A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,317
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Great gifts for oral fixation folks! Toothpicks with taste.  (Read 12881 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , toothpick  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sum1smuma
« on: December 15, 2010 07:45:07 PM »

These are super easy and have been a hit so far.

All you need is some wooden toothpicks and a small bottle or jar and flavor oil.
I used natural flavor oils that I bought at the local bulk food store. I tried Anise, Lemon, spearmint, cinnamon (which may not be natural?) and peppermint all were yummy.

So in a glass jar..spice jars work well...pour approximately 1/8 -1/4 inch of oil. Stand toothpicks in jar so only one end is in the oil. Be sure they do not lay in the oil.

Allow the oil to be soaked up by the picks. Depending on how strong of a taste you want allow the oil to be absorbed 2 hours to overnight (8hrs). **Note that mint or cinnamon can become too strong and feel like they are burning your lips off. But hey, some like it like that. The anise and lemon need longer in my opinion.

Remove from jars and lay on non absorbent surface ie cookie tray. Allow to air dry in a warm dry spot for a few days. When dry place in clean jars. The spice jars are perfect with the holey tops for easy dispensing! Wink
**If impatient like me..place toothpicks in 250f oven for approx. 5 mins. Watch so they do not burn!

I call mine Toothpicks with taste. I think they are great for quiting smoking or that annoying nail biting habit or for anyone who is hard to gift.

Let me know if you try it. Grin
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012 02:37:40 PM by jungrrl - Reason: inserted full size pictures instead of thumbnails. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
polkadotts

Life is good when your HEART's in the right place

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010 07:50:46 PM »

What a wonderful idea. I am definitely going to try this got the perfect person in mind to give as a christmas present. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful "Tasty Toothpick" idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What's better than Pink, Butterflies, Glitter, Mermaids, Fairies & Angels......NOTHING!!!
Time to load up the Unicorn and head to the rainbow!!!
cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010 07:51:40 PM »

Such a good idea. I'm trying to convince my dad to quit smoking--maybe this will help (as opposed to my nagging).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kunoni
can't stay inside the lines..

fly away...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010 08:13:06 PM »

So smart! and if you buy the scents/flavors in bulk it's really cheap too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~shine shine shine~
sum1smuma
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010 08:17:23 PM »

What a wonderful idea. I am definitely going to try this got the perfect person in mind to give as a christmas present. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful "Tasty Toothpick" idea.

Glad to share. It really is an affordable gift too. I think a cool tin could work too.

Such a good idea. I'm trying to convince my dad to quit smoking--maybe this will help (as opposed to my nagging).
Cool. Quitting is hard. You could put a totally personalized label for added encouragement. Smiley

So smart! and if you buy the scents/flavors in bulk it's really cheap too!

The little bottles shown each did a pack of picks and they were just over 2 bucks. I will definitely be on the look out for a better price for the oil.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kunoni
can't stay inside the lines..

fly away...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010 08:43:14 PM »

Best to buy online in bulk, even with shipping it'll add up!
p.s.- love the first photo, so pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~shine shine shine~
sum1smuma
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010 08:52:46 PM »

Best to buy online in bulk, even with shipping it'll add up!
p.s.- love the first photo, so pretty.

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

polkadotts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010 08:18:35 PM »

Will be stopping to pick up supplies tomorrow, will definitely let you know how they turned out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What's better than Pink, Butterflies, Glitter, Mermaids, Fairies & Angels......NOTHING!!!
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010 08:31:55 AM »

What a great idea! I featured this project on Craftster's Facebook page today. Thanks for sharing!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Correlating

YOU are a cheeseball! :D

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010 08:45:08 AM »

OOOOH! I've been searching for the right gift for my dad!!! This is it! Thank you for such a great idea! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...puttin' things together...
steph_patt
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010 09:35:50 AM »

What a great idea! This would be a great gift for my brother to get him to stop smoking. Thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melyssa_marie
so tacky its classy

tattooeddahlia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010 11:14:15 AM »

You could dress up an altoids tin for easy traveling! Would be PERFECT for someone trying to quit smoking to carry with them. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sum1smuma
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010 02:49:50 PM »

You could dress up an altoids tin for easy traveling!
Oh ya. And if you are stuck, at Cracker Barrel restaurants (sadly not in Canada Sad ) They have cool tiny wooden carriers just big enough for a few.

What a great idea! I featured this project on Craftster's Facebook page today.
Wow. Cool. *blush*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knotmad
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010 12:36:48 PM »

My dad is all over toothpicks! I must make these for him! Thanks for sharing the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sum1smuma
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010 06:16:09 AM »

I don't know if anyone made these for presents or not but everyone I made them for loved them. It was kind of strange that the reception was so good. My father in-law opened and shared his with everyone and my dad said little and stuck one in his mouth immediately. His wife then joined in and said they were going in the car glove box so when they go out for dinner they will be there since they always are looking for some. (Retirees eat out a lot.)

