A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,071
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet [question: why does sc tend to curl?]  (Read 1006 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kcraft49
« on: December 02, 2010 08:27:07 PM »

H, everyone i have a funny question. When you single crochet a few rows, why does it start too roll at the end? Too tight? It drives me crazy. Thank You
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010 03:08:31 AM by fantasticmio - Reason: added more descriptive title » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010 03:19:01 AM »

It's just the nature of the stitch, really.  There are things you can do the lessen the problem, or make it go away, but it can affect the look and feel of the finished project.

Use a bigger hook - the more loose your stitches are, the less of a problem this is.  This will change the drape of your fabric, too.

Block it - if you're using a natural fibre, you can usually get rid of the curl by blocking it... dampen the project, then spread it out flat (use rust-proof pins if needed), and when it dries, it should stay in the shape you left it.

Add a border - adding a border usually does the trick, but, it alters the look of the project.  There are lots and lots of options for borders, though. ^_^

Just a final note: make sure sc is the right stitch for your project.  Perhaps an extended sc would work, or even a hdc or dc.  I would hesitate to use sc for, say, a square blanket worked in rows. 

Come to think of it, I'm having a hard time coming up with a good project for sc worked in rows... I don't use sc very often!  I mainly use sc in things like amigurumi, and bags, where the curl goes away just by virtue of there either not being any edge, or the edge being sewn up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kcraft49
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010 06:59:26 PM »

Thank you very much. I started all over with a hdc. Like it better.And that is faster anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sherrrry561
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010 04:50:19 AM »

I'm a little late to this party but I have found that when my work curls it's a sign that my chain row is too tight.   I will redo it with a larger hook, that works for me because I tend to chain on the tight side but stitch just right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lightroom Tutorials: Editing a Beach Photo
Photoshop Tutorials: Stitching and Cleaning Up Panoramas
Photoshop Tutorials: Adding Contrast and Clarity
How to Make Your Photoshop Text Look More Professional
How to Sample Photoshop Colors From Anywhere on Your Desktop
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...