A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,908
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 549
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50 projects in 2011-CLOSED  (Read 562926 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skittlebub
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2710 on: March 22, 2011 05:16:01 PM »

skittlebub--your "firsts" are rocking this board!  I love the little clay creatures and your stuffies! (and of course they qualify as learning something new!)...

Fabric bandaids?  Are they just for one time? I am curious as I am allergic to latex and the adhesives on most regular bandaids...glue dots don't hurt?

The bandaids are just fabric covered. The fabric is glued to the back of the bandaid & then cut out.

rackycoo I love the tin, it's sew ( Roll Eyes get it? I make myself laugh.) cute

A2JC4life I need that sewing organiser, very well done

v3nu5 great work on the underwear. I've been meaning to try that too but haven't got around to it yet. The jewellery & hair clips are awesome too

Always
- maybe I should try those scarves, I'm always dropping stitches. So they should be easy right? LOL

korok I really like the toddler backpack
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 things 2013

I have a new postal address. PM me if you need it - 3/16/12
Lillianpearl

Jack of all trades...master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2711 on: March 22, 2011 05:32:58 PM »

I posted this over at the destash craftalong thread, I was going to keep from posting here until it was finished. But now I need help.
I made a drop spindle out of a chopstick, coconut and clay. But I left it sitting on my bed, came back 10 minutes later and an unknown force [IE: big cat or small dog] decided to use it as a soccer ball on hardwood and cracked the clay holding the pieces together.

[Totally counts towards March themes! Trying two new things: drop spindle and newspaper yarn!]

Anyone have an idea to attach the two pieces that is less fragile? I've got some ideas, but figured I'd post the projects before I forgot completely and missed the March theme!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2712 on: March 22, 2011 06:25:38 PM »

I guess you could use E6000, or maybe some liquid sculpy to put the pieces back together? I really have no other ideas on how to fix the cracked polymer, but you could try using washers/nuts & bolts laying about the house to try and keep the chop stick from falling out of the coconut.

Btw Lillianpearl, I have to say your idea to use a coconut and a chopstick to create newspaper yarn is marvelous! I tried making my own spindle with old cd's ans a dowel but I couldn't get the stick to stay on the cds. I want to see what you do with the paper yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #2713 on: March 22, 2011 07:27:42 PM »

I tried making my own spindle with old cd's ans a dowel but I couldn't get the stick to stay on the cds.

I made one for my sister a couple years ago, using instructions I found online.  They called for using a rubber washer.  I think I have a couple left; I can probably take a picture once I dig them out - or maybe even send them to you.  The inner rings of the CD "pop" into a groove in the washer and then the rubber holds it onto the dowel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skittlebub

« Reply #2714 on: March 23, 2011 01:15:58 AM »

33. 2 x dummy clips. One's for a friends baby & one for mine. 23/3/11

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 things 2013

I have a new postal address. PM me if you need it - 3/16/12
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2715 on: March 23, 2011 02:50:15 AM »

I tried making my own spindle with old cd's ans a dowel but I couldn't get the stick to stay on the cds.
I made one for my sister a couple years ago, using instructions I found online.  They called for using a rubber washer.  I think I have a couple left; I can probably take a picture once I dig them out - or maybe even send them to you.  The inner rings of the CD "pop" into a groove in the washer and then the rubber holds it onto the dowel.
I think I used some of those rubber thinga-magijers, but I got the wrong ones and going back and forth to HomeDepot 3x's made me discouraged. A picture would be splendid! Hey those might even help Lillian with her coconut spindle problem! I might think better late nightTongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2716 on: March 23, 2011 03:14:59 AM »

Lillian, what a great idea and clever way to use a coconut!

On Saturday (the day of the "super moon,") I finally got to strain out the tinctures that I started over six weeks ago.

The full jar is calendula and the other is yarrow.  What are they used for, you ask? Cheesy  Calendula is primarily known for its anti-inflammatory effects.  You can spray it on cuts, bruises, wounds, etc.  I'm going to keep a small spray bottle ready for my yet-to-be-created "boo boo" kit (once my son starts walking around).  The rest will be bottled and shared with friends and family.

Yarrow is mostly used as an immune booster and helps with fevers.  I'm going to rebottle this in a dark glass bottle and store away for the next time I start feeling under the weather.  Since 5 ounces of a tincture is a LOT, I think I can also safely share with friends and family, too.

Tinctures are really expensive to purchase in a store.  (The ones I've purchased before were easily $10-15/ounce.)  With just a little bit of passive time invested, I've made 16 ounces of calendula tincture (easily saving me over $120!) and about 5 ounces of yarrow tincture (saving me over $50).  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #2717 on: March 23, 2011 06:37:51 AM »

lapoli--do they go bad or do you have to store them in any special way?  I had no idea they were so expensive...and probably not as potent as the ones you make yourself...wonderful and interesting projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2718 on: March 23, 2011 06:40:09 AM »

Well, they main ingredient is alcohol so I imagine they'd keep for a really long time.  I'm going to transfer them into dark glass bottles to keep them from being ruined by sunlight, but I think they'd last for several years, at least!  

I'm working on writing up instructions for the Bath/Beauty board since I think there are people on those boards that could use them for their natural bath products. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011 06:57:43 AM by lapoli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #2719 on: March 23, 2011 06:43:08 AM »

I see--yes, alcohol would act as the preservative!  I can't wait to see them on the BB boards...I grow lots of herbs and flowers and would love to learn more ways to use them other as potpourri and decorations
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 549 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Victoria Beckham Hair
How to Grow Out Your Hair
How to Get Rid of Frizzy Hair
New Hairstyle: The Pixie Crop
Funky 50s Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...