A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,145
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: suggestion about reversing negative feedback  (Read 7248 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 19, 2010 09:03:18 AM »

I am a little swap burned out at the moment..so forgive me if this comes across as a little tetchy..its not meant to be

But I think the nicest, kindest and best way to reverse negative feedback is to resend to the original partner that was flaked on. Presumably the original partner will have received an angel package,  but their faith in human nature and the swap process will have been damaged because of the original flaking and I think that they most of all should be the recipient of the 'new' package..

---->plus someone, out of the goodness of their heart angelled..It would be cool if they got a little something too, from someone who is reversing a negative..(unless they have got FOC or reversed a negative themselves.  from the process of angelling)<-----

so my suggestion is for a sticky on the angel board, to remind people that if they are looking to reverse a neg, that they should first and foremost consider resending the original...I have seen a lot of people complain that opportunities for angelling are quickly snapped up, so if they were reminded (In very big letters!) that they can play nice and soothe the original ruffled feathers of the flakee..That would be good..

I would also love to see a list of flakers from personal swaps..but I know that they are not supported by craftster, so it is probably not possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

personal swaps...yes please

you know you want to...go on go on go on

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Smmarrt

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010 10:13:15 AM »

I agree, Edel. I was flaked on in a swap over a year ago. The flaker did contact me (and the other partners in the group) and offered to return our original pieces, and even embellish/decorate them, as the original swap called for. Then nothing.

I checked the flaker's profile and she has cleaned up her negative by angeling for another swap, and I am still without my missing things. I have even PM'ed her myself to ask her to please return the bits I sent.

I know that the negative still exists (if you read all the feedback) but I'd love my stuff back. 18 months and counting. So it would go a long way to restoring my Craftster happiness. It's a small thing but meaningful, to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Fabric Art Journal Page Swap? Any takers?
4 x 6 Art Swap in mid-April
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010 10:20:08 AM »

The problem with being flaked on is that it really does affect your view of swapping and i really think that while angels are wonderful...at least the ones that are doing it with no return...the original swapper needs a bit of TLC over and above the norm, just to be able to feel that it has all be resolved well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010 10:23:25 AM »

is there a limit to how many times someone can reverse negative feedback? Personally I think someone should get one reverse..then be treated as a regular swapper...but if it happens again... the recompense should be  at least doubled..ie two angel packages, the original flakee, a new angel and a small to the organiser for all the hassle...

and three strikes and you are out

Yes I am draconian..but maybe this is already done?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010 02:21:31 PM »

is there a limit to how many times someone can reverse negative feedback? Personally I think someone should get one reverse..then be treated as a regular swapper...but if it happens again... the recompense should be  at least doubled..ie two angel packages, the original flakee, a new angel and a small to the organiser for all the hassle...

and three strikes and you are out

Yes I am draconian..but maybe this is already done?

These are interesting ideas, edelC. I've also been wondering if there is a limit to how many reversals someone can have. It does seem that repeat offenders should be prevented from swapping. I'd also be curious if something could be done for repeat late senders or poor communicators as well. That would probably logistically be tough to manage but I do think that some kind of pentalities should be applied to those folks as well. Sometimes it's actually easier to deal with a flaker than it is to deal with someone who sends late and is nearly impossible to reach Smiley.

I also wanted to add that I organized a recent swap and had one of my participants experience a family tragedy during the course of the swap and was unable to send. I am aware that sometimes people "flake" for reasons that are beyond their control. That might be one of the reasons that there isn't a permanent no-swap ban??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010 03:18:14 PM »

limeriot...it think that you are right in that there have to be allowances for exceptional circumstance, like bereavement etc. which is where I think there should be more than one chance, but I have seen people with three reversals on their profile..I think that is a bit too much personally..

.and yes I can see how in some ways its much easier to deal with an outright flaker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010 03:34:37 PM »

I think there should be more than one chance, but I have seen people with three reversals on their profile..I think that is a bit too much personally..

.and yes I can see how in some ways its much easier to deal with an outright flaker.

