A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thick Foam Dog Bed  (Read 2343 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_bed  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

frenchbrandles
« on: December 09, 2010 09:04:07 PM »

I've been looking into those fancy orthopedic dog beds for my Lab Sam, because he's a big boy and I'm trying to take it easy on his hips so he won't have problems later in life. (He'll be a year old in January, so he's got awhile.) Unfortunately those beds run from $90-$300 for Sam's X-Large size, so I decided to do it myself.

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a twin-size and a full-size of their cheapest foam mattress pads. I cut the twin in half and the full in quarters, stacked them, and stuffed them in a custom bed cover I sewed with piping and a zipper in the back (my first time using either). Sam's new bed is a hefty 7" thick and not even his 100-lb butt can flatten it  Cheesy

All in all, Sam's new bed cost around $30. That's even cheaper than most X-Large pillow beds that flatten out after a week. Sam certainly seems to like his Christmas present! And by like I mean give me the evil eye so I'll quit taking pictures and let him sleep...

Just for comparison, this was Sam's old Large-size pillow bed; the new one is definitely an improvement!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leigh7911
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010 10:13:38 PM »

Oh, what a pretty boy!!

Also, great idea! I'd totally steal your idea if it wouldn't be pointless. We have a freakin' couch in our room, and only one of our three dogs actually sleeps on it. One prefers laying with his body on a pillow and his head on the floor, and the oldest won't give up curling up with the pile of shoes at the end of the bed. Sigh. Too bad, this bed looks great. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010 06:41:59 AM »

What a great idea to get the foam pads! It turned out to be a wonderful project and obviously he loves it!

My old dog has suddenly been sneaking in our bedroom and sleeping on our bed! After 11 years, I guess he no longer wants to sleep on his couch (I am guessing that it is too tall for him to jump up on now and our bed is a lower platform bed!)...

What type of fabric is that?  Did you make the cover removeable for washing? Did you use any adhesive to keep the two parts of the foam together?  I was thinking of using that spray on adhesive but I am worried that it might be smelly and he won't use the bed...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
frenchbrandles
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010 06:57:21 AM »

The fabric is a cotton print I picked up from Wal-Mart on sale, with a coordinating blue/green cotton print for the piping. I think the fabrics were originally part of a quilt kit...

The cover has a 36" zipper along one of the long sides (the side against the wall in the picture) so it's removable for washing. I didn't use any adhesive with the foam because the friction between the layers was enough to keep them in place! It actually made it difficult to stuff evenly, hence the lumps of some of the edges you can see in the picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010 07:02:24 AM »

Good point!  One piece would be hard to stuff into the cover!! I know on my chair cushions I use batting around the foam to even out the lumps...but for a dog, I don't think it matters to them! Cheesy

Again, thanks for the info...you did a wonderful job!  My dog will also thank you if I can make him a new bed for the 2011! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
frenchbrandles
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010 07:03:00 AM »

Oh, what a pretty boy!!

Also, great idea! I'd totally steal your idea if it wouldn't be pointless. We have a freakin' couch in our room, and only one of our three dogs actually sleeps on it. One prefers laying with his body on a pillow and his head on the floor, and the oldest won't give up curling up with the pile of shoes at the end of the bed. Sigh. Too bad, this bed looks great. Smiley

Thank you! Marcus, the little dog in the last picture, likes to lay all stretched out with his head hanging off of something. He's a weird kid. Sam, on the other hand, prefers to lay anywhere cushy, and his old bed was just not up to the challenge of a rhino sleeping on it  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frenchbrandles
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010 07:05:31 AM »

Good point!  One piece would be hard to stuff into the cover!! I know on my chair cushions I use batting around the foam to even out the lumps...but for a dog, I don't think it matters to them! Cheesy

Again, thanks for the info...you did a wonderful job!  My dog will also thank you if I can make him a new bed for the 2011! Cheesy

Thanks! Yeah, I probably could have taken extra time to trim the foam edges a little more, or mush in some polyfil, but I figured Sam's big butt would do the evening-out for me over time.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010 08:04:50 AM »

yep--plus mine drags stuff around and pushes things up against the wall...it would never stay nice and neat anyway.. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
lil_abi
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011 09:00:53 AM »

Bravo on this project!  I'm planning something like this.  My dog is only around 70 lbs, but the nice cushy dog beds are just too spendy for me.  I have scoured TJ Maxx and thrift stores, and all I can find is the usual thing ones stuffed with polyester batting.  I know they'll flatten in no time.  As Finley just turned 13 and is no longer up for the leap onto our 4-poster bed, he spends more time on his own bed.  I called an upholstery shop, with the idea to take their cast-off bits of foam and make a big cushy, supportive pillow for him.  By chance they had some old couch cushions (big ones!) that they can't (by law) reuse, so they gave them to me for free!  I'm planning on cutting a large rectangle of foam, wrapping it in batting (to soften the edges) and making a cover for it like you did. 

For any one else thinking of doing this, call upholstery shops.  You never know what they'll have!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
aprettymess

plenty of creativity... not enough hands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011 11:39:05 AM »

wow i love this! my pup will love if i do it for her too lol
do you think you can take a picure of the zippered side for me? i am new to zippers (new as in i have only sewn one lol) and i think its be easier if i saw it to figure out how to do it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lisa Price on Using Items From Her Kitchen for Hair Care
Tia Mowry-Hardrict’s Top 5 Hair Must-Haves
Tia Mowry-Hardrict Reveals Her Hair Challenges
How to Blow Dry Natural Hair
How to Properly Detangle Natural Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...