A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 12/14/10 - New Craft Supplies Shop on Craftster Announcement  (Read 16750 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010 03:50:23 PM »

There goes my holiday bonus - thanks, Craftster.

Grin!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010 05:40:07 PM »

Oh my goodness... I just realized something pretty awesome about this...

"Dear swap partner, I'm going to be making you a scarf/hat/mittens, can you please go to the craftster shop and give me some yarn options that you think you would like!!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lil_abi
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010 05:52:25 PM »

Does anyone else think it's weird that a place allegedly here for us to share our craftiness in an environment free of commerce is now hawking wares itself?  I'm fine with Craftster-branded swag as a way to show our support for the site, but I'm more than a little weirded out by the "shop" button. 

What's more, the vast majority of crafting supplies are found at joann.com.  When you click on an item, it just takes you directly there.  Craftster isn't technically selling the supplies, or even bringing us the best crafting suppiles the Interwebs have to offer. 

Comments?  Questions?  Validation of my skepticism?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010 06:05:12 PM »

il_abi, I merged your thread with the News announcement, so we could keep all of the discussion in one place. Smiley

We totally appreciate your feedback on the shop!  We need to hear the bad, the good and the awesome!

We aren't trying to endorse the products or hawk wares on anyone.  We are merely trying to provide a search tool to buy supplies for crafting.  We wanted to create something that had search features that we personally would love in a crafty search engine (such as price filters, store filters, free shipping searches, etc).

Yes, the vast majority of supplies are currently found at Joann.com.  This is because we launched with a very, very small group of affiliates to make sure the store was functional and fabulous first.  Over the next few weeks and months, we'll be adding many more affiliate stores to the mix.  Once we get everyone loaded into the shop, it should serve as a pretty great tool for seeing the best deals from a large mix of stores from the Interwebs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010 06:20:21 PM »

Yes, the vast majority of supplies are currently found at Joann.com.  This is because we launched with a very, very small group of affiliates to make sure the store was functional and fabulous first.  Over the next few weeks and months, we'll be adding many more affiliate stores to the mix.  Once we get everyone loaded into the shop, it should serve as a pretty great tool for seeing the best deals from a large mix of stores from the Interwebs.
That makes a lot of sense! Thanks for explaining that. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010 06:21:06 PM »

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks for explaining that. Smiley

You're welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010 09:14:53 PM »

Does anyone else think it's weird that a place allegedly here for us to share our craftiness in an environment free of commerce is now hawking wares itself?  I'm fine with Craftster-branded swag as a way to show our support for the site, but I'm more than a little weirded out by the "shop" button. 

What's more, the vast majority of crafting supplies are found at joann.com.  When you click on an item, it just takes you directly there.  Craftster isn't technically selling the supplies, or even bringing us the best crafting suppiles the Interwebs have to offer. 

I totally agree.  It goes against what I thought craftster believed in, the whole no selling or they would bust out the limbo sticks on you.   Wink  I scanned the items for sale and there was paper, etc., but then things like wall sconces.   Huh  I could get behind it if it was promoting small businesses, but Joann's has more than enough business.  I love craftster and will continue to come here for ideas and swapping, but will keep my shopping local as much as possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010 09:22:52 PM »

I agree on keeping shopping local! I love supporting my LYS(little/local yarn shops/stores) but unfortunately, a because I live in a very rural place, most of my craft shopping does happen online.
I don't mean to belittle any feelings of this addition, but it does kind of excite me personally because of the lack of hobby supply shops in my area, and because after the application adds more shops it will mean less surfing on the internet on my part!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010 09:33:30 PM »

I totally agree.  It goes against what I thought craftster believed in, the whole no selling or they would bust out the limbo sticks on you.   Wink  I scanned the items for sale and there was paper, etc., but then things like wall sconces.   Huh  I could get behind it if it was promoting small businesses, but Joann's has more than enough business.  I love craftster and will continue to come here for ideas and swapping, but will keep my shopping local as much as possible.

Aw, yes!  We support local shopping as well.  We will always run our small business ads and of course encourage others to visit & support them, too.

The Craft Supplies Shop is in its own designated area, and it's not intrusive to forum posts (which is where we bust a Limbo! Grin).  We often run ads for Michael's, Jo-Ann Fabrics and such, so it's not a new concept for us to also support larger online supply companies as well.

Thanks for your feedback!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010 09:33:57 PM »

I agree on keeping shopping local! I love supporting my LYS(little/local yarn shops/stores) but unfortunately, a because I live in a very rural place, most of my craft shopping does happen online.
I don't mean to belittle any feelings of this addition, but it does kind of excite me personally because of the lack of hobby supply shops in my area, and because after the application adds more shops it will mean less surfing on the internet on my part!

Thanks for your feedback, Pixie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Try Hair Gloss For Shiny Locks
How to Create a Twisted Bun Hairstyle
Erykah Badu Leads Celebration of Natural Hair
How to Wear a 90s Scrunchie
How to Style a Braided Back to School Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...