A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: (nintendo) messenger bag  (Read 134237 times)
Tags for this thread: nintendo , messenger_bag , tutorial , template , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

frogz
graphic artist

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2005 08:54:11 PM »

It's very long winded, and image heavy, but here's the tutorial for my nintendo bag.

Here are all the pieces needed for a basic bag:

If you want to make a Nintendo controller bag, use this template: jpeg or  vector
The grey border of the controller should be one piece and be the same width as the flap (including seam allowance) so it can be sewn to the very edge.

Start by cutting out all the pieces

For the A, B, START, SELECT, and D-Pad, sew the button to the button back first.
Like so:

*I used plain old scotch tape instead of pins or glue to hold everything in place while sewing.

Sew the grey border to the flap, then on sew all the buttons.

PIPING:
To make the piping for the flap (if youre crazy and made it like I did the first time) take the piece of the fabric you want to use that has been cut 2 x 34 and fold it over (lengthwise)  the 34 piece of cording. Pin it so it doesnt unfold. (*gasp*, vinyl and pins! But you wont see the holes anyways)

Take your piece of piping and tape it on the good side of the bottom part of your flap. The fold should be facing in towards the center.

Using BIG stitches (I had mine 4.5mm) baste (sew big stitches) the piping onto the fabric.

Now put the controller flap half on top of the flap half with the piping, good sides facing in.

Changing the stitch size to 3.5mm and sew along the stitch line you made when you basted on the piping. When its done, it should look like this:

Youll notice that I did a bad job sticking to the original line I had drawn on, but thats all right, no one will see it.

Flip the flap right side out and sew on the fasteners by hand. That is of course unless you have an uber sewing machine that can sew through many layers of vinyl AND that stuff the nylon straps that attach the fasteners. My Pfaff, as wonderful as it is, couldnt quite handle it.

Congratulations! You are now done the entire flap! Sit and amaze at its wonder.

The rest of the bag:

Start by making more piping! w00t. You need to make two more things of it, this time 38 long, but other than that, exactly the same as last time.

Baste the piping to the 4.5 x 37 piece of fabric (the one for the outside fabric, not the lining one), the fold of the piping facing in, one on each side.

If you want any pockets on the outside of your bag, now is the time to sew them on. I made a cellphone holder on mine, as well as one on the front under the flap.

Pin the bag together, good side in. Pin the other part of the fasteners in between the bottom and front (I didnt do this on the original bag, but it looks much better this way)

Sew along the stitches you made when you basted on the piping.

Turn right side out! It should look something like this:

Next you need to make the lining. To do this you sew the three lining pieces together the same way you did the outside of the bag, but without the piping, so its much easier. If you want pockets in the lining, add those before sewing the pieces together.

To make the strap you take the long piece of 4 wide fabric and fold it over like this:

If youre using vinyl and cant pin it, use paper clips and tape (they work very well)

Once the strap is done youre ready to sew it together.

Pin (doesnt matter if youre using vinyl or not) the strap to the outside of the bag but facing down (so the strap goes underneath the bag) leave about 4 inches extra on either side.

Now put the bag (with strap attached) in the lining. The lining should have its good side facing in. If your lining has a specific back, make sure that its pinned to the back of the bag.

Sew around the sides and the front but NOT THE BACK!

Flip right side out through the hole left by not sewing the back.

Feel where the strap is in the bag and sew and square with an x through it over the strap.

Put the flap in the hole and sew along the bottom of the flap (I do this twice making the seams about a centimeter apart)

Now sew along the top edge of the bag on the sides without the flap and VOILA!

Yes, I know it's not the nintendo one, but I didn't think to take photos while making that one...

EDIT: I finally fixed the links, I'm sorry that the images were unavailable for so long  Sad
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007 09:27:28 AM by frogz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Photography, microscopy, design, paintings - originals and commissions

http://spiltmartini.com/blog - portfolio and blog
http://spiltmartini.etsy.com - etsy store
.:popsi:.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005 06:07:20 AM »

excellent tutorial, thank you! i'm definately using this one at the weekend (^_^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Ezri_B
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005 08:45:50 AM »

Great tutorial. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

btlgrl
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005 09:14:42 AM »

Ah piping....  Oh how I love to hate it!!

Wonderful tute!

CJ
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emy
extra curricular activity queen

don't eat my cactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005 09:16:32 AM »

Cheesy thankyou for the tute!! thanks for explaining the piping..i've yet to tackle it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm not lazy, i'm energy efficient
frogz
graphic artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005 12:57:38 PM »

I'm glad you guys all like the tutorial  Smiley  I made it kind of late at night last night because I accidentally took daytime cold medicine too late at night (and was thus unable to sleep, so I did this)

Yes, piping is a pain, you don't know how happy I was when I discovered you could buy it premade. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frogz
graphic artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005 05:50:17 AM »

I thought I should add that if anyone makes a bag from this tutorial you should post a picture because I'd really want to see it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teriyakimoto
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005 11:32:39 AM »

thanks for the tute!  I'm definitely going to try this pattern out.  I love the nintendo version.  you rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frogz
graphic artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005 07:35:35 PM »

thanks for the tute!  I'm definitely going to try this pattern out.  I love the nintendo version.  you rock!

Yay, post a picture of it here when you're done!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

novemberlies
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005 12:34:34 PM »

i was brave. i love dinos. i love your bag. i made my own, slightly different. i used velcro instead. hope you like it. the inside is bright blue/turquise. it looks cute, but i did not want to go image heavy on you. <3 thanks so much for the tutorial, you rock!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Emo Hair
How to Treat Dandruff
How to Use a Round Brush to Curl Hair
How to Use Hair Straighteners
How to Use Heated Rollers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...