A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,959
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beer Washed Chicken  (Read 1149 times)
Tags for this thread: chicken , recipe , beer , barbeque  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheFanatic
« on: December 20, 2010 10:21:26 AM »

Beer and chicken.  It's like Peanut Butter and Jelly.  Salt and pepper. Bourbon and ice. Cagney and Lacey.  They just go together. 

This recipe is for those of us who are looking for something awesome on the grill but don't have the time to marinate or brine ahead of time.  And besides, it's beer and chicken.  How could you go wrong?

Here's the full write up with pictures.

And here are the mouthwatering pictures.  Sorry to do this before lunch:

And here's the write up without the pics for those that don't want to deal with the link:

Beer and chicken always seem to go hand in hand. For instance, the recipe for beer-can-chicken is very popular to many backyard grillers. Marinades are the preferred method of injecting flavor into fowl. The obvious chicken marinade is the one when you take a drink of beer after you eat a chicken wing. However, have you ever washed your chicken in beer bath on the grill? This is an interesting take on yet another way of kicking up the taste buds for two complementary ingredients.

Beer washed chicken (adapted from Bobs smoke-n-brews blog)

Ingredients:

9 chicken thighs
Penzeys Northwoods rub (or use your favorite rub)

Chicken wash:

1 bottle of beer
cup olive oil
3 tbs brown sugar
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
3 tbs rub

15 minute prep time
1 hour 10 minute cook time

Instructions:

1. Rinse chicken and pat dry:

2. Apply rub to the chicken, get underneath the skin too. I used Penzeys Northwoods rub:

3. Set up grill for two zone cooking with coals on one side and nothing on the other.  Shoot for 350 degrees inside the grill. Place chicken on the cool side of the grill, skin side up. I used a couple chunks of apple wood for smoke.

4. Mix all ingredients of the chicken wash in a sauce pan.

Boil all the ingredients together, this does two things. 1) Dissolves the brown sugar. 2) Cooks the alcohol out of the beer.

5. Pour the beer wash into a 913 glass baking dish or use a bowl.

Here is the chicken at 20 minutes:

Chicken at the 40 minute mark:

6. After the 40 minute mark, start the first wash. Place the chicken in beer wash and coat all sides. Let it soak for a few minutes:

7. Place the chicken back on the grill:

8. After another 10 minutes, apply the 2nd wash, same deal as before.

9. Place the chicken back on the grill. They will either be done in another 15 minutes or until the interior temp reaches 165 degrees:

You might be saying, Why not just marinate? Well, this beer bath came in handy when I didnt have time to marinate beforehand. Most of the time, I dont think about what Im having for dinner until I leave work. Hence, my motivation to share this quasi-marinade with those of us that dont plan ahead. After all, improvising is a large part of BBQ.

The beer bath managed to keep the chicken moist during the one hour long cook time. Usually, chicken takes around 45 minutes on my cooker (depends on the grill), but since part of the process is to open and close the cook chamber a few times, the extra time is necessary due to loss of heat, particularly in the winter when it takes longer to build the heat back up inside the grill. Moreover, because of the oil in the bath, it gives the chicken a glossy appearance which looks appetizing to me. In addition, the flavor of the beer is evident but not overpowering. This leads me to think any liquid can be substituted here. For example, you can try apple cider vinegar, teriyaki, orange juice, whiskey, balsamic vinegar, tequila, etc or any combination of these. I look forward to doing this again.

Delisioso!

***Editors Note ~ Great job as usual, Arthur.  Thanks for sharing with all the Grillin Fools***
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady sadie
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010 10:32:01 AM »

Oh yum! That looks like some incredible bird.  Too bad it's snowing like crazy outside - a true grilling experience is well out of reach for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010 10:32:35 AM »

That looks so yummy! Thanks for the recipe, I'm passing it on to my husband!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheFanatic
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010 01:08:36 PM »

Oh yum! That looks like some incredible bird.  Too bad it's snowing like crazy outside - a true grilling experience is well out of reach for me!
My favorite time to grill.  Seriously.  Supposed to snow on Thursday night.  I'll be grilling.  I am the Grillin Fool, after all!?!

Here's a picture of me grilling some chicken two years ago while getting about 7 inches:

Me checking the grill:

The chicken I did indirect:

In the 90 minutes it took me to grill the chicken the snow went from this much:

To this much:

Took my oldest son sledding for the first time that day:

Here's how I kept my beer cold:

Seems a little overkill since it was only about 20 degrees.

Oh, and here's the chicken when it was done:

I loves me some grilling in the snow!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010 02:33:09 PM »

I do love bourbon and ice.... Will have to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010 04:52:56 PM »

I don't own a grill, well i did but it had to go back to the shop as it was faulty..it is certainly cold enough for your kind of grilling here..just no snow Sad but mostly I wanted to say its great to see more men on craftster!...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
She Crab Soup Recipe
Bacon Explosion Recipe
Spiced Nuts
Macaroni and Cheese
How to Cook a Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...