A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
764 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ironing...  (Read 1328 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AnoxiaSan
« on: December 12, 2010 09:39:30 PM »

Well, growing up I never used an iron.  I just didn't care.  I was fairly active [playing outside until I was about 16.]  I'd wear my clothes rollerskating, skateboarding and whatever... so I figured that there was no point in ironing if I'd just go and rip a hole in them anyway.   Well I guess I cant lie.  I used to iron my money, haha.

Anyway, so I'm away at college, and before I came up here my mom gave me an Iron.  It was a cheap $7 dollar iron from walmart.  I remember looking at it with an "are you kidding" face.  Well anyway to the point...  I loved that iron.  Since going up to school I've had more space to work on my sewing [A whole apartment compared to an 12x9 bedroom.], and its been extremely helpful.  Ironing is great!  I even iron my clothes now!  People want me to iron their stuff too! [but I'm not THAT excited about it, I wont iron their stuff]

So when I sew, I have this habit of frantically stuffing fabric back into this container I keep it all in.  I'll slightly open the lid and stuff the fabric in there.   My big project now, is going through and ironing all my fabric.  I'm  was seriously having a good time until my boyfriend tripped over the cord, causing the iron to fall and split wide open.  So, I went to walmart and upgraded to a $10 dollar iron!  I love this thing even more so than my old iron!

Anyway, so I was wondering if anyone else likes ironing?  Is it odd that a 23 year old likes to iron?  I've always felt like it was an old person thing, but I guess until you've put an ironed shirt or pair of pants on you wont really understand!

My grandmother has a Rowenta Iron and is in love with it.  Maybe the love of ironing is in the genes. : O
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please see my Etsy:   www.anoxiasan.etsy. com  Help a College Student out! : )

*Currently Sewing tons of scarves*
Confuzzle
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010 03:32:52 AM »

You are not alone.  Grin

Ever since I was a little kid (maybe six or so?) I would beg to iron things. Anything. Doll clothes, socks, underwear, it didn't matter. It's the way the iron feels going across the fabric itself, and watching the wrinkles "magically" disappear, that makes it sort of an awesome zen thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lil_abi
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011 06:28:47 PM »

I find it very relaxing, especially if steaming fabric, and most especially in the winter.  There's something about bringing chaos into order that can be relaxing.  It's divine to put on warm clothing in the frigid house first thing on a winter morning.  I just don't enjoy ironing in the summer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
Toru
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011 03:23:07 PM »

I guess I could see how it could be theraputic  Cheesy but I have gone for years refusing to iron and buy anything that needed ironing.
Im back into ironing again now... I could do with a decent iron board though.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 04:45:25 PM by Toru » THIS ROCKS   Logged

come visit my blog!
http://toru3.blogspot.com/
shebear
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011 01:11:49 PM »

It has been shown that rhythmic repetitive acts help prevent and manage stress, pain and depression, which in turn strengthens the bodys immune system.

It also lets your mind wonder and work things out.

Keep ironing if you like it. It's your body's tension reliever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AimeeRose
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011 06:42:27 PM »

It depends on WHAT is being ironed.  I love ironing fabric for sewing projects!  Ironing my husband's button-down shirts for work-- sheer purgatory!!!  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharonelaine
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011 10:30:54 PM »

I'm with AimeeRose.  I won't iron my husband's shirts, but all he does is sit horseback all day so he's got noone to impress but the cows.  (OK, that's not all he does, but you get the idea...)

I've always hated ironing until I started quilting recently.  Now I'm learning to enjoy it.  I think part of it has to do with the fact that I'm from the generation of "wrinkle-free" and jersey knit.  We've never really needed to iron much before.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittlebub
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011 07:54:30 PM »

I love ironing, it's relaxing (I'm 26). But I don't iron anymore because I don't like to be interupted. And with 2 kids under 3, that isn't going to happen. I only iron my fabric now & if something desparately has to be ironed when we are going out.
When I was 18 I used to iron for other people, $20 a flat basket. A heaped basket would vary depending on how much there was.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 things 2013

I have a new postal address. PM me if you need it - 3/16/12
Demi_Kitten
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011 02:22:33 AM »

I iron fabric but that's about it. I think it doesn't help I have a cheap iron (it sucks too) and a rubbish ironing board. First thing I'm gonna do when I leave student housing into my own place is get a good iron and ironing board. I don't mind ironing, just not with a rubbish iron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Athena: Today I was beat in a weaving contest by a mortal, so I threw a little bit of a hissy fit at her, so she hung herself...long story short she's a spider and everyone thinks I'm a bitch. FML
scubagirl
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011 03:07:56 PM »

I have to say I've never enjoyed ironing. I've been doing it from a very early age (did all the family's laundry since 9 years old) and that might have something to do with it. I've just started to learn to sew and I saw this cute iron for sale at Jo-an's and I think I'm in love.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If You're Lucky Enough To Live in the Florida Keys, You're Lucky Enough.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Darker-Skinned Women Say Cosmetic Companies Are Ignoring Their Needs
How to Apply a Natural Fake Tan
The Boyfriend Makeup Challenge
How to Do a Fresh Springtime Makeup Look
How to Create a Light, Natural Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...