So when Father's day comes around make Dad some...he will actually use this gift! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

polkadotts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010 07:53:40 AM »

I made them for my nephew, but he didn't show up for the holiday gift exchange so my youngest son and I have REALLY been enjoying them. After every meal we must have a toothpick. I caught him yesterday with one in his mouth while playing his PS3 game. He says..."Mom this is like a lollipop without ruining my teeth." LOL!!!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sum1smuma
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010 12:37:24 PM »

He says..."Mom this is like a lollipop without ruining my teeth." LOL!!!

Too funny! I think that is why old men like them too. Grown up lollipops! So glad you are enjoying them. What flavor did you make?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

polkadotts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010 02:25:25 PM »

He says..."Mom this is like a lollipop without ruining my teeth." LOL!!!

Too funny! I think that is why old men like them too. Grown up lollipops! So glad you are enjoying them. What flavor did you make?

Lemon, tried adding some raspberry to it but it wasn't raspberry oil so it didn't take well. but there is a hint of it there. gonna try orange next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sum1smuma
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010 06:03:11 AM »

I did the lemon too since my son loves anything sour. The best, imo,although not usually a taste I enjoy was the anise. I hate licorice but in toothpick form it is yummy. I did see orange..hmmm. I think these will be made regularly. Did you love that intense smell in the house?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

polkadotts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010 08:02:35 AM »

I did the lemon too since my son loves anything sour. The best, imo,although not usually a taste I enjoy was the anise. I hate licorice but in toothpick form it is yummy. I did see orange..hmmm. I think these will be made regularly. Did you love that intense smell in the house?

The smell of lemon in the house was awesome, but on my hands was even better. LOL!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SailorMaat
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011 11:43:00 AM »

What an awesome idea. I gotta try these out. My husband will love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lulusews
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011 05:29:41 PM »

I haven't seen flavored toothpicks in forever.  We use to buy them in hot cinnamon.

Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dopey_44
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011 10:36:47 PM »

this is really cool i need to try it once i find the flavored oils thanks for the tut
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/dopey44/

http://www.wists.com/dopey_44

love to spoil when i swap Smiley
i also LOVE popcorn mmmm Popcorn
sum1smuma
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011 06:55:42 AM »

this is really cool i need to try it once i find the flavored oils thanks for the tut

I live in Canada and found them at Bulk Barn but I think most baking supply stores or health food stores should sell the oils. Make sure to use oils and not flavoring extracts. Try it...you will love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

barbanel
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011 10:16:38 PM »

great idea! thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shelleibean
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011 10:52:26 AM »

This is great idea and something I've never considered. I bought my husband one of those metal toothpick holders that he can stick in the pen slot of his uniform (he always has a toothpick and he will put a bunch of loose ones in his pocket, which seems really gross and linty). I looked at a bunch of flavored toothpicks to add to the gift but they were pretty pricey and didn't come in any flavors I thought he would like.
Then I saw this and found this site, https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-strength-flavors-candy-oils.aspx
so mango flavored toothpicks are soon to come to my house!
Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dopey_44
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011 09:07:51 PM »

i finally made my toothpicks the only thing was i used flat ones instead of the round ones and i used i think to much Cinnamon oil i didn't know how much 1/4 or 1/8 was so i used 2 bottles they came out great but real strong. they also reminded me of the ones they used to sell when i was a kid lol any how they came out  great lets see what they say at work they are my worst criddictds
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/dopey44/

http://www.wists.com/dopey_44

love to spoil when i swap Smiley
i also LOVE popcorn mmmm Popcorn
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011 09:38:01 AM »

My hubby loves toothpicks so I bought him some minty toothpicks last Christmas for a stocking stuffer.  I wish I had this before!  I am so making him and his brother these for their upcoming birthday!  Such an awesome gift idea!  Thanks so much for sharing!  I am super excited to make these this weekend!  I think I'm going to try to find some fun decorative looking toothpicks to do this with.  I will probably put them in those smaller plastic bead tubes (I have so many of them that are just bagged up waiting for a new purpose).  Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011 07:27:54 AM »

Here is what I ended up doing.  They sell these jars in different color lids at World Market for $.99 each.  I've made so many jars of these toothpicks now!  I made a set of cinnamon, orange cream, and lemon for my husband and his twin brother for their birthday.  I made a set of peppermint, butterscotch, and tangerine for my dad and my father-in-law for their birthdays.  Last night I made a batch of cinnamon ones for my mom.  I used half of the little bottles of cinnamon, and full bottles of the other flavors in the jars.

The flavor oils were hard to find locally, but I luckily found some.  I asked someone as rosauers (local grocery store) and she told me that this is going to sound weird but to ask at the pharmacy.  They can order them and they are in the next day.  There are so many flavors to choose for.  They are $.99 each for those really tiny bottles of flavor oil.  I guess they had to move them back to the pharmacy because kids were buying the cinnamon one and burning their mouths and daring each other to do the same.  Teachers and parents called and told them to sell it behind the counter.  Strange, huh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
ladywyn
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011 09:25:30 PM »

Does anyone know if the flavour or scent wans as the toothpicks sit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Swan
How to Fold an Origami Heart
How to Fold an Origami Ninja Star
How to Fold Money into an Origami Shirt
How to Make an Origami Fish
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...