I totally agree - three reversals is too many. I know we can technically refuse swappers but I think it would be difficult if it wasn't an official Craftster rule. I find it difficult to partner these people because I want everyone to have a good experience and I always fear that someone with a poor swap history will let down their partner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010 04:35:20 PM »

yup and it makes the job of organising a lot more stressful...because you will be worried that they will flake again. I have known (gold medal deserving organisers) who always took the potential flaker for themselves as they didn't want someone else to be flaked on. And that's not right either. Personally i think it will be personal swaps mostly for me from now on..not that I haven't been flaked on in personal swaps a time or three..but mostly they are great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010 01:42:38 PM »

While we don't have a hard and fast policy on "return flakers", I'm almost positive we have never had a case where someone flaked, came back and redeemed their feedback, flaked again, and then tried once more to return. We would definitely look into making some sort of judgment on a situation like that, and most probably, we would not allow that swapper to swap again.

Sometimes someone may have up to five swaps in their profile where they have redeemed negative feedback, but what you see there is someone who was unable to complete several swaps at once, not someone who keeps coming back, fixing things up and then flaking again.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010 02:31:50 PM »

While we don't have a hard and fast policy on "return flakers", I'm almost positive we have never had a case where someone flaked, came back and redeemed their feedback, flaked again, and then tried once more to return. We would definitely look into making some sort of judgment on a situation like that, and most probably, we would not allow that swapper to swap again.

Sometimes someone may have up to five swaps in their profile where they have redeemed negative feedback, but what you see there is someone who was unable to complete several swaps at once, not someone who keeps coming back, fixing things up and then flaking again.   Smiley

You have had this.  I know because I thought there was a rule about it and was surprised to see someone angeling to redeem feedback for the 2nd time.  The flaking incidents were a year apart so it clearly was a second separate flake situation and not a multiple flake situation.

That said, I dont know if I feel one way or another about it.  I am thankful I was able to clean up my negative feedback but it also happened in 2004, I cleaned it up in 2008 and have a number of successful swaps since then.  If something were to happen like a family emergency that caused me to fail at my craft obligations I would hate to be banned because of that previous negative.  The 2004 incident was a while ago and I did actually send, my partner also disappeared, my DC # apparently was faulty,  and I switched emails so I was no longer getting notification of crafster PMs, which means it could never be determined whether I sent.   I was actually shocked and embarrassed to come back in 2008 to find I had a negative.

I think it probably does have to be on an individual basis.  Im not sure if there is a better way to deal with it.  Plus don't organizers have the right to turn people down for being repeatedly late or having flaked in the past???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010 03:14:19 PM »

If we did have that happen, it's because an organizer didn't flag it and ask the swap mods about it. I feel quite sure we would have discussed that. (Of course, it's also possible it happened either before I was a swap mod or after and I have totally forgotten!) I would like to think that if someone approached an organizer to redeem feedback and the organizer noted that they had previously redeemed feedback that they would open a help desk ticket before agreeing to let that person angel. If not, then it's possible it happened without a swap mod noticing.

Also, we are very aware that sometimes life gets in the way with swapping, and we try to give everyone the benefit of a doubt, especially if they let their organizer know what's going on with them and why they aren't able to complete the swap. We think everyone deserves a second chance!

Plus don't organizers have the right to turn people down for being repeatedly late or having flaked in the past???

Yes, they do.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010 04:08:16 PM »

Yes.  I suppose it could have been hammered out with the mods.  Not sure because I didnt exactly inquire. 

I dont know.  I think there is inherently a bit of risk involved with this sort of thing.  I think craftster does a brilliant job handling it.  The angel system is fab.  I do think the idea of sending to the original partner is good.  I know its an option but maybe it should be the requirement unless 1) the original partner doesnt want that or 2) the original partner cannot be found.   

Other than that...organizers should perhaps feel more free to use the veto option.  If its in the sign up thread and maybe highlighted so its hard to miss that previous flakers and habitually late senders wont be accepted, it might do a good bit to discouraging those folks from joining and if they do try, the organizer can point to that bit in the sign ups.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010 04:27:56 PM »

I do agree rlynn I think that craftster handles swapping so well. I signed up with swap bot..when I was in a major swapping obsession, but I never actually swapped with it, as craftster, is so much more personal. The positives and the safety nets in the system far far outweighs any glitches. And the swap mods are so approachable, which makes any slight hiccups so much easier to deal with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
sum1smuma
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011 09:37:44 AM »

These all seem like legit concerns and maybe I am in the wrong thread but ....why are the feedbacks not given by the swappers?

