A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 309,613
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Non-crafty friends copying your work and pretending it's original (rant)  (Read 646 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kunoni
can't stay inside the lines..

fly away...

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2010 04:09:16 PM »

I need to vent, and it's 100% craft related so..
(correct me if it's in the wrong board.)

I have a sort-of friend. She considers herself to be my best friend, though prefers everyone over me, and I consider her as an acquaintance.
She was never crafty before she met me. She isn't really now, but you get the point. I used to bring a lot of my crafts to school, as a lot of them were functional, or to give away as presents. Then she started copying me. She takes everything that I made, changes it a bit and flaunts it out to everyone so that they compliment her. I don't flaunt or brag about my work, because I do it since I enjoy it. Here are some examples of her stealing:

-At some point I had a lot of friends whose birthdays were around the same time, so to add an extra special touch, I would make them charm bracelets. I would make the chains myself with wire.
3 days after I gave out the first one( One that had silver buttons as charms) She brought to school a bracelet she made herself. It was horribly made, with dollar store puke green buttons and the rings were not rings, It looked as if she sculpted them by hand, without some sort of round form, and then chewed it. When I asked her about it, she said her brother stepped on it, but bracelets she made later proved otherwise. Then she stuck it under everyone's nose and flaunted the fact that it was handmade.

-I had a few keychains/bracelets made with all sorts of knotting techniques and bead animals, that she saw when she visited once(for homework), and a few weeks later her versions were popping up everywhere, and she even dared give me one and flaunt the fact that it's homemade!!!!!

-Most recent, is that I'd made a felt mascot one night and stuck it in my pocket when I was done. The next day I wore the same jacket to school and found it in my pocket, not knowing what it was, when I did, she saw, and wanting to look more closely at it, she grabbed it out of my hand. A month later (a.k.a today) she gave us Christmas/late Hanukkah gifts, which were felt mascots. The were all the characters I had come up with, who's doodles and some finished projects she saw at my house. She gave one to all our "friends" and since they don't know about most of my craftiness, they didn't realize how poorly made and unoriginal it is, let alone the fact that she downright copied. She actually gave me a mascot of her (yucky) rendition of the mascot I found in my pocket that day. Her stitching is awful, the thread was dirty, and most of the details were glued on, so the thing was as stuff as cardboard.
GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

and these are not all the things she's done!!!

*rant over* I feel better, but not the best..
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010 07:04:46 PM by kunoni » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~shine shine shine~
AGFH
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010 06:44:12 PM »

I'm sorry, but she would cease to even be an acquaintance of mine after all of that. I wouldn't give her the opportunity to see anything of mine again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010 06:36:57 AM »

It sounds like she is maybe a bit jealous of your talent. She clearly thinks what you do is awesome. I guess in this situation you can cease being friends with them OR you could take her under your crafting wings, if you will, and help her learn how to make things properly. Maybe once she has the tools to be creative, she will be able to come up with/execute her own ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kunoni
can't stay inside the lines..

fly away...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010 04:34:39 PM »

Sadly enough, she is a part of the group I hang out with. I have tried shutting her out completely, but it is hard. I am much colder to her now, but in order to remain on the good side of things, I can't cease being "friends" with her.

As for helping her, every time I try, she acts like a huge snob (this coming from me, and I do try to see the very best in people).

Thanks for the input guys! even just venting makes me feel better. I'm just going to continue doing what I love and if by "chance" some of them see my crafts and realize what she's done, i won't deny it *evil laugh*
Especially since  they've seen almost all of my crafts, including softie making, just not mascots. They know what I've made. Luckily we're in different classes this year, and next year in different schools, so if I slip and bring something to school, she won't see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~shine shine shine~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cast Off in Knitting
How to Cast on
How to Knit a Simple Baby Hat
How to Condition Flowers for Flower Arrangements
How to Knit Fingerless Gloves
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...