A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,365
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 549
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50 projects in 2011-CLOSED  (Read 621840 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2830 on: March 26, 2011 05:32:47 AM »

I had to look up "PUL" yesterday when it was first mentioned and was duly impressed at all the cute diaper fabrics using it!

I'm not sure about what to use in snack bags, but the mention of BPA reminded me that one project at the state science fair this week was a partnership between a student and a professor of biochemistry. Using all the fancy equipment the professor had at his behest, they showed that the average retail receipt has about 8 times more "available to transfer" BPA than any plastic item (bottles, baby bottles, cups, plastic bags, etc.) that they tested. Because we touch our receipts and then eat with our hands, their conclusion was that THAT was a worse source of BPA than the bottle! My point: we can try to be careful, I guess, but it's everywhere!

evilSabina...you're welcome! Glad I could share a little something!  Cheesy

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011 05:36:15 AM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
fishstix43

Crafting is a state of mind.

View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: March 26, 2011 06:23:12 AM »

Can I just say that you guys are showing off one of the reasons I love craftster right now?  I'm a chemist, and on some of the other sites I've been on, as soon as an issue like PUL came up, there would instantly be a huge group of people spamming things about how ALL CHEMICALS ARE BAD and how even thinking of using it would make you a horrible person or something.  But here, we can have a considered, measured conversation about it and the possible side effects.  I just needed to share that, because it's one of my pet peeves.  So thank you.   Cheesy

(I know it's not strictly craft-related, but it is craftster related, right?)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011 06:31:34 AM by fishstix43 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2832 on: March 26, 2011 07:20:49 AM »

I'm not sure about what to use in snack bags, but the mention of BPA reminded me that one project at the state science fair this week was a partnership between a student and a professor of biochemistry. Using all the fancy equipment the professor had at his behest, they showed that the average retail receipt has about 8 times more "available to transfer" BPA than any plastic item (bottles, baby bottles, cups, plastic bags, etc.) that they tested. Because we touch our receipts and then eat with our hands, their conclusion was that THAT was a worse source of BPA than the bottle! My point: we can try to be careful, I guess, but it's everywhere!

A little tip about this, a study (I think Swedish) showed that using an alcohol based hand sanitizer actually increases absorption of BPA so if you work in retail WASH your hands after handling that BPA coated thermal paper instead of using hand sanitizer. The same study indicated that after 20 minutes of having touched BPA it won't wash off at all though so if you are working with that kind of receipt speak with your manager about it. This is becoming an issue here as Health Canada has declared BPA a toxic substance.

Always, I love the idea of incorporating those scarves into a Gibbous inspired skirt or frock for spring. Or even appliqueing bits of them onto Teesha Moore style projects. They would work for ATC's, fiber fat books, journal covers or pages of a stuffed journal, shadow box back drops, doll clothes, fabric bowls, woven hot pads, an interesting wig (check out these roving wigs, they're really neat! https://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=123873347662946&aid=40802) etc etc etc.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011 02:01:06 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
A2JC4life
« Reply #2833 on: March 26, 2011 08:18:27 AM »

That same blog site said that polyurethane-coated nylon is approved as safe for food, though. 
WallabyBags They're laminated on the inside with polyurethane, which is food safe and widely used in the food industry from food manufacturing and packaging to food storage.
  So the polyurethane is "unsafe" for food if laminated onto polyester on the other side, but safe for food if laminated onto nylon on the other side?  I don't really see the logic in that.  It seems to me that if polyurethane has been approved as safe for food when laminated onto nylon, that's more evidence that it should be sufficiently safe when laminated onto polyester.  (I know, plain cotton or homemade oilcloth are probably even better - except cotton isn't airtight or waterproof and homemade oilcloth is a royal pain to maintain.  We're going for a balance between healthy, reusable, and realistic here. Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cursive_queen
« Reply #2834 on: March 26, 2011 01:19:10 PM »

Ive seen people make reusuable snack bags using an old gallon ziplock as the liner (thicker than sandwich bags), you can cut it to the size you want.  YOu can't throw it in the washer, but you can certainly rinse  and let dry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tanath
« Reply #2835 on: March 26, 2011 01:29:11 PM »

Kwiltykate, I love the hoops you made, they look so fun. The ladybugs remind me a bit of a page from a fabric book my mom made me when I was a baby.
A2JC4life, cute dress, I like the ribbon Smiley I don't think making new dresses for passover is weird, passover is the holiday of spring and renewal, and one of the beginnings if the year according to Jewish tradition.
Always , that cat looks so happy that he manged to spell something  Cheesy
astormorray, I can see why you got carried away with the pouches, they are great Smiley

waggonswest...maybe we need some sort of video-feed from craftster so we could keep up AND craft at the same time. I'd sure rather watch/listen to what y'all are doing than watch/listen to TV!!
that's an interesting idea, it can probably be done, all the needed tech has already been invented. I do something that at least frees my hands. Windows Vista has voice recognition built-in, so I sit with my headset and murmur at my computer while beading. The basic settings are good enough for scrolling through pages on the forums and IM'ing people.

I still haven't made anything new, but I think my bead boxes made it to our new place today. At least that's what my brother said when I told him where they were in the old place. Now to find the box with the rest of my stuff...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Start at the beginning, and when you come to the end, stop! - Alice in Wonderland
sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2836 on: March 26, 2011 01:32:00 PM »

I finally finished a project over the last 3 days.......that being said it's for a swap so I'm still holding out on pictures lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lillianpearl

Jack of all trades...master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2837 on: March 26, 2011 03:03:06 PM »

One of my projects this year was to make reusable sandwich bags...glad I haven't made them yet. I had no idea about all that! Thanks for the info and links guys!

I did make a batch of chalkboard paint today. Now I can finish a project I've been kicking around for a while.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DawnsTrees
« Reply #2838 on: March 26, 2011 03:24:38 PM »

Thanks for the advice SilverMoon and v3nu5! I was not adding an extra stitch - you would think that "how-to" websites would mention that! I will definitely look into some of the videos - they may be easier to understand than the written instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
LaughingLark
« Reply #2839 on: March 26, 2011 06:21:07 PM »

I got the scarf for Ian done today! I set a goal to have it done by the end of the weekend. It was on my Knitting Board Tadpole loom for about two years. I really enjoyed working on it once I sat down in front of Netflix over the last couple of days. It's double stockinette, and the yarn is "I Love This Yarn" from Hobby Lobby, so it's pretty soft and squishy for acrylic. One W.I.P. down, many others to go! Now, to see if I can finish my stash busting afghan by the middle of April. Smiley

It is chilly here today, after a few days of warm weather. We all feel cold, so Ian put on his new scarf and has been wearing around the house for warmth. We have the heat set at 70F, but the air is so damp from the crap weather outside that we feel like we can't get warm. We're supposed to get some snow. Phooey! At least it's not supposed to stick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 549 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Black and White Images in Photoshop
How to Use the Blending Modes in Photoshop Part 2/2
How to Use the Dodge Tool part 2/2
How to Use the Dodge Tool part 1/2
How to Correct Eye color in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...