A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,885
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help with Amy Butler Sweet Harmony Tote  (Read 1180 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ntaga
« on: December 13, 2010 04:03:57 AM »

I've made this bag before - you'd think I would have learned. I'm making this one as a gift for a teacher at school who is having her first baby.  The problem is the way the bag hangs when it's closed and hanging on your shoulder.  I put three magnetic clasps - one on each end and two in the middle, but that's not particularly convenient for a mom who's trying to open the bag while carrying a child.  The bag calls for fusible fleece sealed by a layer of fusible interfacing, which I used.  I probably should have used Peltex on the exterior panels, but that may give it too much structure.  Next time, I will install a zipper instead of using magnetic closures.  In the meantime, what can I do?  Has anyone ever used boning?  I noticed U-handbag sells it for use in purses.  Is it possible to install boning after the fact? I haven't yet closed the lining, so could still reach the wrong side of the exterior top edge of the purse.  I welcome any suggestions.  Thanks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ntaga
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010 01:27:51 PM »

I reread this and realized I wasn't clear about the problem.  When hanging on a shoulder, the top of the bag gapes open between the magnetic snaps.  Not a lot, but enough to look a little sloppy, in my opinion.  So I'm trying to make the top not quite so floppy so it stays completely closed when snapped together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BattleAxe
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011 01:38:24 AM »

At this point, you could go with velcro.  Or create an overhanging narrow flap with a button.  You would only have to undo a bit of the top seam to insert the start of the flap.  or you could sew right on the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ntaga
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011 03:56:07 PM »

Thanks, Battleaxe, for the suggestions.  I had to give the bag to my colleague before I received your suggestion - she was very satisfied and didn't seem to notice the imperfections that I did.  At any rate, I may try a tab on my next try.  I did make another using quilters cottons and three layers of interfacing - fleece fused to a heavy sew-in interfacing with fusible web and both sealed in a layer of medium weight fusible.  This worked quite well, with no floppiness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Soft Light Layer Mode
Creating an Orange Sky in Lightroom
High Pass Sharpening in in Photoshop
How to Create a Web Photo Gallery
Creating a Dark Blue Sky in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...