A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,020
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Leather Journal Cover Tutorial  (Read 1940 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

girlytattoos
The Crafty Tattooist.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2010 11:07:37 PM »

Supplies-
Scraps of leather
Good Shears
Awl
waxed leather cord
Leather needle or heavy needle
All purpose thread
Matching fabric
Victim journal or book. ( I recommend hard back books)

Okay so I make tons of stuff and I love to share and show people how to make it. I am intensely visual so sorry for the image heavy stuff. Other wise have fun! (I am not exaggerating by any source of the imagination)
I saw this idea on cutoutandkeep.com and took my own spoof off of it and made journal covers. Here are pictures, and instructions. ( Mind you I havent written one of these in a while so it may be spotty, lemme know if you see some improvements to be made!)

A- What I am doing here is measuring the outter covers of the journal I intend on covering. I measure outside of the area to half an inch around the actual size of the journal cover.

B- By this point I have cut out 2 pieces of fabric and I am now rolling the edge to make a hem that is 1/2".

C- They are now pinned down and ready to be sewn.

D- Here I am measuring how far the fabrick should be seperated to allow for space on the spine of the journal. Here I used 1".

E- Giant bag of leather scraps that I picked up from my local Joanns.

F- Shot of half inch rolled hem

G- The inch spine gap.

H- This is a shot of the light marking on the leather. I took the scrap of leather and paid it out flat. Aligning the two inner covers of journal together, one inch apart- I traced around the outter edge to get a full piece of leather marked out.

I- Said piece of cut leather.

J- Here I am taking another piece of darker leather and laying it directly over top of what I have cut out already. I like the stitched look so you can skip this if you like, if not continue.

K-  While measuring it out I flip the leather over with the wrong side up and trace around the rectangle I have already cut.

L- Now the second piece of leather is cut and I have set it on top of the 1st piece I have cut.

-In between step here-
I have traced around the raw edge of the leather that is laid ontop of the first piece cutting away what is underneathe the upper piece i just cut. So that they can be stitched together.

M and N- Now I am beginning to use my awl to make holes so I can sew easier. (Trust me buy an awl it will make your life cake walk compared to using a traditional leather needle.)

O- Preparing the cord to be used, threading the needle and cutting off a working bit of it. ( Ladies do NOT use your good shears on leather cord it destroys them, instead use some kitchen scissors or a knife)

P- And this is why using an awl can be great and bad at the same time. It will put holes through leather in a hurry, but get your table too. So use cardboard under your space when using an awl. You will not be happy how your table looks after lol.

Q- Cord Shot!

R- the 1st of the two journal's stitching.
S- Underside of the first one.
T- Baseball stitching ( atleast I think thats what it is... lol)
U- Simple double knot to start and end. (Using waxed cord is best)
V- Supply check! We are now done with the hand stuff!!!!

*one outer leather cover
*two inner unsewn coordinating fabric blocks, that are 1/2" too big on 3 sides.
*Shears
*Awl
*Snaps (optional)

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a27/girlytattoos/?action-view&current=PAGE6.jpg
A- Running a straight seam stitch along the pinned down fabric
B and D- Then some decroative stitching! This was around the time I did the signature stitch as well.
C- Now when you sew up on leather. Do not tick pins in it. Other wise your piece will have holes in it, that will not come out. Just hold it firmly under the machine foot and move slow. I am a firm believer that most sewing machines will sew leather if you move slow and steady and have the right gauge needle.

E- I have asembled the majority of the cover. Both sides are sew together and its ready to be turned. I recommend cutting off the excess corners.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a27/girlytattoos/?action-view&current=PAGE7.jpg
F- You should also be trimming up any excess bits of leather you can. Good leather will stretch as you work with it. So do not be suprised that it doesnt entirely retain the shape you cut earlier. If it twists and shifts that means you are moving it right Wink

G- Doing a test fit before pressing.

H- Closer detail shot

I- Press everything flat, and also make sure you dont leave the iron on too long. Working the fabric on top should be your main focus.

(Optional steps)
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a27/girlytattoos/?action-view&current=PAGE8.jpg
J- Here I am just placing the strap where I think I want it to go.
K- Where I have tied my knot
L- Hooking the needle through and winding up at M, the 'X' stitch.

And Poof! You have a leather covered journal-

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a27/girlytattoos/?action-view&current=PAGE9.jpg
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010 01:30:51 AM by MareMare - Reason: to reveal images for new user » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Padester
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010 06:43:50 AM »

Nicely done!  Thanks for sharing your technique - always fun to get new ideas for what to make! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Country Fried Potatoes with Onions Recipe
Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
Breakfast Pizza with Hash Brown Crust Recipe
Cincinnati Chili Recipes
Bob Evans Sausage and Potato Skillet Breakfast Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...