A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Armour Etched mason jars...or my way of making the family fat. (6 pics)  (Read 2241 times)
Tags for this thread: glass_etching  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

drunkenatheist
« on: December 17, 2010 09:19:36 PM »

As part of my Christmas gifts for my relatives, I decided to put together some hot cocoa mix in mason jars.  But as I'm sure you all know, plain mason jars are a little boring and what kind of Craftstererererer would I be if I threw it plain jars?

I used Slom mason jars from Ikea (they are such a cheap buy; the little guys are $3/ea) and created the stencils from contact paper and masking tape.  Now they are waiting patiently to be filled by me (one of the many, many things on tonight and tomorrow's to-do lists).  

For the text, I printed out "hot cocoa" in Cheri font at around 80 pt, then taped the print out down onto a piece of contact paper and cut through the computer & contact papers with an Xacto knife.  I also added two 1-inch dots on either side (punched with a craft punch) and blocked off a strip on the top, bottom and a two inch or so panel on the back of each jar.  I wanted to etching to look more like a label.  

This photo is to give you an idea of just how thick I spread on my glass etching cream.  (I've read some posters ask for tips on making their pieces come out less streaky.)  

I apologize because the text is a little difficult to read.  They look good though, and once I got them completed, it was totally one crisis averted.  Thanks in advance for looking!

Edit: Also, I just want to note two things about Armour Etch (because, despite my superior Google-Fu, I had major issues finding this info myself):

1- Yes, you can reuse Armour Etch.  For the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th jars, I was able to scrape off as much of it as possible and smear it onto them.  They all etched at the same quality as the first one (pictured).  
2- In case you're reading this and having a glass etching emergency: AC Moore carries Armour Etch in store.  I'm in the Philly area and found it at the Broomall store.  Now, it's a crapshoot as to whether or not the employees will know for certain if they have it.  (To be clear, I'm not slamming the employees at all, I think that it's not a commonly purchased item and it was definitely located in a hard to find place.)  I found it towards the back section of floral, around the glass vases, at the end of the aisle (almost near the end cap), nestled away on the bottom half of the rack.  Even after having it pointed out to me where they would have it, I would have walked right past it had I not caught the logo out of the corner of my eye.  Also, it's pricey as hell.  10 oz. bottles there go for $25!!!  My boyfriend was floored by how much it cost!  (Luckily, I've gotten into the habit of saving craft store coupons, or else there is no way he would have picked it up for me.)  If I wasn't on a super tight deadline, I'd have just ordered it online, but I didn't really have the option this time.  Sad
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010 11:48:53 PM by drunkenatheist » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sum1smuma
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010 09:35:09 PM »

These look great. Nice job. Love that text.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
tattooed_lady
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010 09:46:08 PM »

SUper cute and a great gift idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
drunkenatheist
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010 11:46:58 PM »

Thank you guys so much!  I hope they go over well with the family.  Honestly, my cousins and I aren't as close as we used to be as kids, so I generally go with consumable items for them and my aunt & uncle.  Cause srsly, who doesn't like cookies and hot chocolate?!?!??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010 01:00:37 AM »

Very cute. Love how clean and even your etching came out. Great looking out on craft store coupons- I do it too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drunkenatheist
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010 02:34:30 AM »

v3nu5: Thank you!  Yeah, the coupons are a total life saver.  I'm on the Joann Fabrics mailing list and follow Joann, Michaels & AC Moore on Facebook, which is definitely a huge help with my crafting addiction.  I think my boyfriend is conflicted...on one hand, we're saving money, otoh, it means I'm funneling more cash to the craft stores!  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cinnam0n_spider
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010 02:54:07 AM »

That looks so fantastic! I would have never thought to do that! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drunkenatheist
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010 10:15:57 AM »

Thank you!  They went over well with my fams.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Correct Contrast in Adobe Photoshop Elements
Photoshop CS4 - Software Review Part 2/2
Photoshop CS4 - Software Review Part 1/2
How to Correct Distortions - Photoshop
How to Use the Healing Brush - Digital Light room
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...