A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn shops in Waco  (Read 1784 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Catered Crop
« on: December 12, 2010 10:14:37 PM »

Hey all . . . I just moved to Waco this summer. I haven't crocheted or knitted in some 20 years, but my daughter wants to pick it up now. I can't seem to find any yarn shops nearby. I thought a yarn shop might be more able/willing to give us some beginner's tips. Are Hobby Lobby and Michaels our only options?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

torilyn73
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010 03:27:14 PM »

Hey all . . . I just moved to Waco this summer. I haven't crocheted or knitted in some 20 years, but my daughter wants to pick it up now. I can't seem to find any yarn shops nearby. I thought a yarn shop might be more able/willing to give us some beginner's tips. Are Hobby Lobby and Michaels our only options?

Hi, welcome to Waco! I am a knitter/crocheter type person and I have yet to find any cool yarn shops. I mostly shop at Joan Fabrics and Hobby Lobby. Sorry, Waco is kind of lame that way. For a beginner I would suggest a mid weight yarn/bulky yarn. Nothing tiny for sure! Get a size K or bigger crochet hook or comparable knitting needles. A simple scarf pattern might be easier. Just cast on/chain stitch enough stitches to create a 7-9 inch scarf, depending on your yarn size. Then just do the same stitch on each row until it's long enough! You can search online for beginning patterns and you will find many many blogs all about various people yarn obsession. There are all kinds of helpful hints and beginning projects that you may like. Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011 08:59:24 AM »

I've lived in and around Waco most my life and unfortunately I have to agree- We don't have much in the way of craft supplies outside of the larger chains (michael's, hobby lobby, JoAnn's). Occasionally you will find yarn at places like Big Lots or Dollar Tree but it's always novelty stuff like eyelash yarn or chenille.

Buuutt... now that I know there are fellow Craftsters right here in my town, perhaps we could plan a yarn run down to Austin sometime or something?  Or maybe just hang out to stitch with like-minded company...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
sweetstitch

sweet is ,is sweet does.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012 09:29:35 PM »

I'm planning to move to waco, I live in Walnut Springs. I feel like it's the ghost town from never never land .(being soft on words) lol.
anyways , I am a crafter too . I do plastic canvas and cross stitch and I found in ....hobby lobby this loom the kids can get that they used to sell in my days and I'm trying to remember how to do it. Right now I'm trying to do better with crocheting too. I've thought to leave knitting till I get the hang of crocheting. Tongue  boy it feels like I get too much on my list of "to finish" I have way to many projects to finish and never the right yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never give up dreaming for those dreams can be saved or used and carried around with you when you need to smile.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 4
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 3
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 2
How to do A Graduated Bob with Shattered Layer - Part 3
How to do A Razor Haircut Technique for Whole Head - Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...