A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,738
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift for a Long Distance Friend  (Read 2094 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ixelrae
« on: December 05, 2010 11:50:15 AM »

So, my BFF and I now to go college about 4 hours apart. This Christmas we will both be getting together for Christmas break, and we will do our usual exchange of handmade gifts... but I do not have a lot of time, and I have no idea what to make her. She is an early childhood/special education major, likes doing crafts, loves to read, and just decided to do a double major in philosophy (which I can't really relate to, so would have no idea how to incorporate any philosophy stuff in- I do know she is not a Plato fan, though?). Her favorite book is Wuthering Heights (which I borrowed and destroyed so I am getting her a nicer version of that book), but other than that, I'm lost. Thought maybe some bookmarks and a picture frame too, but I have already given her lots of them over the years. I know how to knit, but I already have a lot of knitting projects going, and am up for learning almost anything (except crocheting). I also need it to be really cheap. I know this is a lot to ask for, but any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010 01:46:55 PM »

You are a very thoughtful friend!  How about a journal with a special note from you written inside to start it off?  A special pen, either bought or one that you made a cover for (I think it's done out of clay)?  How about a cover for the new 'Wuthering Heights' book you are buying her?  My BFF just got me the coolest, most thoughtful gift...she went to the dollar store and got like 15 small items that were perfectly suited to me and put them in a photo holder box that was my favorite color and she called it my "Happy Box"!  She said to take out one thing when I was sad or having a rough day and I have to tell you, that is one of the niftiest gifts I've ever gotten!  Good luck!  (P.S.  I am a special ed. teacher too, and anything I can use for the classroom is ALWAYS welcome as well.)  Oh, and how about holiday ornament (s)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ixelrae
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010 12:05:56 PM »

Thanks for the great ides! I love the Happy Box idea, especially because sometimes she gets lonely so far from home.  I have already gotten her a journal in past years, but I never though about the pen, and just today I found some embroidered ornaments she might like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chrmisha

"I always wanted to use that spell"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011 11:15:04 AM »

Further to this, you could have little slips of paper with inspirational notes on it, and little pieces of chocolate in their too, that she could read and get comfort from when you are apart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Writing Nature in the Age of Science
A Glimpse of Hollywood Past and Present with Harriet Evans
The Gift In Failure
Author Sarah Lewis LIVE
Tapping Into the Creative Culture of East LA
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...