A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Ever Quilt Attempt? Success!  (Read 1362 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hy_perion
Geeky Gap-Year Girl

what is essential is invisible to the eye

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2010 02:18:09 AM »

A few months ago, I was wandering around Spotlight when I found four lovely brown fabrics, all on clearance. I snapped them up thinking I would use them to make a bag or something. Instead, I decided (after looking at all the lovely quilts here) that I would attempt to make my own quilt.

It is by no means perfect, nor is it heavily quilted, as my tiny sewing machine was groaning under the stress of the fabric it *did* quilt, but it's mine and it's snuggly, and I love it. I only used three of the original four fabrics to make this, plus a plain tan on the back and plain brown on the sides, but I don't have photos of that.

This is my lovely fabric pile after spending two hours cutting out the pieces with scissors. I have since gone out and bought a round...cutter...th ing, because a lot of people on Craftster recommend them, and it saved me a lot of insanity when making the binding.

All my squares sewn together, before being trimmed down to be made perfectly square. This is the best photo to see the patterns on the fabric -- my favorite is the darkest one.

This is my aforementioned tiny sewing machine being a little trooper and sewing through the three layers of quilt, plus the binding. It was making a very unhappy clomping sound, but made it! I was so proud, but I will be sad to see this machine go when I upgrade at Christmas. This picture is the closest to the true colours of the fabric, too.

And here's the quilt itself, as held up by my mother. The colours are off here, as they're much richer in real life, but at least the pattern is visible.

And this is Balthier, grinning his approval at the finished product. He gets to sleep on it. he'd better like it!

Thank you so much for looking Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here, and now.
Padester
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010 04:52:32 AM »

Great job!  Now you're hooked, eh? Cheesy  Though it can be a bit of a pain, making quilts is also a bit addcting!  Have fun with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Linnybelle
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010 04:34:36 PM »

I really like it.  I keep meaning to try that pattern but haven't managed it yet.  Your version looks quite nice.  I really like the fabrics you chose, they are all very interesting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
maethebear
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010 08:38:57 AM »

i'm looking for ideas for a first quilt and now i think i'll copy urs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrskristina
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010 02:47:24 PM »

LOVE the pattern. That's one lucky (and adorable) pooch. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hy_perion
Geeky Gap-Year Girl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010 06:12:20 PM »

sorry it took so long to get back to everyone, I just started on a tickertape quilt (that is being washed quickly after a cola accident.)

@padester: definately. I started a ticker-tape one, and now my mother is making sounds about wanting a quilt of her own.

@linnybelle: it is such a simple pattern! you should do it!

@maethebear: please do! i copied others here as well! And it is honestly a super-easy pattern to do.

@mrskristina: thanks! and he is, isn't he? he sleeps on it at the end of my bed now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here, and now.
swapshop
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011 12:54:37 PM »

I love your arrangement and the browns!  the simplicity of this type of block is great and so versatile - check out mine here
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=363560.0

i will be making more - let us know how your ticker tape progresses (and if the cola doesn't come out - its an opportunity to try applique!   Grin )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessiekay77
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011 09:10:22 PM »

Wow, this is your first attempt at quilting?
That is just amazing.
Were you an adept sewer before this?
Because I am considering getting started quilting, and I have used a sewing machine before, but my experience is not extensive.
Do you think I should practice more before committing to a quilt?

P.S.
I love the quilt colors, btw. My room is tan so I may do mine in similar colors.
What an inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hy_perion
Geeky Gap-Year Girl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011 10:26:26 PM »

jessiekay: Definately give it a go. I'd had some practice, but this one is all just straight lines -- all you have to do is square your edges properly, and you can do it! Let me know how it goes Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips For False Lashes and Daytime Foundation
Anna Sui - NYFW Spring 2014 - Interviews, Backstage & Runway
BEAUTY BUZZ: Creatures of the Wind Spring 2014
How to Make Your Eyes Look Brighter
Jamberry Nail Wrap Review: How to Get a Fabulous Manicure at Home
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...