A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving into a house... UGLY cupboards!  (Read 1946 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

irockmysocksoff
« on: December 09, 2010 09:58:33 AM »

My boyfriend, roommate and I are moving into a house in 11 days. Pretty short notice. The house is so cute, and has a ton of potential, except we are renting.  I am really excited about this place for quite a few reasons:

1. My boyfriend's aunt is going to be our landlord, and her husband, the maintenance guy.
2. IT IS A HOUSE! Well, duplex, but a HOUSE. Not a stinkin' apartment.
3.It is like a 2 minute walk to the center of downtown, and like a 5 minute walk to Caribou coffee, and right on the bus line which is great seeing that I don't drive.

However, these kitchen cupboards are so nasty. Now, since we are just renting, and poor, we can't do anything to these nastys, but I Would like to make them more aesthetically pleasing, since I do spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  Does anyone have any ideas for something that is a non-permanent fix for these?:

So, here's the thing, I sort of do appreciate that they are already white, which is pretty cute, but it is the nasty wood bordering it.  (I can not STAND the look of wood, I have no idea why, I just don't like it) Its not like I can change the drawer pulls, because there aren't any. I am just at a loss.

Just thought I would add: none of the junk on the counters is ours, these were taken on the 1st of the month, and the previous tenants had literally just moved out. And that weird looking microwave thing on the counter in the first picture is actually a mini dishwasher we learned. weird.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CleanFeelin

Crafter's Block = My worst enemy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010 11:01:29 AM »

What about covering it with with fabric in a more neutral color?  I saw in another post somewhere on here where someone made a mixture of starch and stuch fabric on their walls and it seemed to come off pretty easy and not stain the wall.

Cutting out a design from scrapbook paper and putting it up with contact paper?

You could change the color of the cabinets with the colors of the season.  I was really inspired by your cabinets Grin

Hope this helps.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist
wists.com/CPhelan
Pinterest
pinterest.com/cphelan318/

Current Swaps:
Mini 12 Days of Christmas - Crafting!

Personal Swaps Welcome
aliceownsj00
werd homie.

Life's grand, aint it?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010 10:10:14 PM »

I saw on here a while back they put ribbon on there, looked pretty! Contact paper would be a cool idea, get some that removes easy. I have a friend who covered her apartment kitchen cabinets with pictures from magazines lol looked interesting.

trying to think of more options... maybe find some creative fabric curtains? lol depends on what you can get away with really haha 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angeldawning
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011 09:56:32 AM »

Vinyl cut outs could also be a good solution... There are tons of patterns and types of cutout out there, and once you're done with the place just peel off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenwitch
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011 02:32:49 PM »

haha I have those same cabinets.  I love the look of wood and I still think these are ugly.  My landlord was unsure about it but agreed to let me paint and add hardware.  I painted the strips to match the walls and drilled holes so I could add pulls.
The pulls alone made them way more tolerable.  They were really cheap on ebay too.  The only rule was that I have to leave them here when I move since I put the holes in the doors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maggiedoll
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011 05:58:30 AM »

haha I have those same cabinets.  I love the look of wood and I still think these are ugly.
Ditto!  I'm going to replace them eventually..  there's just always something else I end up doing.  And even making it a DIY project, replacing cabinets, even just cabinet doors, is expensive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Move Selection from One Image into Another
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing Adobe Photoshop CS2
Adobe Production Studio - Working with the Scrub Tool
Adobe Production Studio - Adjusting Panels and Saving a Custom Workspace
Adobe Production Studio - Looking at the Mixer Panel in the Multitrack View
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...