A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Duvet cover closure question.  (Read 1133 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beanblossom
« on: December 07, 2010 07:56:15 AM »

I am sewing a duvet cover for my bedspread.  I originally was going to do a zipper closure, but I have had trouble finding a long enough zipper. Does anyone know a place online that has nice, long zippers? I don't want to do buttons because I've had a duvet cover with buttons before and they just came undone all the time.  I'm considering using snaps, which I have never sewn on before.  Which snaps have you found to be more durable? The sew on snaps or the snap fastener kits?
Thanks you for any suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you live each day of your life. -Jonathan Swift
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010 02:11:05 PM »

I have vintage Barbie clothes stashed at my parent's place that were hand-made with little metal sew-on snaps as the closures. They survived play by the first owner, possibly a second owner, and then me Tongue I hesitate to have that kind of confidence in plastic snaps. I've seen metal sew-on snaps up to a centimetre wide at Fabricland. There are metal snap kits for coats and such, but they're much more expensive than the plastic kits (and probably worth the money). I've also seen "duvet zippers" at Fabricland that were like 72 inches long or something, but at $20 per zipper, I kinda cringed.

Do you have a heavy-duty sewing business in your town? I mean a place that makes boat covers and awnings, does re-upholstery of furniture, recovers snowmobile and motorcycle seats, etc. They would have zipper rolls and can install a zipper at any length for a reasonable cost (just call and ask how much it'd be for a particular length). The shop I lived above only had black zipper rolls, though.

Best of luck Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beanblossom
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010 10:40:02 AM »

Thanks Alexus, that was helpful advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady.lin
Costume Queen

Break the rules, not your tools.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010 08:05:04 PM »

I've found http://stanssewingsupplies.com/  to be a great place to buy zipper coil, pulls, etc. for custom-length zippers, and have used their zips for duvet closures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caraces
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010 07:10:11 PM »

I had the same question! Buttons just don't do it for me but I wonder if the cold zipper might bug my legs at night... I might try the snap idea...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beanblossom
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011 05:55:05 AM »

While at my parents house over the holiday my mom found a long zipper in her stash.  So I'm going to sew the zipper on.  I appreciate all the help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Custom Christmas Tree Skirt
Sewing Basics with Pins and Needles
Customized Bulletin Board How-To
How to Make a Paper Carnation Flower
DIY Craft Trays for Cars
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...