A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Project Thrive- reusable pads for girls  (Read 11232 times)
Tags for this thread: charity , recycle , reuse , menstrual_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jnny_heck

"Behind every successful woman is herself."

View Profile WWW
« on: December 07, 2010 10:45:14 AM »

Hello, everyone.  I'm no sewer, but I read about Project Thrive in Bust magazine this month, and it would be a really great opportunity for sewers here to give a great gift. 

From the magazine: "According to UNICEF, 1 in 10 African girls skip class during their periods, and the make shift alternative to pads they use, like mattress stuffing and newspaper, cause infections.  But it is time spent out of the classroom that poses the biggest threat to these girls, setting them up for a lifetime of inequality." 

Project Thrive's "Days for Girls" is sending packages to these girls that include:

2 moisture barrier shields (wrap to panties to hold pads)
10 absorbent flannel pads (tri-fold design dries fast, all styles welcome)
1 pair of panties (Misses size 5 or 7)
1 washcloth
2 small bars of soap
2 one-gallon size Ziploc baggies for wet or soiled items
2 safety pins (to resize panties if necessary, clasp shields in case snaps fail with age)
Cloth drawstring bag to contain kit

They need donations of washable pads ( The website includes a sewing pattern!) and the other supplies as well (for we who are sewing machine incompetent) !
http://www.projectthrive.org/ >>Days for Girls

Let's get these girls back in school and feeling great about themselves!
Happy Holidays, everyone  Cheesy

-Jenny
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010 05:22:45 PM by jnny_heck » THIS ROCKS   Logged
twelvedaysold

http://twelvedaysold.blogspot.com/

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010 10:53:39 AM »

Thanks for the awareness!!!!  I have some friends who sew that I think will love to hop on board.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coraboo
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010 11:17:29 AM »

That is such a great idea!! A few sets will be my next project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amalgam
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010 12:08:54 PM »

Thanks for the links. This would be great for when I want a quick project to do. Plus, I'm helping others in the process. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010 01:29:09 PM »

Very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Songbyrd
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010 01:38:26 PM »

Wow, thank you for the info.
I would like to help and I love to sew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010 03:19:59 PM »

This is such a worthy project! I have mountains of rip-stop nylon,large scraps; that would be perfect for thier drawstring or envelope bags. I'm looking forward to using it up! (And benefitting a few girls in the process!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010 07:01:55 PM »

You've inspired me. I can't sew (...at all, I'm of the "I'm lucky if I can repair a button" variety!), so I think I'm going to see if I can team up with one of my friends who does sew and put together a few packages.  Hopefully she can take care of the sewn parts and I'll take care of the other parts and the shipping!  What a great cause!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010 07:04:08 PM by NikkiZBM » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010 10:16:25 PM »

thanks you for the info and link I just found my years new project to send them kits every month for the year of 2011 and I am getting my whole group of friends in on it too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jnny_heck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010 11:46:16 AM »

Oh my gosh  Smiley I'm so happy with the amount of response in one day!  Let's rock this  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010 02:55:10 PM »

Awesome! Thanks for posting this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whats_her_name
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010 12:25:59 PM »

I followed the link on your signature line - what an awesome cause.  I am DEFINITELY going to do this, and I'm going to add this to my signature line, too!  I also clicked "This Rocks!"

Thanks for letting us all know about this great cause.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010 03:03:27 PM »

I am definitely going to do this too. I have thier facebook link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010 03:12:11 PM »

Im jumping on board too.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jnny_heck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010 05:19:13 PM »

I'm so proud of everyone  Smiley

I followed the link on your signature line - what an awesome cause.  I am DEFINITELY going to do this, and I'm going to add this to my signature line, too!  I also clicked "This Rocks!"

Thanks for letting us all know about this great cause.

and thanks for the publicity, whats_her_name  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010 05:57:09 PM »

I posted this on facebook and a good friend of mine not only forwarded it to people she knows that sew but also wants to help me put together kits.  She cant sew but she emailed the people and asked how they felt about knitted washcloths as she is a master knitter.  They said those would be great.  So after the holidays are over, we are going to start working on this.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010 07:57:34 PM »

Knitted washcloths is a great idea! it would be even better if you have a knitting machine; they need piles of them!

