A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
764 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Project Thrive- reusable pads for girls  (Read 10985 times)
Tags for this thread: charity , recycle , reuse , menstrual_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mod35tBabe
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010 05:10:40 AM »

Well I checked it out, wrote to them and Celeste wrote back a couple of hours later. I couldn't find patterns and such that are supposed to be on the site, but I carefully went through their Facebook pages and they had some ideas in there.
Also she mentioned an International Hub where you can send your donations to a place in your own country and then it's distributed from there.
I'm so excited to start working on this - it'll feel good to be giving back Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010 10:33:49 AM »

Well I checked it out, wrote to them and Celeste wrote back a couple of hours later. I couldn't find patterns and such that are supposed to be on the site, but I carefully went through their Facebook pages and they had some ideas in there.
Also she mentioned an International Hub where you can send your donations to a place in your own country and then it's distributed from there.
I'm so excited to start working on this - it'll feel good to be giving back Smiley
The patterns are on the Days For Girls main page link... You have to open the link: Sewing Instructions. It's all there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010 05:39:22 PM »

I am going ot get involved too...( I have to say I know about this issue from Oprah) why she cant with that fortune she has do more is beyond me but I can do this!! I am going to put it out to my facebook too. I am going to put the link on my profile too! This is a TOTALLY worthy cause and these girls need our help!

I also have Kiva.org but that is me lending money to people needing help with business to help them get along. I have 500 involved there over the years I do 25 at a time and always get my money back and lend it to someone else they pay it back and lend again Smiley Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010 07:45:59 PM »

thanks you for the info and link I just found my years new project to send them kits every month for the year of 2011 and I am getting my whole group of friends in on it too.

I have a similar new year's project - I plan on sending 6 sets of these and making 6-12 toys for charity. It feels really good to be actually helping people - I can't afford money but this seems even more special than giving money anyway
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
edud

live by the sleeves of 1989

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011 12:31:12 PM »

It was great to find this thread. I have about a dozen reusable pads hanging out from a craft show where they didn't sell. Thanks for the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftettes
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011 08:56:39 PM »

i read it in bust magazine too and immediately thought about using the cause as a new project for the eco-friendly craft club at my high school. i need some help though-such as recommended fabrics and such. the club cannot spend a large amount of money so we plan on using old clothing. i need to know if there is a certain absorbent material that i have to use  for the pads though.

i would also appreciate it if someone would post a step-by-step tutorial on how to make the pads. i'm aware that there is a pdf link with instructions on the site, but i think i would feel more comfortable tackling the project once i see the procedures in detail and picture form. thanks.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011 11:27:37 PM »

i read it in bust magazine too and immediately thought about using the cause as a new project for the eco-friendly craft club at my high school. i need some help though-such as recommended fabrics and such. the club cannot spend a large amount of money so we plan on using old clothing. i need to know if there is a certain absorbent material that i have to use  for the pads though.

i would also appreciate it if someone would post a step-by-step tutorial on how to make the pads. i'm aware that there is a pdf link with instructions on the site, but i think i would feel more comfortable tackling the project once i see the procedures in detail and picture form. thanks.  Grin

Please go the link on the first post. If you open the links, there are topics to click. Project Thrive is one of them, and then you will see photos, and another link for sewing instructions. The patterns are downloadable PDF files.
  The organizers are putting kits together. The contents are very specific, and they need some consistency. The pads need to be made of cotton, and there is a waterproof material I am not familiar with yet.
  These pads are designed to have a shield and a separate folded liner, made of flannel or diaper gauze. The shields are secured to the panties with snaps or buttons.
  Since these are kits being put together, a person might consider making or providing one piece of the"puzzle", and sending a box full of that type of item.
  Even purchases of yard goods to be sent to the organizers and sewing notions are appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011 11:33:26 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftettes
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011 03:21:26 PM »

ok thanks, i'll keep that in mind. i still want the members to get to sew something because we are a craft club after all. i was planning on only using old t shirts for the outer layer of the pads (like how in the picture, there is a floral pattern). i'm sure the club members would be willing to donate materials.

also, i just wanted to say to anyone out there that you don't have to have a button on the pads if you don't have the button-snap applier thing. on the pdf, it says that you can just send the pads as they are and the organizers will apply the button
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011 09:34:50 PM »

I think the old t-shirts would work well, since they're soft and flexible.
I'm not so sure what that PUL material is, it sounds like it's a rubberized material fused to a knit backing. I haven't had a chance to start working on this yet, but I did trace off and cut out the patterns in some cotton print I have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011 05:00:33 AM »

Thanks for posting this, I will need to make some pads when I find some time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adding Transparency to a Gradient
Macromedia Flash 8 - Choosing a Gradient Overflow
Macromedia Flash 8 - Saving and Locking Gradients
Macromedia Flash 8 - Applying and Transforming Gradients
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adjusting Cap, Join and Other Stroke Properties
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...