A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buyer Frustrated With Communication.  (Read 2178 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2010 12:30:21 AM »

I'm an Etsy buyer only. I've talked about how much communication means to me on a couple of threads.

Recently I found an item on Etsy I really liked. The seller had a low feedback rating for her number of sales so I sent her a convo about it. I asked if she smoked etc. I got a nice convo back from her and she stated she took pride in her items and didn't know why her feedback was so low. She didn't smoke. I purchased the item and sent her another convo, thanking her for her reply and stating I had bought the item. A smaller painting. It wasn't very expensive.

No reply back.

I received the painting quickly, in a nice bubble envelope but without any other protection. Since it was on stretched canvas, I was lucky it didn't get damaged.

Left her good feedback. Sent her a convo telling her how much I liked the painting, that I would purchase from her again and hoped her feedback grew.

No reply back.

She had a nice item, other things I liked but I deleted her shop from my favorites. She lost a return customer.

Any thoughts. Am I being too sensitive. She did leave me feedback but ignoring my convo after I communicated with her just really gets to me. I feel like sending her a message stating she lost a return customer but I don't like to be confrontational. Or mean. I know it's a busy time of year but if you are that busy, close your shop for a time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010 05:32:40 AM »

Maybe she just didn't have anything to say.

Or perhaps she did something I'm guilty of and read the convo in her email and thought she replied but never did. I do that all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010 12:00:54 PM »

I'm sure she could have thought of something to say.

It's just too bad, that this seller lost a basically guaranteed return customer based on her poor communication.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010 12:01:41 PM by Teresa_T » THIS ROCKS   Logged
azreno
Lynn

I hate boxes!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010 06:35:12 AM »

I completely agree! I think as a crafter/artist/artisan trying to sell your work, part of the package is a one on one relationship with your customers. If you can't, won't, or don't want to do that, you should probably find something else to do. People who buy handmade don't just want to buy handmade, they want to feel good about buying handmade. They want to feel like there is that person on the other side who appreciates their business and is worthy of it as well. They want to know something about that person and feel they are approachable, warm, and friendly. If you prove you are not then you are going to lose a lot of business. I pride myself on making sure I return every email promptly, I worry when I don't get a reply back, because I think maybe they didn't get it and are now frustrated thinking I did not reply back, but I also know not all customers are going to reply back unless they need to, so I try to treat every communication with respect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maggiedoll
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010 09:54:04 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure that she "could have though of something to say."  Lots of people just aren't good at communicating.  Others aren't sure when a communication requires a response.  If the later messages that you sent her weren't questions, she may very well just not have had anything to say.  I can't imagine that this could be particularly uncommon among people who sell on etsy.  Selling online means minimal interaction with people, certainly much less than at a craft fair or something like that.  And people who make nice handmade items are likely to be more concerned with their product than their customers, although a solid argument could be made for the concern with the product actually being concern for customers.  Artisans frequently don't make great business people. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherryrose
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010 10:20:21 AM »

I myself would always thank someone for their interest in my products,
and for buying the item. Messages don't have to be long, but I would always reply back.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I'm up for personal swaps!*
http://www.wists.com/cherryrose
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010 01:07:52 PM »

azreno and cherryrose, thanks for your replies. I do think communication is important. One big reason is we don't know who we are buying from. If someone communicates well then I think the buyer has a better feeling about who they are purchasing from. I can remember going to craft/art shows in the past where some vendors were very friendly and helpful and some looked at me like "why are you touching my stuff" I certainly didn't purchase from the latter.

It sounds like your are both good communicators with your customers.

Maggiedoll, thanks for your reply also. It's a good point you make that artists may not be the best business people. Perhaps they are more introverted. I can relate. I'm not the most social and friendly person. I'm an RN and when I'm at work, whether I feel like it or not, I need to have that smile on my face and be friendly for those 8 (formerly 12) hours I'm working. Aside from my nursing skills, it's part of my job. And I guess it would be the same for an artistic person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010 02:14:57 PM »

I'll be honest I think I just don't know what to say a lot of the time. But I do try to at least tell my buyers the following:
When I've recieved payment, When I shipped(with shipping number), And that I've left them feedback.
If they tell me they've received(which has only happened once) and comment I say thanks. Honestly I don't know what more to do than that.
Some people are super chatty and while I am for certain topics I'm not when it comes to my products besides general info like what it was made with, and care, and such.
I do try to answer all questions in a polite way even when the answer was in the item description and if the person had read it they'd know all ready. lol
But that's all I can do as far as I know.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010 02:16:12 PM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010 07:34:47 PM »

Thank you very much for raising this question. It has changed the way I do business!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherryrose
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010 01:07:50 PM »

Teresa, I am not selling anything yet, but I'm planning on it.
When I buy something myself I like good communication,
so when I begin to sell, I want to reply to everything,
because that's the way I like it myself.

Also I would seriously love it if anyone did so much at look at my crafting,
let alone buy it! I would thank them big time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I'm up for personal swaps!*
http://www.wists.com/cherryrose
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Costume Designer Ruth Carter LIVE
Bringing the Four Seasons Pool Room Home
Is Ecodesign a Ripoff? How to Afford a Healthy Home
Frank Lloyd Wright or An Igloo? Sexy Homes on Airbnb
Granite Vs. Laminate: Sustainability Below the Surface
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...