A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,370
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gnome House  (Read 1475 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OrangeKnickers
« on: December 15, 2010 01:57:16 PM »

This is the Gnome house that I made for the Tiny Fairytale House Swap.  It's only the second project I've ever done in polymer clay, and I think I bit off more that I could chew.

I struggle a lot with the roof especially and it I'm still not pleased with it.  I keep having bubbling issues and I'm not sure how to prevent that.  I swear as I'm making it that all of the air is pressed out, but I keep getting bubbles.

Oddly, I had the easiest time with the details; the mushrooms, ivy, and whatnot.  I love parts of this house and have to overlook others.  The important thing is that my swap partner loved it and it's the best that I could do within the parameters.  Anyway, here it is.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist list

Will do private swaps for keys, cogs, and steampunk goodness.
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010 02:45:06 PM »

It's so sweet and obviously crafted with care and an eye for detail.  Love the ladder on the back and all the teensy blades of grass, and actually I think the not-so-perfect roof is perfect for a gnome house!  Just keep practicing and reading how-tos and you'll figure out how best to limit the bubble issue.  And with any luck, craftster Diane B. of glassattic.com will be along soon to post some helpful hints and point you to the parts of her website that can provide a lot of specific information.  (http://glassattic.com/ is a veritable online encyclopedia jam-packed full of ideas and information about working with polymer clay.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aisy
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010 03:21:20 PM »

cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luckypennymake
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010 05:45:03 PM »

it is so cute!  and the roof looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing and Crafting Momma to two very sweet kiddos born at home on February 19, 2007 and September 27, 2009.
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010 10:30:58 AM »

Totally adorable!... love little scenes and structures like that. (And you did a great job, especially being new!)

Bubbles are one of the few learning curve things for polymer clay unfortunately, but there are ways to help prevent them. 
It's not only air that causes bubbles btw, but also moisture (one reason it's not good to mix acrylic paints or other water-based colorants into raw clay btw); it can even be moisture from your hands.  Sometimes certain colors or brands will just have more bubbles at some manufacture times too, but not generally.  Then of course, there are the mixing/shaping ways that air can get into the clay from using the pasta machine or hand mixing, mixing colors, rolling up, etc, etc.

You can check out this page at my site though for loads of info about what causes bubbles and how to prevent or deal with them, under the Problems > Bubbles subcategory:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/pastamachines.htm

HTH,
Diane B.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010 08:48:35 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
OrangeKnickers
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010 01:14:24 PM »

Thanks for all of the comments.  I'm really liking polymer clay and can't wait until my skill level improves.  I see such wonderful work on this board.  I'll just have to keep working with it and researching techniques.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist list

Will do private swaps for keys, cogs, and steampunk goodness.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Splurge or Steal?
The Best Way to Apply Face Highlighter
How to Create a Winged Cat Eye
Jennifer Lopez Red Carpet Makeup Tutorial
5 Tips to Help Your Skin Recover from Winter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...