A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please help me find mosaic tiles to finish this table!  (Read 630 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aurelia615
Rrriot Librrrarian

View Profile WWW
« on: May 25, 2005 01:35:17 PM »

Hi everyone,
over the weekend i bought a really great little table (plant stand?) that has a mosaic design on the top.  Part of the mosaic is gone, but I bought it anyway thinking that small mosaic tiles couldn't be hard to find.  I checked in town at a local bead store and they don't carry them, I checked at Joann's and theirs are all too big, and i did a google search for them and came up with a bunch of sites that do mosaic for hottubs and floors and stuff (also way too big).  At the Joann's site there was a user review of the ones that were too big and the person mentioned breaking them with a hammer.  Is this what I should do?  Help me please, I'm a knitter and don't stray much from yarn.  This is pretty new to me and I thought it was something I could tackle but now I'm not so sure I can find this stuff.
Any help is appreciated Smiley
Thanks!
-Jen
P.S. I hope this is an appropriate board to post this at, I wasn't sure where it should go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Listen to me.  These people walk imaginary pets.  On a f***ing leash. And they're all heavily armed and drunk.  New York is boring.  I'll call you later."  -John Cusack in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
My blog: http://cabbageeatsyarn.blogspot.com
Vanessa Cyanide
You won't like me.

Couture is lame. End of story.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005 01:42:25 PM »

You can smash up tiles with hammers and use the peices that fit, or you can get a cutter. They sell them at most craft stores, but Im not sure how much they cost. But if you do catch the bug for making mosaics, youd have the tools already!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cyanidekustoms.bravehost.com
"I dont give a fu*k about punk rock no more" -The Dwarves
I want to give the Devil back the Devils' rock n roll!
Motorcycles and cars made of METAL....nothing gets to a girls heart faster... oh yea-  And crafting stuff that gives off toxic fumes....mmm m
SKN725
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005 05:57:09 PM »

I think if you use a glass cutter(the one with the little wheel on the end) to score larger tiles in the size and sgape you want to use, you may be able to break them in that shape with two pairs of pliers.  The glass cutters are very cheap in any hardware store and maybe you won't have to spend more fixing this table up than you did buying it.  Ha, ha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soychicka
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005 06:59:23 AM »

what you're prolly looking for are called smalti; you can google them, or if there's a Pearl Arts + Crafts near you they should have them.  Also, the manufacturer's name is mosaic mercantile; you can buy them and slightly larger 3/4" tiles on their web site, mosaicmercantile.co m.

otherwise, if you post a pic, i could prolly help figure out if you needed another kind of tile.
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HeyVern
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005 08:21:14 AM »

the best price for mosaics are at www.mosaictilearts. com

you can buy individual tiles or a sheet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.thecraftykind.etsy.com   Fused Glass Beads and findings
http://www.bungalowbettie.etsy.com   adult coloring book
aurelia615
Rrriot Librrrarian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005 07:33:56 PM »

I ended up finding 1" tiles and a tile cutter at Hobby Lobby (though I hate going there).  I then decided that the table needed grouting, so I grouted it.  Then my roommate told me about this stuff called Envirofix that you pour onto tables and stuff that is equal to 50 coats of varnish, it creates a glass-like surface and waterproofs stuff.  So while my table is looking WONDERFUL, it ended up costing 45 dollars in the end... yikes... but now i have a tile cutter and lots of extra tiles and tile glue to maybe attack something else?
Thanks for all the advice Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Listen to me.  These people walk imaginary pets.  On a f***ing leash. And they're all heavily armed and drunk.  New York is boring.  I'll call you later."  -John Cusack in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
My blog: http://cabbageeatsyarn.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Toga
How to Make an Elf Costume
How to Make a Paper Balloon Water Bomb
How to Make a No-Sew Safety Pin Purse
How to Make a Paper Gun
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...