A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,172
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilted, Embroidered wristlet & Lunch Money Pouches  (Read 3829 times)
Tags for this thread: wristlet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pamelabd
« on: December 04, 2010 10:03:14 PM »

I made these up today for me and my kiddos.
ALL of them were done entirely in the embroidery hoop...yup, zipper too!

The bird on denim is for me...the other two are lunch money pouches for my kiddos complete with clip to attach to their backpack or belt loop.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~pamela~*

My Artfire Shop: (crocheted & knit items and Patterns!!)
http://www.artfire.com/users/PDDesigns

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/emililybug
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010 11:57:11 PM »

Beautiful Work! They look professional... What do you mean; done in the hoop? On the sewing machine, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pamelabd
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010 08:04:39 AM »

I have an embroidery machine....I digitized a design for these so that the entire bag, including zipper, is made in the embroidery hoop.....it quilts the fabrics, sews down the panels, adds the backing, serges the edges....so instead of sitting at the sewing machine, pinning, changing feet, lining up edges, etc....I just push a button and the whole thing sews itself....I just change the thread when the colors need changing, per design.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~pamela~*

Sharalee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010 08:37:11 AM »

Smiley Very cute. Boy I would love to have your sewing machine!!!  Lucky Girl..  Great Christmas gifts.  Thanks for showing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http:/pinterest.com/sharalee3

"Yet Another TM Patch Swap" RD 2/partners
"Poppet vs. Ami Swap"/partners
"Make Purse & Wallet Swap/partner

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Pa
rauni
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010 12:30:39 PM »

Wow, you did a great job!  I've done "in-the-hoop" projects before but I've never attempted to make one myself.  Well done!  May I ask what embrodery software you use?  The pouches are awesome by the way!

Rauni
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010 04:46:06 PM »

great job.  what machine and software do you have that allows you to ditigize these pouches?  I would to be able to create items like these!!!  do tell!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
veri
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010 05:15:34 AM »

Very nice pouches - I like yours the best:). I'd also like to know: what kind of machine do you have that turns fabric so that it sews sides together and a zipper in the middle? Sounds like a wonder! Never heard of something like that! how do you do that? I'd love to know more! Not that I could buy such a monster but I can watch and learn, right? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rauni
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010 08:24:19 AM »

Very nice pouches - I like yours the best:). I'd also like to know: what kind of machine do you have that turns fabric so that it sews sides together and a zipper in the middle? Sounds like a wonder! Never heard of something like that! how do you do that? I'd love to know more! Not that I could buy such a monster but I can watch and learn, right? Grin

Veri, the machine would be an embroidery machine and it doesn't turn the project.  You just sew it in steps inside out and the turn it yourself after it is complete.  The trick is to know the steps and to digitize the pattern.  This trick, I do not know, lol.  I have sewn "in-the-hoop" projects before and I'm always fascinated that someone was able to figure out all the steps required to make it work, like magic!

Rauni
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
pamelabd
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010 04:35:10 PM »

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply....Christmas orders always consume me towards the end of the year.

I have a Brother Ult2003D....largest hoop is 6 x 10.

I use Embird to digitize my items.

The key to creating/digitizing in the hoop designs is knowing how to manually sew them first.....then "seeing" inside out, so to speak.

The design was created so that it attached the zipper first, then quilted the front panels and added the design.....then I add the backing fabric.....if I want the backing quilted, I would do that in a seperate hooping...splitting the design into 2 parts.

Lastly, it sews it all together and finished/serges the edges......then I remove from hoop, trim, turn right side out and done!

On my machine, when I sew, I have to change zipper feet, regular feet, then sew item, bring to serger to finish edges, etc......by designing the embroidery machine to do it, I eliminated all the machines, foot changes and precise cutting of fabrics.

-pamela
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~pamela~*

veri
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011 05:51:16 AM »

Ahaaaa! Now I get it - thank you! The key info that I was missing was that you have a seperate piece of fabric for the backing. When I sew pouches I usually just use one piece that I fold on the bottom edge. Now it makes all the sence, thank you so much!
I have Bernina Aurora 440 QE but I don't have the embroidery unit. I chose this model because I wanted to have the option of adding an embroidery unit later (it's cheaper and takes less space if it's just one machine that does both...) So now I'm still in my "learning" fase and in a few years I hope I'll be able to try something out practically Smiley.

Tank you so much - I have never heard of something like that and I really like it! The only think that bothers me is that this way you probably use more fabric than in a normal "handmade" way (due to the fact that it has to be in the hoop).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Erykah Badu Leads Celebration of Natural Hair
How to Wear a 90s Scrunchie
How to Style a Braided Back to School Hair
Try a Twisted Half-Up Hairstyle for Homecoming
Try This Quick and Easy Braided Style for School
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...