A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,793
Currently Running With Scissors:
804 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy knit headband- great stashbuster or last minute gift  (Read 2058 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , headband  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

modgeek
« on: December 18, 2010 07:22:30 PM »

I'm still relatively new to knitting, as until last week the last time I knitted was 2 years ago! I decided to get crazy and try knitting in the round (for the first time) and also try new stitches. For the life of me, I fumbled doing a purl stitch 2 years ago and now it's super easy.  Cheesy I tested out the simple basketweave stitch and decided to make myself a headband for fall/winter. Yesterday I made one for my mom and am going to make a few more for gifts.

Here's a side by side comparison. Mine is the purple one made with Caron Simply Soft acrylic yarn in orchid. (I made it long enough to fit my big head. Plus, the acrylic yarn doesn't stretch as much as wool). The multicolored one is for my mom and made with Patons Classic Wool yarn in harvest.

Close up of shiny acrylic yarn and basketweave stitch:

Close up of wool yarn colors and basketweave stitch:

Here's the pattern for the headbands:
*I used size 7 needles for these. They're 16 stitches wide which was about 3" for the wool headband and 3.25" for the acrylic headband.
Cast on 16sts.
Row 1: knit
Rows 2-6: K4, p4, k4, p4
Row 7: knit
Rows 8-12: P4, k4p4k4
Rep Rows 1-12 until desired length. (I would recommend periodically measuring your piece while stretching it since some fibers are stretchier than others. Make sure to dry block it back into shape before continuing stitching).
*For my acrylic yarn (and big head) I repeated 12 times to make 24 "blocks" of basketweave. For the wool yarn, I repeated 10 times and then repeated rows 1-6 to make 23 "blocks." Even though I made only 1 "block" less for the wool headband, it is much shorter than the acrylic headband and stretches almost as much.
Last row: knit
Cast off.
Weave excess yarn at both ends into piece.
Stitch both ends together.

They have a cool texture without doing cables (which I want to tackle but they seem a little scary). Plus they knit up fast and are super easy, as long as you keep track of what row you're on.

Happy knitting and Happy Holidays! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sempster Eadem
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010 05:50:34 PM »

I love knitting headbands. The basketweave stitch looks great; just complicated enough to be more interesting than stockinette or garter, but still simple enough not to be stressful. Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010 06:53:17 AM »

Nice stashbusting projects and welcome back to knitting!

Love the variegated look of the Patons headband and the orchid color is so pretty! Caron SS is definitely my favorite of the acrylic yarn: it washes up so soft, just like its name and there is lots of yardage per skein  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fashion Tips for Your Body Shape: Triangle
How to Look Like a Bollywood Star
How to Look Like a Beauty Queen
How to Tie a Turban
How to Run in High Heels
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...