A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glittery animals  (Read 3403 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

imera
« on: December 05, 2010 05:33:36 PM »

I'm tired and sleepy, working on this project for four days (which is as long as I have known about this months contest) Just came back today and had to finish it before I'll go to bed, it's not fun not to have any time.

I hope you guys like it, it's the Christmas animals.

If you want to know how I made them keep on reading, if not scroll down to the pictures.
I blew up the silhouette, the elephant ended up on a A3 paper, the same with the giraffe and the long arm/tentacle to the octopus. Then I traced them over on cardboard paper, and cut them out. I then found some gift paper and tried to decoupage them on, which I can't seem to get right every time I try, need to read some tutorials maybe. As soon as they had dried I applied glitter on them; except for the octopus and giraffe I traced the images of the gift paper. Then I made a few bows and added them on the squirrel and giraffe. That is about it, I know the glitter doesn't show that well but they are shinning like the stars outside my window right now.

Elephant: It's 33 cm (13") wide and 28 cm (11") tall
The gift paper is my favourite, blue snowy town, but the elephant doesn't beat my favourite animal I made, the giraffe.

Giraffe: It's 48 cm (18.9") tall and 11 cm (4.3") wide
My favourite one, even without the bow, I love the angel paper but my favourite part was the spots on it.

Squirrel: It's 22 cm (8.7") wide and 18 cm (7.1") tall
Because the images were big and with a person it was difficult to add glitter, but I think I managed.

Octopus: It's 26 cm (10.2") tall and 44 cm (17.3") wide
I added the glitter today, it only had a few hours to dry before it had to go through a short photo session. The paper is only stripes so I had to add the circles, which I didn't quite like, but it's too late to change it now.

Koala: It's 19 cm (7.5") tall and 15 cm (5.9") wide
The cutest one I think, managed to get the wreath around its nose, and had no idea the bow was resting against his ear. I love glittering up the trees and wreaths, it was so much fun.

I hope you guys like it even if it's not perfect, I might have done something different if I had read the post before the first December.

All the animals will now be placed around in my sisters naked bedroom walls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010 05:57:27 PM »

this is super cute! I love that you made them larger!

I had problems decoupaging on cardboard as well, but you can't tell in your pics. Mine kept lifting from the edges. Did you have a difficult time cutting the details from the cardboard on these, like on the octopus? It looks like it cut great for you, and am wondering your secret!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imera
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010 11:58:21 PM »

It looks like it cut great for you, and am wondering your secret!

Aw, thank you. If you wish I'll make a short show and tell Smiley I could just write it but I learn easier by seeing, and anyway, I wanted to try it out again.

And about the decoupage, it's not that thick cardboard, and when I think about it it's similar to construction paper, it was something I didn't throw away. But my problem with decoupage is that the paper doesn't stretch out when it dries.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010 04:49:51 AM »

They are very cute, all of them. I like the Elephant best - there is a kind of "dream" quality about him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fried Rice
Make This Stir-Fry With Leftover Chicken
Make Coconut Shrimp Soup With Ramen
How to Make Cheesy Ramen Noodles
Pretend-Perfect Pad Thai
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...