As for me, the other day I made some patterns from the specs given by Days For Girls; and cut some pads out. I also took a giant overniter and traced it off for a supersized pattern. I ; being pre-menopausal, have need of such an item. So, I'll find out (Who Knows when?) how they work.
Then, I may send the sample to the charity.
I really just wanted to use up fabric I thought would be good for bags. But, had to make a few of these things.
The key here is, speed. You have to make these things fast. They need thousands and thousands of them.
  I really think the knitted washcloths are nice, but personally think they're TOO nice. And the items need to hold up. These women recieving them have nothing else. These kits are intended to last the woman a relatively long time.
  Just something to think about.
Another thing, for people who don't sew, would be to purchase certain items and ship them to the headquarters. Those things are: cotton panties, womens sizes 5 and 7; gallon size zip-lock bags, bars of soap, large baby-type safety pins, washcloths, large snaps, wide twill tape, thread, and fabric, including flannel, and PUL.That's the waterproof stuff.
(Although I've never seen the stuff!) Fat Quarters, and diaper-gauze, even large light-colored towels to cut up. Velcro.
This is a suggestion for those non-sewing persons who want to help.
The staff at headquarters will assemble the kits for the ladies.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010 08:00:08 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CandyHillCreations
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010 11:14:40 AM »

thanks for sharing what we sewing handicapped can do to help...i was just thinking about how i could get involved even though i can't sew to save my life. awesome...thanks bunches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010 06:35:11 PM »

You're welcome! I forgot to add, small, compact sewing kits, needlebooks would be a great idea. The recipients would treasure them. But, shipping costs/weights are important. It might be tempting to send beautiful , large sewing kits,and other supplies, but someone has to export everything. Anyone thinking about these things should write or call the organizers of the charity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mod35tBabe
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010 05:10:31 PM »

That sounds like a great idea - I will have to check it out Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010 05:10:40 AM »

Well I checked it out, wrote to them and Celeste wrote back a couple of hours later. I couldn't find patterns and such that are supposed to be on the site, but I carefully went through their Facebook pages and they had some ideas in there.
Also she mentioned an International Hub where you can send your donations to a place in your own country and then it's distributed from there.
I'm so excited to start working on this - it'll feel good to be giving back Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010 10:33:49 AM »

Well I checked it out, wrote to them and Celeste wrote back a couple of hours later. I couldn't find patterns and such that are supposed to be on the site, but I carefully went through their Facebook pages and they had some ideas in there.
Also she mentioned an International Hub where you can send your donations to a place in your own country and then it's distributed from there.
I'm so excited to start working on this - it'll feel good to be giving back Smiley
The patterns are on the Days For Girls main page link... You have to open the link: Sewing Instructions. It's all there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010 05:39:22 PM »

I am going ot get involved too...( I have to say I know about this issue from Oprah) why she cant with that fortune she has do more is beyond me but I can do this!! I am going to put it out to my facebook too. I am going to put the link on my profile too! This is a TOTALLY worthy cause and these girls need our help!

I also have Kiva.org but that is me lending money to people needing help with business to help them get along. I have 500 involved there over the years I do 25 at a time and always get my money back and lend it to someone else they pay it back and lend again Smiley Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010 07:45:59 PM »

thanks you for the info and link I just found my years new project to send them kits every month for the year of 2011 and I am getting my whole group of friends in on it too.

I have a similar new year's project - I plan on sending 6 sets of these and making 6-12 toys for charity. It feels really good to be actually helping people - I can't afford money but this seems even more special than giving money anyway
THIS ROCKS   Logged

41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

edud

live by the sleeves of 1989

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011 12:31:12 PM »

It was great to find this thread. I have about a dozen reusable pads hanging out from a craft show where they didn't sell. Thanks for the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftettes
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011 08:56:39 PM »

i read it in bust magazine too and immediately thought about using the cause as a new project for the eco-friendly craft club at my high school. i need some help though-such as recommended fabrics and such. the club cannot spend a large amount of money so we plan on using old clothing. i need to know if there is a certain absorbent material that i have to use  for the pads though.

i would also appreciate it if someone would post a step-by-step tutorial on how to make the pads. i'm aware that there is a pdf link with instructions on the site, but i think i would feel more comfortable tackling the project once i see the procedures in detail and picture form. thanks.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011 11:27:37 PM »

i read it in bust magazine too and immediately thought about using the cause as a new project for the eco-friendly craft club at my high school. i need some help though-such as recommended fabrics and such. the club cannot spend a large amount of money so we plan on using old clothing. i need to know if there is a certain absorbent material that i have to use  for the pads though.

i would also appreciate it if someone would post a step-by-step tutorial on how to make the pads. i'm aware that there is a pdf link with instructions on the site, but i think i would feel more comfortable tackling the project once i see the procedures in detail and picture form. thanks.  Grin

