A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 315,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
314 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scoodie, the next generation  (Read 5579 times)
Tags for this thread: scoodie , hooded_scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pave
« on: December 04, 2010 11:16:48 AM »

Hi. This is my first post to the knitting board and here it goes Smiley

A month ago I crocheted this:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=363685.0

Few nights ago I was experimenting with 12mm needles and two different colour yarns and fell in love with the softness of the knit. I thought I should develop the scoodie pattern further with less seams. Now the only seam is on the back of the hood.

This is what I came up with:

I would have made the hood part taller and wider, but like always, I ran out of yarn  Tongue. Also I would have moved the increasing part closer to the hood. I had trouble with the increases and continuing the pattern. If any of you fellow craftsters have ideas how to do increases and keep the pattern looking good, please enlighten me!   Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010 05:25:37 PM »

I think you did a great job, especially since you used a pattern stitch.
Using a pattern can be real tricky. Now that you made this one, you can plot out  better where you want your increases. I don't see anything wrong with it. I would tho, like to see it a bit deeper, all around. This
seems like the perfect piece for when you need that cozy warmth around the neck and ears, but don't want the extra bulk under your jacket.
 Perhaps even a ribbing would make a good pattern alternative. You'll get a lot of stretch, but it springs back close.
  In the picture, it really doesn't look like there is anything wrong with this one, either.
a final thought... would you be able to work this design on circular needles to avoid a seam?
Thanks for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pave
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010 02:03:30 AM »

Thank you KLKing!

I actually used circular needles and couldn't loose the seam... Maybe I should just learn to sew the seam with a little unnoticeable seam  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010 09:52:47 AM »

You might be able to shape the top of the hood by decreasing in the center, where the seam is, to get the curve. it would be a bit of trial and error, but I think you could do it. Regardless, it's really nice work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pave
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010 08:26:04 AM »

Yes, I could do that. I'm a bit scared of that trial and error part though Cheesy.
I was thinking if I knitted the last row to the middle and binded off the two edges together. Maybe it would be less thick seam.

Well. I have to try both, but first I need to go buy more yarn (What a great excuse for some yarn shopping!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010 08:36:52 AM »

I'm going to have to try making one of these. How many ounces of yarn did it take? And What size needles; and how many cast on stitches?
 I think I can figure it out from there...It's not like I'm asking you type up the whole pattern! LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pave
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010 10:12:58 AM »

That is nice to hear! I'd like to see your finished product Smiley

Here are some pointers. I use European measurements, so I will put American ones in brackets (In case I make mistakes in translations).

I used circular needles size 12mm (us 17 is the closest size) and 168 stitches. Close the circle right away and start knitting.  The circumference was 184 centimeters (71,75 inches) in the beginning (In use it has stretched a bit).

I used two yarns together. I don't know how to explain the yarns thickness, but it is usually used to knit socks and such Smiley. I had about 100 grams each (4 ounces each?).
I think 150 grams times two would have been enough for a bigger hood and a little higher scarf.

The hoods height was 33 stitches (Knit 66... Both sides at the same time Smiley)... But in hindsight I'd make the hoods height maybe 39 stitches.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010 07:02:35 PM »

Thanks so much! Now to write that down and work out conversions!
I'm going to translate all that info to fit needles I already have. And, maybe a thicker yarn. I have one quick item on the needles right now,
which should be finishing up soon. Then I'm going to get some yarn for this. I'm thinking my daughter, who wears hats, would like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Hair With Hollie: Anne Hathaway Short Hair
How To Rock The Heidi Roll Style This Spring
How To Make A Beaded Wedding Hair Accessory
How to Get a Kiera Knightly-Inspired Hairstyle
Spring 2013 Hair and Fashion Trends
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...