A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie Needs Support  (Read 700 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JTravis10
« on: December 10, 2010 05:36:35 PM »

Hi All:

I am coming to you all for support.  Recently I bought a spinning wheel.  I finished my first yarn ever, and it is the saddest little 2-ply you will ever see.  It feels discouraging, and I wonder if it gets better.  How long does it take to start to feel even a little confident?  I would love some first yarn stories, or people's experience with the spinning learning curve.  My first instinct is to give up. 

Jack
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010 10:39:11 PM »

It will get better.  I know with spindles they say about 100 hrs put in before the yarn starts looking decent.  It's all about the practice, put your little bitty 2-ply in a bowl and keep it like a pet, keep spinning, reviewing videos and reading spinning books, you'll start getting better in no time.
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010 04:35:24 PM »

It really does get better!  A woman who owned a nearby fiber studio explained it best to me.  She said you'll struggle and be frustrated, and then all of a sudden you'll have an "aha!" moment where it all comes together and feels natural, and you'll feel better about the results.  She was right.

I spun for about 2 months on a drop spindle, then got a wheel, and have been spinning on that for about 7 months.  I don't get much time to spin, so I really only sit down to spin about once every couple of weeks, then I'll spin several ounces at a time.  I still really feel like a beginning spinner, especially so since my spinning sessions are infrequent.  One good suggestion that I used when trying to learn to use the spindle, was to spin for a little while every day, even if it's just a few minutes.  I just wish I'd take my own advice and do that with my wheel!  I feel like there's a learning curve with every different fiber I try, so I'll feel frustrated at first, then get used to the staple length, etc, and be happier with it.

Another thing that's helped me is to adjust my expectations.  If I plan ahead of time to spin a fiber a certain way, like fine, or bulky, or thick and thin, I get really frustrated if the fiber doesn't "behave."  I feel much better when I respond to the fiber, rather than making it respond to me.  I let the fiber tell me how it wants to be spun, and I'm the one who has to "behave."  I'm sure someday when I'm more proficient, I might be able to make the fiber do what I want it to, but for now, I just go with the flow.  I actually enjoy that because I tend to be a controlling person in other areas of my life, and it's nice to let go and just let the yarn be as it is.

One last thing that helped me along when I was first spinning was to get some really fun multicolored roving.  At least that way, even if I was frustrated with the texture of my yarn, or the amount of spin, I could at least enjoy watching the colors develop in unexpected ways. That, to me, was a lot more fun than spinning roving that was just one color.

Hang in there!  Definitely keep your first yarn -- I really treasure my first teeny tiny little skein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Catielove
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010 09:01:32 PM »

I think what helped me was just jumping in with both feet. Stop worrying about whether your fiber is evenly drafted. Don't worry about messing up your "good" fiber. Just sit down and spin. And then keep spinning until it all clicks. You really will come to that moment where your hands just know what they're doing and your feet are working at the same pace as your hands and the fiber is flowing, and holy crap.... that's a usable skein of yarn you just made!

And keep everything you spin that you think might not look that great. It's called art yarn. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swap Friendly!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Happens if You Decrease the Sugar Called for in Baked Goods?
What is Almond Bark?
Easter Brownie Nests
How to Bake Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
7 Easy-to-Make Yogurt Snacks That Taste Like Dessert
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...