A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,770
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 4 dresses - seersucker, silk, scalloped, shirtdress and screenprinting!  (Read 2689 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: December 14, 2010 05:47:15 PM »

These holidays I'm trying to chew my way through my fabric stash. I have an addiction to buying remnants which means that I have to squeeze garments out of a metre or so of fabric. I was also given silk chiffon by my neighbour, who was a felter and incorporated silk into some of her wraps.
Apologies for slightly poor photos, (hopefully I'll be able to get some better ones) but here we go!

3 bits of chartreuse silk, and a few skerricks of blue checkered silk, with metal buttons. The skirt goes to about mid calf

6 different pieces of purple silk chiffon, in 4 different shades. The skirt has 3 layers. Pintucks and metal buttons.

3 remnants of blue striped seersucker - two light blue and one dark blue striped. This dress and the one above have bias binding around the armholes. This one has pearl buttons my neighbour gave me, and a built in tie that I'm not sure if I like. Also this one has pockets, unlike the other 3.

Finally a shirtdress squeezed out of two printed drill remnants, one 1 metre squared and one 1X0.5 metre piece. I screenprinted a design of moustachioed objects, fruit and vegetables which I'd drawn myself. I would have liked to include pockets and longer sleeves and a fuller skirt but I would have needed at least another 50 cm or metre.

The back

Added bonus: I also made a fancy waistcoat last year out of cotton satin printed with those moustache guys too!

If you'd like to see the moustaches in greater detail, they're here. http://www.louisagiffard.com/blogitem.pl?id=70

Hope you like it!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010 05:55:59 PM »

Those are all awesome!   Shocked It's amazing how you used such small amounts of fabric!
I love the second one, and the scallop hem on the seersucker one is SO CUTE.
Great job!  Cheesy

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010 05:57:00 PM »

Wonderful dresses!  They are all great.  I especially like the first one and the striped one.  But... I absolutely love your screen printing on the brown dress.  Hilarious.  Thanks for sharing!

always procraftinating..............

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010 06:09:02 PM »

the print on that last one is so dang cool!

please visit my etsy shop. i love it when people buy my crap!  
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010 06:56:45 PM »

I love them all!  I have to say the first one might be my favorite though, that green is just awesome!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010 09:06:53 PM »

Everything looks fantastic!  Maybe try not buttoning that top button on the brown moustache print dress.  Hitting this ROCKS!

If you can't do it with duck tape...it can't be done!

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010 01:53:31 PM »

Aahh, I really love the third dress, the ruffles on the neckline are really cute!
Miss Smith
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010 05:06:48 PM »

I absolutely love them. Especially the second one. Makes me want to get on my sewing machine right now.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
At Home with our Chinese Chef Lena Fung
What Is Ghee
Fresh Thai Spring Rolls Recipe
Thai Foodcast: Pork Ball Soup
What Is Young Ginger
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...