A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,457
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing vinyl - need a special sewing needle?  (Read 2070 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

camel
« on: May 25, 2005 07:24:29 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.. I know how to sew, but not that competent.. I don't know how to put in a zipper or a buttonhole.. but my Q is, If I want to sew some vinyl (faux leather) to make a bag, do I need some kind of special thicker/stronger needle?

LMK thanks.

edited - sorry my Q was supposed to say 'needle' not 'zipper'!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005 07:37:15 PM by camel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ParanoidEv
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005 07:28:52 AM »

I do not know, but what you do need to take in mind is to be very careful with what you sew, because you can see every hole of the needle in vinyl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Put your hay on the ground and your sexy legs in the air! You have the right to remain wheeking for pellets!
WhimsyTyme
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005 08:28:37 AM »

It really is going to depend on the actual vinyl you select.  There are lots of different textures and densitys out there.  The absolute best thing is ask where you are buying it or take a sample of what you are wanting to use into a store and ask the sales ladies their opinion.  They really know their stuff! 

Too, I sew a bag with a vinyl lining and a fabric outter.  I wash it on hot and dry it afterwards and the vinyl type material I use seals back up at the stitch holes.  Be careful with pining before stitching.  Try using paper or binder clips, this will eliminate any additional holes.  Along the same idea, be careful with your tension, too tight will cause the holes to pull open.  DEFINITELY test on a scrap of the exact fabric/vinyl you will be using for your project first!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005 09:19:23 AM »

It depends on your vinyl choice and the look you are going for as well.
Use a longer stitch length when sewing the vinyl to help minimize the needle holes.  If your stitch length is too tight you can actually cut your vinyl. So definately do a test strip first.

If your faux leather is a fashion weight then you can actually use a small zipper in it like a skirt or something like that. If you look at the ones in the stores these are small zippers.

But if you are making a purse or bag the bigger zipper might be a better choice. You are more likely to use it  more so the constant use might break it down a little faster.
Hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

camel
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005 12:45:12 AM »

Anyone? I meant sewing machine needle.
Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005 04:28:41 PM »

I never use a special needle. I just use the needle that I chose for the weight of the fabric.  I generally use a size 14 for most things. But I have switched to a size 12 for a very thin vinyl or faux leather. It leaves a smaller hole.  I also just buy the generic needles.
 For many years I sewed so much and was changing needles so often that I just use the cheap ones now cause I couldn't afford to keep up with the cost.
But be sure what ever needle you do use is sharp. If it hits the presser foot or the plate make sure you change it. A blunt needle makes bad holes.
If your faux leather or pleather has a knitted look on the back then you use the ball point needle.
 SO I think the more knit (stretchy fabric) there is on the backing then go to the ball point needle. But a regular size 14 ball point should work for most. Does this help you out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

camel
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005 05:54:18 AM »

Yes.. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MnkyMama
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007 06:06:20 PM »

I am working on sewing a purse that is a gameboard covered in vinyl, but I'm having trouble with my needle breaking on my machine.  I have the 16 needle, which was the strongest I could find.  Can anyone help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brubendall
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007 07:55:42 PM »

16 is not going to be strong enough.  You need either an 18 or a leather needle.

It will also help if you have a rolling foot.  if you don't, try putting a layer of tissue paper inbetween your pressure foot and the vinyl, that way it doesn't stick and possibly stress the needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lizabethdesign.etsy.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizabethdesign/

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
MnkyMama
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007 07:58:03 PM »

aahh!  Ok, I'm totally new to sewing....I have just been learning as I go..so this will really help!  Awesome!  Thanks!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Spiced Cardamom Cookies
How to Make Caramelized Bread Pudding with Chocolate
How to Make Walnut-Chocolate Sticky Buns
How to Make a Sticky Toffee Pudding
5 Interesting Ways to Cook With Chocolate
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...