A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,620
Currently Running With Scissors:
735 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Tin of Stuff OR a fixers Kit  (Read 3548 times)
Tags for this thread: kit , college , altoids_tin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 12, 2010 01:36:15 PM »

Hope this is a good place for this...it could be recycled, or altered Altoids tin with polyclay as well.

So I have 2 older nephews that have there birthday the same week..in Sept.  I was layed up with a new knee during that time, so I had a wee reprieve.  But I have been tossing around ideas since then as to what to do for them.  I had bought them the teeny tiny dynamo flashlights to put into there Christmas stuff...when I got an idea...

It's kinda like a survival kit, except it is more about fixing things then surviving zombies.  My nephews are or will be in college soon, and I remember not having things that I needed to fix things.  So I just tried to see how much I could stuff in that would be helpfull.  SO here is the list

5 pieces of paper, 5 safety pins, pencil, emery board, 3 paperclips, magnet, mini dynamo (crank) flashlight, electric tape, dental floss, 2 needles, strip of wool felt, straw, 3 bandaids (rolled), LED (rolled in the bandages), 3 nails, wire, nail clipper, 1 sq. ft. foil, 2 Glucose Tabs (wrapped in plastic and then foil) 1 plastic bag, scraper blade, 3 twist ties, 2 silicone bands, 5 rubber bands.

The lid is glow in the dark poly clay.  One of the kits stays shut...sort of.  But the other will not no matter how I arrange things.  SO yeah for rubber bands hehehe  And besides..it's really about the tiny crank flashlight LOL
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010 06:51:20 PM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
beefishie
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010 02:08:46 PM »

I am amazed that all of that fits into the little box. It is like having the fix it drawer from home!
Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps! I knit and make jewelry mostly, but do a few other crafts as well. PM me. =)
misskohaku
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010 02:33:32 PM »

That is so cool! I'm going off to college next year and I will definitely be making me and my close friends some of those. That is an amazing idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010 06:09:36 PM »

such a fantastic idea!
really practical too
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010 07:11:36 PM »

I really like that idea! It's amazing how you put so much stuff into one tiny box!
 I did something sort of similar last year, but it was more of an office supply/sewing kit, and on the large side. Being tiny is so much more portable! They're more apt to keep it in the backpack.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012 10:44:15 AM »

It is like MacGyver in a tin! Cheesy

One of the best things my dad gave me when I was off to college was a little larger version of your kit!  It seemed like I was known as the girl who could handle any situation!

How great for you to make these for your nephews!  The tiny flashlight is a find!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012 10:20:59 PM »

Thanks always Grin  I am one of those folks who will carry a super heavy bag just so I can have things with me "just in case".  I have a full arsenal of tiny tools and am always on the look out for more.  I found the wee flashlights at a place called Lee Valley Tools in Canada.  But the last time I was at an ACE Hardwear in the states, I saw some there.  They are only around 2$
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012 08:11:31 PM »

What a fantastic idea!! I could use this too but I can see that it would be especially handy for a college student that doesn't have much stuff or much space to put stuff in Smiley. This is compact but still comprehensive. Nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
CDEeeek
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012 07:03:45 AM »

"It's kinda like a survival kit, except it is more about fixing things then surviving zombies."

I believe in the event of an apocalypse, a "survival tin" such as this would be as important to one's survival as the emergency kind. I am positive it is creativity and personal expression that enhances survival. Your kit is awesome, and gives me some great ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I has a pinterest: http://pinterest.com/cdeeeek/

"It's an electronics store, Major, not Basra. Get it under control."
suereal

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012 10:14:37 AM »

I think it will be the tiny things we need and will miss during an apocalypse.  Like needles, paper clips and rubber bands.  I have sewing needles stashed all over the place at my house...ok...so maybe I'm hiding them in the couch and carpets and the edges of my rooms.  But I'd rather think of them as stashed then dropped and lost Grin

And thanks for the nice comments Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Alejandro from Total Drama World Tour
How to Draw Dino
How to Paint With an Air Compressor
How to Draw Decorative Letters
How to Draw Anime Girls
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...