Please go the link on the first post. If you open the links, there are topics to click. Project Thrive is one of them, and then you will see photos, and another link for sewing instructions. The patterns are downloadable PDF files.
  The organizers are putting kits together. The contents are very specific, and they need some consistency. The pads need to be made of cotton, and there is a waterproof material I am not familiar with yet.
  These pads are designed to have a shield and a separate folded liner, made of flannel or diaper gauze. The shields are secured to the panties with snaps or buttons.
  Since these are kits being put together, a person might consider making or providing one piece of the"puzzle", and sending a box full of that type of item.
  Even purchases of yard goods to be sent to the organizers and sewing notions are appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011 11:33:26 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftettes
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011 03:21:26 PM »

ok thanks, i'll keep that in mind. i still want the members to get to sew something because we are a craft club after all. i was planning on only using old t shirts for the outer layer of the pads (like how in the picture, there is a floral pattern). i'm sure the club members would be willing to donate materials.

also, i just wanted to say to anyone out there that you don't have to have a button on the pads if you don't have the button-snap applier thing. on the pdf, it says that you can just send the pads as they are and the organizers will apply the button
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011 09:34:50 PM »

I think the old t-shirts would work well, since they're soft and flexible.
I'm not so sure what that PUL material is, it sounds like it's a rubberized material fused to a knit backing. I haven't had a chance to start working on this yet, but I did trace off and cut out the patterns in some cotton print I have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011 05:00:33 AM »

Thanks for posting this, I will need to make some pads when I find some time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
edud

live by the sleeves of 1989

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011 02:40:27 PM »

Flannel and terry are both good materials to use - that's what I make my pads out of. You may wish to contact the organizers to make sure recycled materials are okay for the pads.

The other option is that you could make the bags to hold the kits in your sewing club. They could be made out of any material (including recycled clothing) - I emailed Celeste about the sizing, I can't recall for certain but I think she said that 9"x 11" is a good size. They need bags for the kits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaa76
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2011 08:34:23 PM »

I JUST found this site and signed up just because I have to say how AWESOME this is!!!!!! I'm not a sewer, but I will pass on the info to people who are. BRILLIANT!  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MINDLE83
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2011 01:18:06 PM »

wow I didn't even know this was possible
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiecat1023
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011 11:08:20 AM »

This is awesome! I'll be passing it on! Thanks for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nocturnica
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011 08:06:33 PM »

I would love to help with this, but I can't find the info on the site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beunruffled
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2011 07:56:52 PM »

I think this is so wonderful!!! I have a heart for crafting for charity, and this seems to be right up my ally! Thanks for posting this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

XoXo, Suzy

Check out my blog
http://beunruffled.blogspot.com
plaidpineapple
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2011 08:31:24 PM »

I have been making liners and bags for this Charity for a couple of years and have met the founder.  This is an amazing group of women who help with this . 
It really does impact women, providing opportunities that I take for granted.  I highly recommend checking out Days For Girls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WhimsicallyObsessed
msg me if you're interested in a private swap! ^_^

comp died. having a hard time on craftster w/ cell

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012 11:19:14 AM »

This is an awesome idea! I think I am going to go through my fabrics and everything once I get my storage situation fixed and can actually get into my fabric bins! Thank you for sharing this charity! I have been putting a lot of thought into using crafts in order to give back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trying to get back into the swing of things. Trying to move forward and make big changes in my life come join me on my journey if you like!
starlore
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2012 11:31:12 PM »

Awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shock
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2012 02:31:11 PM »

Thanks so much for sharing this! It was the perfect use for leftover PUL scraps from making diapers! I just sent out a package to Days for Girls and plan to make more when I have more scraps to use up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2012 04:01:19 PM »

This is so wonderful.  And the projects are easy and sew up fast.  Thanks for sharing this!  Go vote for them if you haven't, and like them on Facebook, too!  http://www.facebook.com/DaysforGirls
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
MissI3atman

I'm just dandy.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2012 08:07:30 PM »

I'm on board!  I can't wait for all of the holiday stuff to be out of the house so I have room to work again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparrowowl
Tutorial Contributor

shiny!

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2013 01:12:23 PM »

This is such a cool idea and I am on board!!  I already make some many panties, a nice dishcloth will be an easy thing to make, and the pads look simple.

I usually only make things with elastic lace, is that going to be considered too sexy, if it's just plain white?  It's so much comfier than FOE, I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftsunderground
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014 07:12:39 AM »

I just suggested a swap for items that make up the kits, shield, liners, totes, washcloths, and panties. Please check out the New Swap Ideas board if you are still interested in crafting for these girls. This swap can include those who sew, knit, and crochet. Please check it out and comment with your ideas on how to make this swap a success. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use RGB Color Channels in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Channels in Color in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With Channels Panel in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use Adobe Photoshop CS3 Channels and Masking
How to Select the Content of the Layer in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...