And what about being allowed to respond to negative feedback...shouldn't that be allowed too? i know I would want to respond if that happened to me.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011 09:40:35 AM by lapoli - Reason: Please keep specific swap details private. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011 09:42:49 AM »

Just a reminder - Please keep specific swap details private.  You can always talk about swapping in general but please refrain from mentioning specific incidents, swaps, names, etc that could result in hurt feelings.

The only way you'll end up with negative feedback is if you don't send a package.  There's generally no arguing about when someone flakes, so I'm not sure what the point of responding to a negative would be?  Is that what you meant?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sum1smuma
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011 01:36:39 PM »

So sorry if you felt I provided too much info. But I think that is the problem...no one is accountable for their swap behaviour. All that is expected is something sent?! I have heard from other people that they feel the same way..I guess it is not allowed to be discussed openly here. I'm sorry I did not realize.

I still feel feed back should come from those who participated not just the organizers. Or maybe swappers should be asked prior to feedback given by the organizers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011 01:42:18 PM »

We try to make sure everyone is accountable for their swap behavior. If you have an issue that you feel needs to be addressed, please open a help desk ticket and a swap mod will be glad to assist you.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011 01:52:24 PM »

Actually I would be in favour of some more detailed kind of feedback. I have been thinking about this and wondering how it should work. I think there should be a numeric scale (this would be in addition to the current comments by the organiser).

Both the recipient of the swap package and the organiser should rate the sender..eg a mark out of 5

-the organiser/mods/craftster- would need to provide guidance on what the rating 'standards' would be. This would be similar to the current guidance that exists across all swaps, for the points system.

for example 1=met mininium requirements
2=minimum with additional effort/extras

etc, right up to

5=Significantly exceeded expectations, in terms of amount, quality, effort or $$ expended.

Both ratings would be combined using some computer trickery to give an average mark for that swap
And each swappers rating for every swap that they do should be combined to give an over all average,

Example...if in swap A I got 3  and then Swap B I got 2, my standing average going into the next swap would be 2.5

This would have the effect of getting people to consistently work to improve their averages (we are all  human after all) A low average wouldn't bar someone from swapping, but it would mean that swap organisers can pair up people with similar averages, so that people who spoil get matched with other people who spoil. It would always be possible for people to improve the quality/effort they put in, so that the swapping process just gets better...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011 05:10:44 PM »

The idea of a rating system for feedback has been brought up before.  Though it tends to gain momentum and die back down, the swap mods all feel that instituting a rating system is not, ultimately, in the best interest of our community.

Craftster is meant to be a community where you can be inspired to create and craft no matter what your skill level.  We all started at some point and all of us, no matter what our current skill level, are working to improve and perfect our art.  Our feedback system (positive/negative) is purposely blunt--it's not subjective to an organizer's whim, the moderators or a partner who is in a bad mood.  Our system is predictable and stable.

Having organized many swaps in the past, I can tell you that the best swap  matches aren't always 5s with 5s or 3s with 3s.  Being a good swap organizer is more than matching people based on skill--it's about finding similarities in style, in communication and in utility--and organizing a swap with well-matched partners takes a great deal of time.  Throughout the last several months, we've been trying to identify organizers who consistently run good swaps in hopes that they can share some of their methods and procedures with new or less-experienced organizers.

The other matter here is that a rating system is very arbitrary and there's no way that we feel we can effectively police a system while maintaining a fair environment where people feel welcomed and included.  What some people might rank a "2", others might rank a "3" or a "4". There's no way that everyone will rank others in the same way, and with the same degree of criteria, no matter how detailed and well documented a system like this might be. All of us are human, and we (the swap mods) are not adequately equipped to be judge and jury in matters of rating disputes, which will most certainly crop up often.

