A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Irish Wolfhound Portrait for Denis Leary  (Read 7852 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_portrait , dog , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ericav
« on: December 07, 2010 06:53:08 AM »

(close up of the portrait.)

Hey Crafters! I'm still freaking out a bit over this one. I barely slept last night and my stomach is still doing flips! I'm a pretty big Denis Leary fan. One of my favorite movies is The Ref (actually it's my family's holiday movie). I love Rescue Me too and have been following Denis Leary's standup for quite some time.

So there's a local bookstore that does book signings. I freaked out when I missed the opportunity a while back for one of his other books. On Sunday night, I saw that he was going to do a book signing for his new book the next day. I freaked and told the husband what where we were going (he's also a fan).

So I decided to take it a step further and draw an Irish Wolfhound for him. He has a love for the breed (which is one of the reason why I love him). He used to have 5 and one of them was even on Rescue Me. The one that was on Rescue Me, Clancy, passed away and I was trying to find a picture. His website had a little picture. I did find a video of his roast with Clancy in and that was helpful to find the right coloring. I worked on the portrait from 10am-4pm, scanned it, and then framed it. I wished I had a little bit longer to work on it because I see some things that I could have planned better with the drawing, but I think I like it. (Yeah, I'm a bit critical of my work. It's an 8x10 pastels on velour)

We get to the book signing and I start getting nervous. We had on layers of clothes because we assumed we would be on line outside (which is why we're pink in the picture). We got there early and waited around an hour inside. However, since I was nervous and over heating I was worried I was going to faint or throw up on Mr. Leary. Thankfully, that didn't happen, because I was able to get my breathing under control! When I gave him the portrait I think I said something like "Hi Mr. Leary, I know how much you like Irish Wolfhounds so I made you this. I tried to find a picture of Clancy so I could get the coloring right." He said "Oh Wow! Do I get to keep it? It looks really close to Clancy!" Then I handed him my card and said if he ever wanted anything else I would be very happy to make him something. I'm not sure if I should have given him my card, but I figured I might as well, but it was really awkward. I hope he did like it and wasn't just being nice. It would kind suck if it ended up in the dumpster at the bookstore. I guess that's the risk I was willing to take!

Anyway, he posed with a picture with us and the portrait, which made me SO HAPPY! I think it was one of the highlights of my life!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010 07:54:24 AM by ericav » THIS ROCKS   Logged

glambastard
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010 07:09:51 AM »

wow. it looks amazing! you don't need to be so critical of yourself, you do great work!
Congrats on such an awesome story, you look so happy!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, I currently need art (paintings or something to hang on a wall) but I'd be up for anything.
ericav
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010 07:15:11 AM »

Thanks glambastard, I really could have started to cry I was so happy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thisbirdsabsurd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010 07:22:42 AM »

In the dumpster???  NO WAY!!!!!  That is an absolutely beautiful portrait - you are so amazing!  What a great opportunity to be able to give it to him in person, I'm sure he loved it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
Aquila
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010 07:40:36 AM »

wow I am in awe! This picture is absolutely stunning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ericav
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010 07:43:59 AM »

Thanks thisbirdsabsurd and piinkfeline!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010 08:08:31 AM »

Gorgeous!

End up in the bin? Pffttt! No way! It's really lovely Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ericav
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010 09:00:11 AM »

Thanks Knickertwist!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDiem
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010 09:37:19 AM »

That's amazing!  I feel like your love of the dogs really came through in the artwork.  I love the pic of you with hubby and Denis!  That is SUCH a great smile!!!!  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
morrigan_le_faye
Come to the dark side - we have cookies....

currently obsessed with fibres! :D

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010 01:26:29 PM »

This.. Is.. AMAZING!!! Shocked Wonderfull work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simon Mole Performs His Poem "Making Bread"
How to Make a Crossword Puzzle
The Encyclopedia Paranoiaca Explains Why Your Bathroom Can Kill You
How to Analyze a Poem
How to Interpret Handwriting
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...