A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Favorite is Being Discontinued! What's Your Go-To Brand?  (Read 2653 times)
Tags for this thread: studio_by_sculpey  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

applesweet
Darling

Banana-Headed Thing

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2010 06:55:57 PM »

I LOVED Studio Sculpey. It was rich, soft, easy to work with, the colors stayed vivid after baking and the color selection was absolutely gorgeous. I went into Hobby Lobby today and was heartbroken to see they had none. I assumed they just stopped carrying it, hoping for the best, but later when I checked the Sculpey website, sure enough they aren't making it anymore  Cry Cry

So I'm in the market for a new brand and I figured I'd ask: What's your favorite kind of clay? Where do you buy it from? Why do you love it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aethelberga
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010 07:10:20 PM »

I had never heard of this particular strain of Sculpey until I managed to find some discontinued when I was cross-border shopping at Joann's. I wasn't overly fond of the colours, but the texture is fabulous, satiny & not at all sticky.
I tend to mix my brands together (I know - I'll go to polymer clay hell for that) to achieve a texture and or colour I like. Generally I mix Kato Clay & Sculpey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crymson
I am the Lazy Druid.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010 08:08:22 PM »

I'm particularly fond of FIMO. Comes in smaller chunks and a bunch of colors. Pretty easy to work with as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010 08:35:10 PM »

I love Sculpey Premo because it is so soft and easy to work with, and comes in some absolutely gorgeous shades. I hope you find a new brand that you like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blitherypoop
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010 04:36:49 AM »

I use Fimo, Classic and Soft.  Not terribly sticky, but also not too soft.  I make dollhouse scale stuff, so texture is important.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010 09:01:47 AM »

I use different brands and lines of polymer clay --sometimes mixed together-- depending on what I'm making (how strong or detailed, etc, it needs to be) and what I have around the house (a lot of old clay).

In really hot weather especially or if I had hot hands, I'd probably go for one of the firmest clays though (Kato Polyclay and FimoClassic) or at least a blend of one of them with something else, since they're the "best" for nice handling, fine detail, etc.

I guess my "regular" clay has been Premo in the past (soft enough for my hand/arm problems but still very good), but not sure about it now after all the clays had their latest reformulations.  I'd probably mostly go for Kato these days especially if Premo weren't good enough, and Donna sells it pretty cheap at her site which is another benefit.

I haven't tried the newest Cernit, but would be open to it for its vibrant and somewhat-translucent colors (or I'd add a bit of white to opaque the colors).  
Cernit and Premo are somewhat heat senstitive, but I don't have hot hands and know not to work-and-work my clay without cooling it

The only times I've tried using FimoSoft have been disasters.  Don't know if I got a bunch of bad bars, but the stuff was just not "nice" to handle the way I'm used to, some of the colors came off everywhere, and I just couldn't make it behave the way I'm used to polymer clay behaving.  It's also not as strong in thin areas as Kato, FimoClassic, Premo and Cernit.

As for the Sculpeys (the Polyform clays), I have a bunch of leftovers of Sculpey III (mostly from long ago) and have used it for certain things (just not things that required strength in thin or projecting areas unless mixed with other brands/lines).  It's very soft and can't get the fine detail I want for some things, and distorts and gets fingerprints more easily.
Translucent-flesh-colored SuperSculpey (boxed) I do have around as my "bulk" clay for making all kinds of things I don't want to waste "colors" on...sometimes just samples, sometimes also to clean my pasta machine, etc.  I also use SS to make molds from (but often tint batches of it with colored clays a bit so I can keep the categories of my molds easily recognizable in their boxes --e.g., green for faces and humans, burgundy for animals, blue for geometrics, purple for plants, etc.).
I also have original plain (boxed) Sculpey around (in white), because there are a few ways I can use it too on occasion even with it's extreme brittleness in thin areas (even worse than the other 2) like bead cores and other armatures, for kids to play with without using up too much regular clay (can easily be tinted with oil paints if they want), or in one case to make "dividers" in a shallow box lid, etc.  And of course, it's cheaper by volume than any other polymer clay and can even be purchased in larger amounts (5 lbs, 25 lbs, etc). (When sold in art supply stores, it's called Polyform clay.)
The softer clays like these Sculpeys can also be used as softener mix-ins for my harder and/or older clays.

I may also use or prefer certain brands for my translucents, glow-in-the-darks, the mica-containing metallic clays, "stone" colors, and some other specialty "colors" because they're better, or because they're not offered by the other brands.

I hadn't realized that the Studio by Sculpey line was being discontinued, but it was created for Donna Dewberry's classe$ in making "items for the home" which I guess never went anywhere especially in this economy, and also had some problems (didn't stick well to itself or to glass/metal, no saturated or dark or translucent or special colors, can get sticky with handling, etc).

They also may have decided to put their energy into their new line Bake Shop Clay (or CraftSmart clay when sold by Michaels.)  That's being targeted even more than their other clays to kids... very very soft (so distorts/etc), can be sticky, only a few colors...but cheaper than the better brands of polymer clay.
They also put out Pluffy recently, a "foamy" feeling clay that's probably their Ultralight polymer clay line but in colors instead of white.

BTW, I should also mention Polyform's SuperSculpey-Firm --especially for sculptors who just like to paint over their clay-- which is supposed to be very good and not brittle, but comes only in gray and in larger packets.

Diane B.
http://glassattic.com/polymer/Characteristics.htm

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010 08:52:54 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Blitherypoop
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010 05:20:29 AM »

Bakeshop is HORRIBLE.  I bought some to use as scrap when I was starting out.  It's sticky, crumbly... awful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ForesakenFaerie
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011 02:38:49 PM »

I have never used Studio Sculpey. I have seen it so many times at Dick Blick when I shop but never brought it. I mostly stick to Super Sculpey, Scupley III and recently have been using Premo and Fimo Classic/Effect. It's always sad when certain products become discontinued. I hope you find a better substitute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011 06:24:47 PM »

. . . recently have been using Premo and Fimo Classic/Effect . . .

Not sure what your slash meant Huh, but the newest versions of the "special colors" in the Fimo brand have recently been labeled just "Effects" even though I'm pretty sure for a long time most all the special colors put out by Fimo have been versions of FimoSoft.  I don't know for sure what the formulations for those colors are since Staedtler took over recently from Eberhard Faber though.  Too bad too since the old Fimo (now called Fimo Classic) had some great special colors that handled wonderfully well!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011 06:28:17 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
ForesakenFaerie
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011 03:14:52 PM »

. . . recently have been using Premo and Fimo Classic/Effect . . .

Not sure what your slash meant Huh, but the newest versions of the "special colors" in the Fimo brand have recently been labeled just "Effects" even though I'm pretty sure for a long time most all the special colors put out by Fimo have been versions of FimoSoft.  I don't know for sure what the formulations for those colors are since Staedtler took over recently from Eberhard Faber though.  Too bad too since the old Fimo (now called Fimo Classic) had some great special colors that handled wonderfully well!

The FIMO Effects are colors but they're Translucent, Glitter or Metallic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Warm Dry Polymer Clay
How to Wrap and Reduce a Butterfly Polymer Clay Cane
How to Change Color Without Knots LH
How to Change Color Without Knots RH
How to Cast Off and Hide Loose Ends LH
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...