I understand the points you're trying to make, but I guess I'm wondering if there are ways that we can utilize the system we already have to make things better.  For one, I really think our Featured Organizer feature and our "great swap organizers I've known" thread are great starting points to help make our swapping world a happier place.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011 11:20:05 AM »

i have been swapping for a while and have many swaps and angels out of the goodness of my heart (didnt need FOC 3 times in 6 weeks) and i have been flaked on 3 times and unfortunately i have had a flaking issue myself. i had just had a baby (as well as a 2, 4 and 6 year old) and was fine one day and NOT so fine the next. it took MONTHS to come back to the community as well in health (i'm still not 100%) my health issues prevented me from sending the original package so i angeled twice for the same swap to redeem feedback and have angeled for a LARGE swap since then and just today was about to offer to angel again.

my swap packages are always more than whats expected and many times i barely get the bare minimum in return. i am using this as an example not complaining - but i dont feel like there needs to be a rating system. if you are expecting etsy quality handmade things custom to your tastes DONT SIGN UP!!! swapping isnt a "who is the best" competition. its fellowship and inspiration. if you go into a swap thinking or expecting what you put into it then you may get disappointed but you also may be surprised with a huge spoiler package and in my opinion when someone does go above and beyond the call of swap package that makes up for any of the lesser packages.

the organizers are brutally honest most of the time. sometime way out harsh but there again if you are going to organize then you should be prepared to honest in feedback. i make sure i am and i do ask my swappers (privately or in discussion) to pm me if they have any comments i should include in feedback. that is MY job as an organizer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
KrisCreates

Keep on rockin' in the craft world!

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011 01:22:06 PM »

I agree with you edelC!  I have been flaked on 3 times (times 2 and 3 were with one partner that I had simultaneously for 2 swaps.  We agreed to send one big package, I sent a huge box to her and got nothing in return, that sucked a lot)

It sucks to be flaked on and I don't understand why people redeem their feedback by sending to someone else,  I know I would very much appreciate it if someone who had previously flaked on me sent a package.  I know that now I specifically avoid swaps that I see many people who have previously flaked joining.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

'Best of 2014' Winner

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011 06:04:20 AM »

How about to reverse your negative, either send what you signed up for to your original partner, OR, send two angel packages?  That would give an incentive to meet the original swap commitment. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011 06:46:32 AM »

MissingWillow. I like that idea, assuming the original swap partner is contactable...I personally believe that resending the original package should always be the default, especially since i believe that it is difficult for people to find an opportunity to angel, I know there is an FOCS angelling thing going at the moment, but outside of that.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
sunspotted
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011 07:54:38 PM »

I see people in that FOC angel swap going on right now who flaked in a swap I was running just a few months ago.  I know all their partners are still around and I just don`t understand why they would choose that option and not just put on their big girl panties and send to their original partners.  It`s frustrating but people often choose the path of least resistance. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need something crocheted?  I'll swap amis, afghans, shawls or whatever for a box of yarn.  Smiley
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011 01:14:26 PM »

I see people in that FOC angel swap going on right now who flaked in a swap I was running just a few months ago.  I know all their partners are still around and I just don`t understand why they would choose that option and not just put on their big girl panties and send to their original partners.  It`s frustrating but people often choose the path of least resistance. 

yup..I'd imagine that mostly original partners are still around..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011 06:35:37 PM »

We know life happens sometimes, and that's why we're happy to host the 2nd Chance swap every now and then.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
sunspotted
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011 06:38:16 PM »

yup..I'd imagine that mostly original partners are still around..

WOW! Just caught up on this thread and must put in my two cents on the topic.  I just completed the FOC 2nd chance swap and reversed 2, yes 2, negatives.  When I saw this opportunity it lifted my spirits and I was very grateful to have the chance to get back into good standing.  Now that feedback is positive again, I'm not jumping right into swapping again because I really want to make it up to the craftsters I flaked on.  And, I'm not the only one from this swap that's doing that... Click here for her post.  I know what I thought about flakers before extenuating circumstances turned me into one.  I wouldn't lump everyone who ever flaked into the same category, you just never know one's story!

I'm not lumping everyone together, I was making a statement about the three or so people who flaked in a recent swap I organized.  However, while the Second Chance Swap is a nice idea, I still think the best redemption comes from making things up to your original partner.  A few years ago I got pneumonia while participating in a couple of swaps.  I was too sick to send on time, so I got negative feedback which was very deserved.  When I was well again, I contacted my original partners and swap organizers, completed and sent their packages and reversed my negatives that way.  They had deserved and received angel packages but I still wanted to fulfill my obligations.  In my mind I just think you should make things up to your original partner (if possible) before angeling or participating in this redemption swap, but that is completely just my opinion.  I'm glad people are using the opportunity to come back to swapping and hope that they are all as responsible as you about jumping back into it.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need something crocheted?  I'll swap amis, afghans, shawls or whatever for a box of yarn.  Smiley
MoonlitSun
Never stop believing. Stars never do.

