A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beginner's Sea Glass  (Read 2343 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlecarnivore
« on: December 12, 2010 07:45:42 AM »

So not so long ago, my husband and I got stationed at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Its kind of like living in a super small town in the middle of nowhere except there are no craft supplies on the island and no book stores either. What we do have is beaches! Beaches and wild life and pretty things. One of the beaches is called glass beach. Betcha can't guess why. So we literally have a beach that sparkles in the sunlight. Its kind of like a base past time to go out and collect sea glass and use it to decorate. Unfortunately my husband does not support my pack rat ways so I had to find a use for all my shinies. Jewelry! God bless internet shopping because that's the only way to get any components.

Here are my first attempts. I've never made jewelry before but i'm somewhat proud of myself. Please excuse the poor photo quality.

And some close ups.

and some bracelets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
habitat-lady
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010 08:02:33 AM »

I think they looks awesome.  Love the steampunk ones.  Great job making due with whats available.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

http://www.wists.com/habitat-lady
6craftycats
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010 08:03:49 AM »

These are beautiful! You did a great job! If I lived there, I think I would have spent everyday at that beach lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftytwin
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010 08:20:54 AM »

Cute you should make some earrings
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cxcaitlyn
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010 09:34:41 AM »

Pretty! I love sea glass, but unfortunately there aren't too many beaches in Iowa....  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010 09:45:29 AM »

Awesome glass charms! We have several oceanside beaches here, but beach glass is kinda rare to find now because of the use of plastic bottles & redemption (turning in the glass bottles for $$$). It's great that you are gifted to be able to do crafting with the natural items around you. I like seeing regional crafts. Do the other people that live there make crafts with locally found objects?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
Anna Iv
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010 12:56:49 PM »

They are so nice! I've found some pieces of beach glass and some really cool stones during the vacation at the Black Sea in Bulgaria, but I still just keep them in the box and have no idea where to use them. Is the wire you use hard? I do not have the appropriate wire, only very thin and too soft...   Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlecarnivore
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010 05:51:44 PM »

They are so nice! I've found some pieces of beach glass and some really cool stones during the vacation at the Black Sea in Bulgaria, but I still just keep them in the box and have no idea where to use them. Is the wire you use hard? I do not have the appropriate wire, only very thin and too soft...   Sad
I use silver colored copper wire in 20 and 22 gauge. It is very soft but holds up pretty well, not to mention cheap.
Awesome glass charms! We have several oceanside beaches here, but beach glass is kinda rare to find now because of the use of plastic bottles & redemption (turning in the glass bottles for $$$). It's great that you are gifted to be able to do crafting with the natural items around you. I like seeing regional crafts. Do the other people that live there make crafts with locally found objects?

Yes, we have a craft fair here once or twice a year. There's always lots of sea glass and sea pottery jewelry, some photographs, and sculptures made out of shells.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010 10:57:53 PM »

gorgeous! what a clever idea to add the watch parts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010 10:35:12 AM »

It's beautiful and your wraps are very neat. But I think my favourites are the watchgear pendants - the parts look like they are floating against the seafrosted glass, all ethereal and elegant. Very pretty indeed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sell Handmade Jewelry
Homemade Jewelry Gift Ideas
Getting Started Making Jewelry
Essential Jewelry Making Tools
Ideas for Beaded Necklaces
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...