A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: compatible chemicals  (Read 485 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rebecnik
« on: December 17, 2010 10:14:34 AM »

I decided I want to make a sort of snow globe with a polymer clay figurine inside. But I know that certain chemicals can destroy the clay, so I decided to ask about it. It was suggested to glue the figurines inside using aquarium sealant (it's just silicone), so what's the compatibility of that one? For the liquid, I read that you can use plain water, baby oil, or mineral oil (the oil makes the snow fall more slowly). So what of those?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010 09:01:46 AM »

Have you checked out the info on making snowglobes at my site yet?  If not, here's a link:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/outdoor_snowglobes_fountains.htm
It has a lot of info about those factors and discussions about what clayers have tried, etc.

As for chemicals "destroying" the clay, that mostly applies to anything in direct contact with the clay that has a petroleum-based solvent (those that must be thinned or cleaned up with paint thinner/etc).  Those substances may begin dissolving the clay immediately or eventually.

The main problem with polymer clay in continuous (soaking) contact with water, over a long period of time, though is a whitish coating that can appear as much as 6 months later.  It will mostly show up well on the darker clays colors.  That's caused by the clay absorbing just a tiny bit of water over time (and would disappear if the item could be dried out).  Most of the clear finishes that can be put onto polymer clay are just the tiniest bit absorbent over time too.
Some of the most promising solutions might be using 5-6 layers of polyurethane (not Future in this case, btw), using liquid polymer clay as a coating, and using distilled water in the globe, but there are others that may work too.
(The inside of the globe can also display rot, algae, or rust if the materials inside aren't right.)

HTH and show us your results!
Diane B.

(Btw, silicone should be okay, I think...it's often used to adhere and seal the cap to the jar when making snow globes from baby food jars.  But not sure about direct contact with the clay though since I seem to remember that some silicone caulks won't clean up with water and soap.  Some of the acrylic caulks seem to be fortified with silicone though, so look for both the words silicone and acrylic if you see them on the tubes?)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010 09:11:09 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
rebecnik
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010 01:12:51 PM »

Wow, you really DO have everything on that site! I am amazed! I decided, after quite a bit of reading, that I'm going to try the aquarium sealant still and use glycerin, alcohol, and distilled water for the fluid. I will absolutely post pictures when I get one made! It may be some time though...I have a lot of supplies to collect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What You Need to Change About Your Hair Routine This Winter
How to Do a Plaited Updo
Sleek Ponytail Hair Tutorial
How To Get "Sombre" and Balayage Hair
The Best Hair Treatments You Can Buy or DIY
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...