We all need a little magic in our lives.

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011 07:46:36 AM »

Am I the only non-FOC commenting here? 0-0
Anyways, i just wanted to add something. It is true that maybe to redeem themselves, flakers should resend the original package and a little thank you (probably a letter to keep cost minimal) to the angel. But seeing it at another angle, the one flaked on would have received 2 packages, i.e double goodness, and in a way, it could be unfair for the others.
The 2nd chance swap seems the best alternative, maybe the flaker can just send a sorry letter to the one she/he flaked on, explaining the circumstances that prevented her from sending, and maybe adding a small chocolate sweet to boost the one flaked on's mood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a CHOCAHOLIC! Dare eat chocolate in front of me! xD
My Pinterest ^_^

Yay for personal swaps! Message me anytime ^_^
Currently looking for aida cloths! 14 or 20 count, or anything you can part with!
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011 03:53:16 PM »

Two packages can help make up for the fact that someone who is flaked on has been waiting a long time to get their package.  While everyone in the swap may be excitedly posting about what they sent and received, by the time it is determined that a swapper has been flaked on, then an angel secured, then crafting and mailing time for the angel's package the swap is long over with.  For many people participating in the buzz of a swap is as important as the making and receiving of crafts and it definitely can take a little fun out of the process when you finally have something to post and everyone has gone on to other swaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!

STS Spring Market 2016 signups close April 3!

I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art..."  Vladimir Nabok
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011 05:08:12 PM »

alteredmommy...well said..and I would add that the experience of being flaked on is very disheartening for the flakee and it can really taint the swapping process, so having recompense of two packages might go some way towards making that up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011 06:48:42 PM »

What's most hurtful to me about being flaked on isn't necessarily not receiving a package (although that's a bummer), it's more about feeling that the work, thought, time, money, etc that I put into creating a special gift for someone wasn't appreciated or acknowledged. Also, I think it's easy to assume that the recipient didn't like what you made for them which isn't a very nice feeling.

For that reason especially, I think it would be nice for flakers to send their original packages and acknowledge that they appreciated what you had created but life just got too busy to express that at the time Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011 08:06:53 PM »

For that reason especially, I think it would be nice for flakers to send their original packages and acknowledge that they appreciated what you had created but life just got too busy to express that at the time Smiley.

This would definitely always happen in the perfect world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011 06:10:29 AM »

What's most hurtful to me about being flaked on isn't necessarily not receiving a package (although that's a bummer), it's more about feeling that the work, thought, time, money, etc that I put into creating a special gift for someone wasn't appreciated or acknowledged. Also, I think it's easy to assume that the recipient didn't like what you made for them which isn't a very nice feeling.

I think the same goes if you angel a swap (especially if you're just doing it to be nice, not because you have negative feedback), that the person you angel for is appreciative of your efforts. I understand that it's hard to be enthusiastic after being flaked on, but I think if I got flaked on and then someone angelled for me because they could, I'd be stoked they were so nice as to make it up to me.

I think the idea some swaps have that say "are you willing to withold posting if your partner has been incommunicative?" is also a good idea and would lessen the chances of being flaked on. Though I do realise some people still post knowing full well they are planning to flake, but there's not much you can do do with people like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
50 SWAPS COMPLETE
1 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011 07:33:59 AM »

I think the idea some swaps have that say "are you willing to withold posting if your partner has been incommunicative?" is also a good idea and would lessen the chances of being flaked on.

I don't mind holding up on sending a package, but I'd be a little hesitant about holding up CRAFTING because of no/little communication (I've seen that request too). I wouldn't want to 'lose' a week or 2 of craft-time just because someone has computer troubles and can't post to say so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011 10:25:43 AM »

In a perfect swapping world, organizers and swappers who are concerned about lack of communication would go ahead and make the decision to not mail out until they hear from their partner, even if it doesn't state that in the signups. I think most swappers are willing to not send until they hear something back, as no one wants to end up sending to a flaker.

