A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Local yarn (wool)? Toronto or the south?  (Read 1011 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

-zoma-

finally a picture of me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 18, 2010 05:28:24 AM »

Last year I purchased ten skeins of local, unprocessed yarn from the farmers market (from the guy who sells lamb chops) and I just now used it all up.... and I want more. It was a little rough, but I love the smell of the lanolin and it made fabulously warm slippers. And, it was only $4 a skein.

So, what I'm looking for is somewhere to buy more local, unprocessed and preferably cheap wool. I don't mind driving out to a farm or something - it'd make for a nice day trip.

I thought maybe St. Jacobs - but I don't want to waste a trip if I don't find what I'm looking for... any advice?

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sum1smuma
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010 12:28:32 PM »

I have been wondering about this too. I am interested in trying felting but cannot even find a felting needle. Great question and I hope someone has the answer. But while reading this I just thought of an artist friend who may know something...I will ask and let you know. Or there is a little yarn shop where I live..hmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010 09:22:31 PM »

I have been wondering about this too. I am interested in trying felting but cannot even find a felting needle. Great question and I hope someone has the answer. But while reading this I just thought of an artist friend who may know something...I will ask and let you know. Or there is a little yarn shop where I live..hmm.

Romni Wool on Queen West (Palmerston and Queen), at the check out they carry felting needles (I think they have a 10 pack for about $10, unless they raised the price), and in the basement they carry wool fibres.  There are some 1 lb bags of various types and combinations of undyed fibres, there is coloured fibres, and smaller sample packs of coloured fibres.  They also carry the various items you need for spinning your own wool.

Otherwise, try contacting the various knitting/needlecraft guilds in Toronto and the surrounding region, perhaps they have more information or can direct you.  Or if you get others to lend a voice to a need, act as a resource for getting a supplier?

Here is one for Toronto
http://www.downtownknitcollective.ca/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
zoby
No Pants, No Problem!

Something witty goes here.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011 11:11:34 AM »

I don't knit/crochet myself so I have no idea what is processed/unprocessed. The only local yarn I know of offhand is http://www.alpacaeugenix.com/. Their contact info and I assume their retail business is in TO, and their alpacas live on a farm in Terra Cotta/ Cheltenham (small towns confuse me DX) which appears to be just outside Brampton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sum1smuma
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011 12:08:16 PM »

So I asked at the amazing yarn shop in Newmarket...Unwind.... on Main street... and the super nice lady that owns it said she sometimes carries roving and that Gemini fibres is a great resource for this. They are located in Mount Albert which is about a half hour north of the 401.
If you are looking for natural yarns outside of the city Unwind has a great selection wool both processed and unprocessed, bamboo,etc..and patterns too. Classes are also offered and the shop is super cozy and they are always helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
dcmackinlay
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011 10:25:32 AM »

I second the Romni Wool recommendation.
http://www.romniwools.com/
Queen West, just west of Bathurst.

There, I found the needle-felting basics, either on their counter or the wall behind it. Wool roving in the basement. The staff I've talked to there was knowledgeable and... FAIRLY patient... with helping out a felting newbie just getting started.

Prices must've gone up, though, since Onyxnox was there. The 10-pack of needles that I bought from them was $16. The roving was also $16 per 1/2 lb. I think the undyed roving was less, but I've apparently lost the tag from its bag.

Anyway, when I need more, I'll go back again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pork and Hominy Stew Part 2/3
How To Make a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
How to Make a Traditional Baked Easter Ham
How to Make Corn Dogs
How to Make Corn Chowder
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...