma
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011 09:37:44 AM »

These all seem like legit concerns and maybe I am in the wrong thread but ....why are the feedbacks not given by the swappers?

And what about being allowed to respond to negative feedback...shouldn't that be allowed too? i know I would want to respond if that happened to me.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011 09:40:35 AM by lapoli - Reason: Please keep specific swap details private. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011 09:42:49 AM »

Just a reminder - Please keep specific swap details private.  You can always talk about swapping in general but please refrain from mentioning specific incidents, swaps, names, etc that could result in hurt feelings.

The only way you'll end up with negative feedback is if you don't send a package.  There's generally no arguing about when someone flakes, so I'm not sure what the point of responding to a negative would be?  Is that what you meant?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sum1smuma
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011 01:36:39 PM »

So sorry if you felt I provided too much info. But I think that is the problem...no one is accountable for their swap behaviour. All that is expected is something sent?! I have heard from other people that they feel the same way..I guess it is not allowed to be discussed openly here. I'm sorry I did not realize.

I still feel feed back should come from those who participated not just the organizers. Or maybe swappers should be asked prior to feedback given by the organizers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011 01:42:18 PM »

We try to make sure everyone is accountable for their swap behavior. If you have an issue that you feel needs to be addressed, please open a help desk ticket and a swap mod will be glad to assist you.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011 01:52:24 PM »

Actually I would be in favour of some more detailed kind of feedback. I have been thinking about this and wondering how it should work. I think there should be a numeric scale (this would be in addition to the current comments by the organiser).

Both the recipient of the swap package and the organiser should rate the sender..eg a mark out of 5

-the organiser/mods/craftster- would need to provide guidance on what the rating 'standards' would be. This would be similar to the current guidance that exists across all swaps, for the points system.

for example 1=met mininium requirements
2=minimum with additional effort/extras

etc, right up to

5=Significantly exceeded expectations, in terms of amount, quality, effort or $$ expended.

Both ratings would be combined using some computer trickery to give an average mark for that swap
And each swappers rating for every swap that they do should be combined to give an over all average,

Example...if in swap A I got 3  and then Swap B I got 2, my standing average going into the next swap would be 2.5

This would have the effect of getting people to consistently work to improve their averages (we are all  human after all) A low average wouldn't bar someone from swapping, but it would mean that swap organisers can pair up people with similar averages, so that people who spoil get matched with other people who spoil. It would always be possible for people to improve the quality/effort they put in, so that the swapping process just gets better...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011 05:10:44 PM »

The idea of a rating system for feedback has been brought up before.  Though it tends to gain momentum and die back down, the swap mods all feel that instituting a rating system is not, ultimately, in the best interest of our community.

Craftster is meant to be a community where you can be inspired to create and craft no matter what your skill level.  We all started at some point and all of us, no matter what our current skill level, are working to improve and perfect our art.  Our feedback system (positive/negative) is purposely blunt--it's not subjective to an organizer's whim, the moderators or a partner who is in a bad mood.  Our system is predictable and stable.

Having organized many swaps in the past, I can tell you that the best swap  matches aren't always 5s with 5s or 3s with 3s.  Being a good swap organizer is more than matching people based on skill--it's about finding similarities in style, in communication and in utility--and organizing a swap with well-matched partners takes a great deal of time.  Throughout the last several months, we've been trying to identify organizers who consistently run good swaps in hopes that they can share some of their methods and procedures with new or less-experienced organizers.

The other matter here is that a rating system is very arbitrary and there's no way that we feel we can effectively police a system while maintaining a fair environment where people feel welcomed and included.  What some people might rank a "2", others might rank a "3" or a "4". There's no way that everyone will rank others in the same way, and with the same degree of criteria, no matter how detailed and well documented a system like this might be. All of us are human, and we (the swap mods) are not adequately equipped to be judge and jury in matters of rating disputes, which will most certainly crop up often.

I understand the points you're trying to make, but I guess I'm wondering if there are ways that we can utilize the system we already have to make things better.  For one, I really think our Featured Organizer feature and our "great swap organizers I've known" thread are great starting points to help make our swapping world a happier place.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011 11:20:05 AM »

i have been swapping for a while and have many swaps and angels out of the goodness of my heart (didnt need FOC 3 times in 6 weeks) and i have been flaked on 3 times and unfortunately i have had a flaking issue myself. i had just had a baby (as well as a 2, 4 and 6 year old) and was fine one day and NOT so fine the next. it took MONTHS to come back to the community as well in health (i'm still not 100%) my health issues prevented me from sending the original package so i angeled twice for the same swap to redeem feedback and have angeled for a LARGE swap since then and just today was about to offer to angel again.

my swap packages are always more than whats expected and many times i barely get the bare minimum in return. i am using this as an example not complaining - but i dont feel like there needs to be a rating system. if you are expecting etsy quality handmade things custom to your tastes DONT SIGN UP!!! swapping isnt a "who is the best" competition. its fellowship and inspiration. if you go into a swap thinking or expecting what you put into it then you may get disappointed but you also may be surprised with a huge spoiler package and in my opinion when someone does go above and beyond the call of swap package that makes up for any of the lesser packages.

the organizers are brutally honest most of the time. sometime way out harsh but there again if you are going to organize then you should be prepared to honest in feedback. i make sure i am and i do ask my swappers (privately or in discussion) to pm me if they have any comments i should include in feedback. that is MY job as an organizer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Anthropographia Photo Exhibit on Human Rights
How to Take 3D Photographs
World Press Photo: Selection Process
Fashion and Beauty Photography Techniques
How to Create Ringflash Style Portraits on a Budget
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...