Of course, in a TRUE perfect swapping world, this wouldn't even be an issue, because there would be no flakers.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011 04:50:38 PM »

Oh yes I understand that - I always craft the stuff while sending my partner messages every so often to make sure they're still alive. I have held off once on sending and eventually my partner came through and it was all good.

However in saying that, it's good to know you are allowed to hold off on sending if your partner has been uncommunicative and I just thought some of the new swappers may not be aware of that.

I've done close to 20 swaps and so far have been very lucky with partners but I also make a point of telling a partner in my first messages that I communicate a *lot* and would appreciate it if they did to, it seems to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
50 SWAPS COMPLETE
1 IN PROCESS

A2JC4life
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011 12:02:24 PM »

I know the mods have already expressed that a point system isn't preferred, but I thought I'd add a non-moderator's agreement. Wink  I don't like the idea of, for instance, a 5-pt crafter being matched (consistently) with a 5-pt crafter, because then the less experienced never get a real opportunity to grow.  I've not yet organized a swap, but it seems to me that, as an organizer, I would be inclined to match a first-time swapper with someone who is known to be an excellent swapper.  That way we can (as much as humanly possible) ensure that the first-time swapping experience is a good one.  That person may get flaked on - or not get as wonderfully awesome a package - in future swaps, but at least they will already have a great swapping experience to balance it out.  (With that said, the super-great swappers shouldn't *always* be paired with newbies, either, as they deserve to get some amazingly awesome packages, too. Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EkkaGrrl
I'm normal.. the rest of you are crazy!

mmm.. fabric...

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011 05:20:45 PM »

On the idea of holding off when it looks like there may be an issue, I have known someone who had a partner that was hit or miss communicating and when she did she had all sorts of reasons why she hadn't started crafting or may be sending late. This person was concerned and kept the organizer up to date. As send out got closer she told the organizer she was worried the girl wasn't going to send because she wasn't answering her messages. The organizer messaged with no response, this person suggested she wait to send. The organizer told her she could do that so she didn't send until she heard from her partner which was after send outs. The organizer gave her positive feedback but added "sent late".  She was really upset that she felt penalized for having a non-communicating partner. I have to agree. Because her partner disappeared for a while she looks like a random late sender. Sad It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I completed my best craft project EVA!! 10 lb 2 oz baby Violet! Born at home in my own bed!! Smiley

Wisty Goodness!
http://wists.com/EkkaGrrl
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011 06:15:42 PM »

On the idea of holding off when it looks like there may be an issue, I have known someone who had a partner that was hit or miss communicating and when she did she had all sorts of reasons why she hadn't started crafting or may be sending late. This person was concerned and kept the organizer up to date. As send out got closer she told the organizer she was worried the girl wasn't going to send because she wasn't answering her messages. The organizer messaged with no response, this person suggested she wait to send. The organizer told her she could do that so she didn't send until she heard from her partner which was after send outs. The organizer gave her positive feedback but added "sent late".  She was really upset that she felt penalized for having a non-communicating partner. I have to agree. Because her partner disappeared for a while she looks like a random late sender. Sad It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I think that's pretty rough myself, I think if I *did* put sent late and it was for a reason like that, I would mention something like "partner didn't communicate so s/he held off on sending initially" so future organisers know that that person likes to communicate but is also willing to avoid being flaked on where possible.
No organiser wants the headache of a flaker - and while it sucks that you don't get anything, at least by not sending out you can keep what you made and still feel like you've participated to some degree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 SWAPS COMPLETE
1 IN PROCESS

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011 06:20:04 PM »

Actually, if an organizer oks a late send, they shouldn't put a comment like that in the feedback. If something like that occurs, or if anyone ever feels like their feedback is unfair, they should open a help desk ticket and let the swap mods take a look at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie Every Time
How to Make Peach and Moonshine Jam
Mascarpone and Marmalade Ice Cream Recipe
Gluten & Dairy Free Rich Chocolate Nut Cookies
No-Bake Fresh Strawberry Pie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Belted Chair Seat
Tute Tuesday: Rainbow Skirt
Who? Who Loves Owls?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...