A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question re: loom prices  (Read 1399 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« on: December 08, 2010 01:12:17 PM »

I'm wanting to get a Kromski Harp rigid heddle loom.  I've been watching ebay and craigslist and haven't seen a single one pop up.

My question is, am I better off buying one before the end of the year, or waiting until January?  I'm thinking since I have some spare cash I should buy it now, because it seems like weaving and spinning stuff never really goes on sale, and don't manufacturers often raise prices effective the first of the year?  Seems like often those price jumps are significant.

Basically, I'm needing to know whether you seasoned price-watchers know what time of year is best to grab the best price.

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WeaverDave
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010 08:40:45 AM »

Any particular reason you want a rigid heddle loom?  Even the small ones are not cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010 09:28:59 AM »

I have zero space in my house for a table or floor loom.  I want something compact and portable, that I can move with me from room to room, or bring to a cabin.  I know I could hang a rigid heddle loom on the wall while I'm not using it if I need to.  I spin my own yarn, and think weaving would be a fun new way to utilize my handspun yarn.  I have my own spinning wheel, and while doing my research for that I found that the price of wheels seems to increase substantially each year.  I'm guessing the same holds true for looms, but I'm not sure about that.  I am not particularly interested in weaving complex patterns, but would be doing more plain weave to showcase my yarns.  If I did want to do a little bit of patterning, I think what I could achieve with a pick-up stick would be enough for me.  I want something either 18" or 24" wide so I can do shawls.  

Seems like a rigid heddle loom would fit my requirements.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
francorios
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010 07:18:55 PM »

Kromski Harp is a nice little loom. You may have to wait a while to find anybody who wants to give theirs up.

I've been able to find Beka and Erica rigid heddle looms on craigslist. Not as nice, but they can be bought for about $40.

I made a lot of dish towels/placemats with peaches and cream cotton yarn.

Have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010 08:21:35 AM »

Oh, Francorios, I hadn't heard of Erica looms.  I'll check into those.

I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and buy the Kromski though, since it's what I really want.  Especially with the warping board built in on back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
francorios
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010 07:26:17 PM »

Erica is a loom that was made about 30 years ago by Northwest Manufacturing.

They work.

If you get a newer one like a Kromski Harp, you'll really enjoy the ratchet tightening system which the older Erica and Beka's do not have.

Have a Happy Christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Confuzzle
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010 04:42:31 AM »

Before going out buying, check on the Spinners' and Weavers' Housekeeping Pages. (Do a search. It should pop up.) You can spend a little time, find something you like, and get it for a really good price.

I got my loom on there - a Schacht table loom with the leg kit, shelf, and attachable tool bin - for $300. It was less than a year old.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010 08:22:26 AM »

Great advice -- thank you both!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Madonna to Launch Skincare Line in Japan
The Model Behind MD
Best Products for Highlighting, Contouring and Foundation
Fast Path to Bee-Stung Lips
Bizarre Beauty Trend: Bleach Facials
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...