A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thrift store chair makeover - *picture heavy*  (Read 4311 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AnnieInLondon
« on: December 17, 2010 05:17:52 PM »

Hiya everyone,

This was my first makeover of a thrift store chair, I am copying this almost word for word from my blog that I just started as I'm not sure you're allowed to post links to blogs here.  It's very picture heavy (can you tell I was excited?) so apologies in advance.  Hope you like it Smiley

xxx annie

___________________ ___________________ _____
December's big project: Chair makeover
OK I won't lie: everything I do, creatively speaking, is usually inspired by, or a direct rip off of, something I read on the internets.  But that's OK, I accept that whilst I'm learning its OK to imitate and be inspired by others, as long as you don't pass it off as your own idea, right? Right?

With that in mind I was reading RSS feeds one day and I saw this post http://lifeofaustinhousewife.blogspot.com/2010/11/as-good-as-new.html by Life of an Austin Housewife blogger B Walker and I swear, hairs went up on the back of my neck.  I had a similar set of chairs I had purchased impulsively (is there any other kind?) on eBay and had yet to do something with them.  She had redone these chairs beautifully, and I was dying to steal her style.

Here's the 'before' shot of one of the chairs, I had two of these.  Ugly, huh? :

Back view:

Ugly button removal (they were sewed to buttons in front as well???):

So off I went to look for the perfect fabric to recover the chairs.  I spent a few weeks casually browsing the likes of Spotlight and Lincraft before finally settling on this gorgeous fabric from Spotlight.  It helped that the it was on sale, too! I wanted a modern, minimalist fabric to compliment the gorgeous curvy lines on the chair.

First job was stripping the chair, and like Mrs Walker I had about a gajillion staples to remove.  For this part I used what I had: a pair of pliers, a pair of cutters and the incredibly useful but primitive workshop tool: a butter knife.

And here's what I had to remove:

Now I should say that 10 minutes after taking the picture above I cut myself with the butter knife several skin layers deep trying to prise out the staples.  The moral of the story is, use proper protection and use the proper tools. Don't go to A&E with a butter knife wound, it's humiliating.  I stemmed the blood and got back to work, lesson learnt.

After removing all the fabric, I was able to strip the chair back to the frame.  Next up I needed to sand off the nasty varnish that was there before: this baby was getting a slick new coat of black gloss paint.  To do this I enlisted the help of my random orbital sander, and for the tight spaces: my trusty Dremel.  Both of these tools are a must for any toolbox as they get the job done so much easier!

If you're doing this yourself, a word of warning:  use protection!  You have no idea what nasty chemicals were used to treat the wood you're sanding and you certainly don't want to breathe that stuff in so use a dust mask.  Better still, use a respirator... mine was somewhere between the two.  Although a sander seems like a safe piece of equipment, wear safety glasses even if you're sanding a flat patch... who knows what could ping off the wood and fly into your face.

OK lecture over.  Time to sand!

After what seemed like forever, sanding was done.  I didn't do a heaps thorough job as I was going to repaint with gloss black which is a darker colour than the old varnish, depending on what colour is being repainted you may need to pay closer attention to this.

Now onto the fun stuff: respray!!  I wanted to mask off some parts of the chair to avoid the spray, so I used some newspaper for this.  I sprayed these with some undercoat (needn't have bothered!) and a couple of coats of gloss black Fiddly Bits spray paint from Bunnings.  A few hours in the hot Australian sun and I was done!

Whilst all that was drying, it was time to devise a sewing pattern for the upholstery.  Let me tell you right now: this part was tough.  It took me 2 days to sand and respray the chair frames, it took me 3 extra days (rushing all the while) to do the upholstery.  If you are doing or thinking of doing a similar project, and have naff all experience doing any kind of sewing, avoid the following: zippers, any kind of pattern matching, and above all: piping.  I now detest piping with every fibre of my being, and being upholstery it was hard to get away from it.  Hell on earth was the best way to describe it.

But I am getting ahead of myself here.  Here's what the backs of my chairs looked like (after the staples were taken out):

I needed to remember this in order to put the chair back together again.  I grabbed my camera, took some shots (highly recommend doing this: saves grief later!) and also my quick unpick, sometimes called a stitch ripper.  I took apart each seam of the upholstery, numbering it and transposing the piece onto my new fabric and cutting out its replacement.

I decided that I wanted to recycle the seat foam as this was in pretty good shape.  I went to Spotlight to try and buy replacement piping cord, the 15 year old behind the counter did not seem to know what on earth I was on about.  Why they let people who don't know a thing about sewing or indeed upholstery work in the furnishings department I'll never know, but there you go. Anyway having no luck there I decided to recycle the piping cord from the old design as well.

Meanwhile, Sammy was taking the role of Quality Control in determining comfort level....

So I followed the patterns on the original fabric pieces and continued to sew what I thought was the right way, eventually I would sort out the hateful piping too...

Until finally I was done and could put it all together....

You may not be able to tell but the fabric is white with red flowers on it.  The red is this beautiful tactile velvet that should stay clean for about 10 minutes in my house... so I made these suckers removable! *curses that the covers have zips*

Shown with some christmas pillows I quickly whipped up.... a week's work and now I can move that ugly sofa from my living room and replace with these two beauties!

Thanks to the http://lifeofaustinhousewife.blogspot.com/ for the inspiration!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 01:09:06 PM by PixieVal - Reason: revealed images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010 06:20:22 PM »

Gorgeous. Stunning. Congratulations on all your hard work. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmichele_craftyfae

the faery of creative chaos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010 07:44:43 PM »

The chair looks great! I might just have to try this to one of our chairs that have seen better days if I can get over my fear of trying to reupholster it myself since I've never done anything like it before. Congrats on a great job well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coraboo
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010 09:39:23 PM »

That is amazing. Those are absolutely beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ex_Gratia

I sew therefore I am

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010 09:59:27 PM »

beautiful, I refurished a chair several years ago and understand how difficult and time consuming it can be, but the results are so satisfying, are they not?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy please! I'd love to have feedback from other crafters!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFlippantFlapper?ref=ss_profile
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010 11:20:43 PM »

This is soooo well done.  I really like the fabric you chose.!!!  Happy Holidays!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
CraftyDiem
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010 06:48:42 AM »

Wow!  That is amazing and beautiful and much more work than I will ever do!!  I don't have the eye for those diamonds in the rough, or the skills to fix them up - so I can only look with wistiness at your work! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
AnnieInLondon
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010 12:30:39 AM »

Thanks so much, you guys are lovely Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blue Rose
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010 02:13:48 AM »

absolutely amazing O_O the end result is at least a million times better than before!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cathead
Wielder of the Pointy Stick

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010 05:43:38 PM »

I dig this so much! And making it a zippered cover is genius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have duct tape and a staple gun. I can fix anything.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
CMA Awards Best and Worst Dressed
Elevator Makeover - Creating the Perfect Job Interview Look
Elevator Makeover - Dressing for a High School Reunion
Elevator Makeover - Dressing for a Job Search
Outfit of the Day: How a Professional Stylist Styles Herself
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...