A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Greetings from Mexico  (Read 4000 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Suwalo
Oh my, there's a tiny boat in my teacup!

Think outside that lumpy oval of a head... what?!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2010 01:26:49 PM »

Hello! I'm new here to craftster and this is my first project post. Smiley

I chose the Mommy and Me Paper Shoes and the Keepsake Paper box templates. Being as I love the Day of the Dead I knew I was going to craft something about that holiday, and it took me a bit of time and some brain cramps to finally get this idea off the ground. Seeing as how I'm always sad when said holiday is over I decided to craft a little piece of it that I can have all year round. Cheesy

The box template reminded me of a mail package, so I just went with that. The box is made from two toned cardstock that when ripped or sanded shows the bottom color so I sanded the front of the box to make the door. The little tag also uses the cardstock, but I carved the letters and ripped the edges instead of sanding them. After cutting my flowers I had left over bits and pieces that looked like flower petals that I used for the traditional "path" laid out for the souls so they know where to go.
...and here's what burst from inside it. Wink

It's a tiny home with a Day of the Dead altar and one very happy soul. Grin (I will apologize now for the bad lighting... I'm sorry!  Cry)
I wanted my flowers to look more like marigolds, the Day of the Dead flower, but I only had red and yellow tissue paper when I needed orange. So like a good crafter... I made my own. Smiley I held two pieces of red and yellow tissue paper together and gave them a glue and water bath. I was hoping they would magically melt together to make orange but sadly, no, that did not happen. What I did end up with was a pretty piece of two tone paper that when hit with the light tinged the yellow with a little bit of red. I cut the flowers from this paper, curling the petals up and out and rounded off the edges to make them look like marigolds. All in all I made four flowers varying in size from 3/4 in. to 1 1/4 in.
The altar was made from cardstock using an altered origami bench diagram. This is supposed to represent the traditional altar that is placed in one's home to offer up the soul's favorite foods (this little guy's favorites are the cupcakes). Wink

Its food stuffs were taken from old magazines, cut out and glued to the table.

This guy was by far the most time consuming. He is made from felt that was either felted (head, legs, ribcage, pelvis and eyes) or sewn (arms, feet and hat) together. Also, the tiny details on his face and hands were embroidered and just for the fun of it I ran an invisible thread through his arm and leg bones so he's fully posable. He measures just under 4 3/4 in. and has wire to reinforce his leg bones and spine.

Here are some detail photos of the inside.
The banner says "Happy Day of the Dead" in Spanish. The letters were sewn on tiny scraps of fabric measuring about 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 cm.

I tried to take a picture that showed how pretty the tissue paper window looked with light streaming through it but this is as close as I could get.  Undecided On the inside I have the moon showing through and on the front it's that cute pink stamp. Wink

Detail of the door from the inside with the marigold "trail" leading to the altar.

Ok, I'll stop bombarding you with pictures... and leave you with one last picture. Tongue

My little catrina bear isn't actually included in this post or this contest but my little skeleton looked so lonely without a buddy. Smiley
I had a blast making this and hope you guys enjoyed seeing it. Comments and critiques are totally welcome.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010 04:25:31 PM by Suwalo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

| Flickr | Blog |
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010 01:36:04 PM »

very cool and very tiny! really nice work, I love all the details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Suwalo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010 04:55:09 PM »

Thank you very much hgddm. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

| Flickr | Blog |
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010 04:57:52 PM »

Wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010 09:13:39 PM »

Awesome! Love all the detail!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluesea777
live2craft

addicted to Art Journaling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010 05:09:55 PM »

This is sooo cute  Roll Eyes I could never do anything so tiny. I especially love the skeleton!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life without crafting would be like living in the dark.
Suwalo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010 07:01:44 PM »

Thank you, everyone! The skeleton is my favorite part too... even though I almost went crazy crafting him. haha. That darn ribcage is so delicate. :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

| Flickr | Blog |
xxjenadanxx
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010 11:53:48 PM »

This is so cute! Now I want a dia de los muertos doll house. oh yes i do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Delicious BBQ Sauce
Cranberry and Herb Turkey Burger Recipe
Express Shrimp and Sausage Jambalaya Recipe
California Hamburger Recipe
Inside Out Cheeseburger Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...