A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
801 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: string or nué portrait project  (Read 1156 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wherethewild

Stitchalicious.com - funking up embroidery!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 07, 2010 01:15:38 PM »

it's been forever since I posted a finished project, mainly because it's been forever since I finished one... 2011 will be much better for stitching I hope  Cheesy This is a punked version of a goldwork technique called Or Nué - normally gold wrapped threads are couched down in straight lines and silk couched over to create a picture. It's used a lot in ecclesiastical embroidery. For this one I used a ball of string from my kitchen drawer (until I ran out and had to find some more string) because I wanted a rougher look, and I wanted to use the flowing couched lines to try and bring out the idea of lots of wrinkles and laughlines.

I couched down two different kinds of string, using matching threads just for the background and a dark brown DMC to create the outline. The two strings acted so differently when couching that it was difficult to always get even and smooth coverage. It wasn't entirely what I was trying to achieve with this technique, but I'm pretty happy with how it worked out in the end.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010 10:25:53 AM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stitchalicious - funking up embroidery

Street art and Graffiti cross stitch patterns!
lightninglacey

rock paper scissors

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010 03:12:51 PM »

I can't believe I'm the first to comment on this! It is amazing. Totally rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010 03:21:47 PM »

Absolutely wonderful! I think you've invented a completely new needlework technique. What will you call it?

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010 06:36:41 PM »

I've done traditional or nue and it's crazy tedious! I did the Unicorn in Repose from the medieval tapestries series with gold filament and silk couching thread. Took forevAr!

I like your interpretation especially the fact that you didn't do the straight lines of gold thread. It adds even more texture and depth to your piece.

Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ashley_logan
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010 08:44:02 PM »

this is absolutely beautiful! i think the wavy lines worked really well for portray the wrinkles and laugh lines and also a  sense of time passing. i also enjoy how you let the string break the border of the piece and left them unfinished - it gives the feeling that though this person is obviously aged, their time is not nearly finished. i can only imagine the time you put into it! i do think it could be improved by a different background color. the red is a bit intense for me and i noticed it before i even realized there was a face. maybe a less saturated red?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream
wherethewild

Stitchalicious.com - funking up embroidery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010 05:59:09 AM »

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like it. I'd love to claim I created a new technique but don't think I'd really get away with it... in the end it's just a bit of a corruption of a very old one and basically only couching. Maybe I can claim the kitchen-drawer string bit? Wink
A less saturated red may work better. In person it's not quite as intense as the picture appears (although still pretty bright) and the face is a bit more obvious. I used the red initially because it was the only fairly tough fabric I had around and this was just a "playing around" piece. Initially I was considering trying to plunge the string through the fabric, so I needed something strong. After dropping that idea, I tossed up a few others, eg. trimming the string to a square and then cutting a passepartout to fit it exactly and thereby hide the red. I decided in the end that I really like the extra dimension of the uneven string edges, which meant accepting the red background. If I did it again with this colour scheme (beige string and brown), I think I would also go for something a little less intense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stitchalicious - funking up embroidery

Street art and Graffiti cross stitch patterns!
Alexus1325
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010 01:35:49 PM »

Ok, that is SO freaking amazing, I *MUST* try it!!!!!

That is a major work of art, and I happen to adore the red background. It makes a really striking contrast to the rough-looking texture of the string.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GrumpasaurusRex
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010 07:54:45 AM »

This is amazing. I love the texture and I agree, leaving the edges loose gives it a wonderful free-ness.
And this is a little silly, but it reminds me of Grandmother Willow from Pocahontas because the string makes me think of the pattern of bark and wood grain on trees.  Cheesy

This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010 01:27:56 PM »

I love or nue! but I really love your twist on it! awesome Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Thicken Thin Hair | Thinning Hair and Baldness
How to Treat Scars from Old Hair Transplants
Hair Transplant Growth on Scarred or Burned Skin
How to Care for a Hair Transplant
Salon Tips: Holiday Hair Styles
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...