A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buyer Frustrated With Communication.  (Read 2243 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cantafruit
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010 11:07:22 AM »

Sent her a convo telling her how much I liked the painting, that I would purchase from her again

(...)

She lost a return customer.

I don't quite understand why you are being so sensitive. I also have my own business, not in the crafts industry but I deal with a lot of different people. Some reply after receiving files from me, some don't. Some just send me a check without a word. Etc. No harm done, business has been done, let's move on.

I think maybe you wanted to receive multiple messages from her, stating how grateful she is that you purchased from her? Or what would those additional messages need to convey, since all helpful info about the product was already exchanged?

Plus there is one oddity (see quote above). If you already stated you liked the painting and you'd buy from her again, why did you just tell us otherwise? Just based on lack of reply? I agree maybe ONE simple thank you was missing from the communication, but not necessarily so. I think the change of opinion from "I would buy from her again!" to "she has lost a customer" just based on the lac of a two-word message is pretty unreasonable. So did you like the painting or not really? Let's not get paranoid with the whole "customer is always boss" thing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*personal swap, anyone? I sew, knit and crochet*

wist: http://www.wists.com/cantafruit
metalsmitten
MetalSmitten!

Girl Silversmith. http://metalsmitten.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010 12:52:10 AM »

Just wanted to play devil's advocate here Smiley Two things immediately popped into my brain:

1) I've been on Etsy for about 4 years, and I've learned that as a seller, you can NOT please everyone. For example, some buyers expect a seller to convo them immediately after the sale to thank them etc, whereas other buyers get outright angry if you convo them, as they consider it spam. So, while you may have expected a convo'ed response, the seller may
have considered the feedback she left as her response and didn't want to "spam" you.

2) Artists are notorious for not being able to take compliments. Most of us immediately want to downplay anything positive you've said about the work, but that is very counterproductive for a business selling artwork, especially if you put down your work in front of someone who just bought it. Wink So she may honestly have not known how to say thank you without feeling awkward.

Of course, there are really any number of other reasons that are possible, and I do think she should have responded. But I have a tendency to always try to give the benefit of the doubt. Cheesy You have every right to be disappointed at the lack of response, but I wouldn't necessarily give up on her yet if you really do like her work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cj_stl
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011 04:33:49 PM »

For years I have watched my mom sell on ebay...with great results.  So when I decided to open my own etsy shop I used some her practices as a model. 

I sometimes feel as though I over communicate, but want my customers to be in the loop and satisfied!

I agree with the original post in this thread...communication is a must...let the customer know they matter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mekenoka
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011 06:47:28 PM »

I'm alittle weird with my messaging.  Before I ever send anything I always send a message stating what has been bought and where its being sent to and need a reply to confirm.  I do that cause I have had people yell at me and ask for a refund cause their kids bought something without their permission.  I know its not my fault that they didn't keep their password safe but I have found most kids don't message back, they buy and log off.  Now I know it pisses off people who don't want to chat but hey.. If you didn't want a message then don't shop at my store cause it stated on the front page.  I know this sounds bit like a rant but I have had trouble with buyers and being a buyer. 

But I do believe if someone sent a nice message about how they like my wares I would message back with a simple thank you.  But sometimes it takes abit for me to message back a thank you.  I have clay on my hands alot and some should know how messy and sometimes hard it is to get off..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turkey Sloppy Joe Recipe with a Twist
Grub Street Chicago: Table, Donkey and Stick Picks a Chef
Guy Fieri Defends Restaurant After Awful Review
How to Brine Turkey
How to Make Gravy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...