A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
785 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for favourite (easy) Christmas dinner recipes!  (Read 853 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

purple_leopard
« on: December 04, 2010 02:14:52 AM »

I am cooking for some friends this Christmas, and am looking for some easy, delicious Christmassy recipes.  What are your favourite starters, sides and mains?  None are vegetarian so meat dishes are fine, but not compulsory.  Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.

Can't Hack, Won't Hack http://canthack.org
brunoise

Eat anything, but if it bites back, boil it.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010 09:24:11 AM »

I am cooking for some friends this Christmas, and am looking for some easy, delicious Christmassy recipes.  What are your favourite starters, sides and mains?  None are vegetarian so meat dishes are fine, but not compulsory.  Thanks Smiley

Leftover Turkey? Cranberries? Got orange juice? You got yourself one damn tasty meal!

Turkey sandwich with Cranberry chutney

1 tblsn carmelized onions
1 tblsn cranberries (dried works just as well)
just enough OJ to slightly cover the above ingredients
Leftover turkey

Combine OJ, onions and cranberries and keep on medium heat until almost all liquid evaporates (you should be looking for a syrup-type consistency). Heat up your turkey and put the chutney on top. It elevates the sandwich to a damn good sammich.

Peanut butter balls (the closest thing to Reese that I've found)
1 cup peanut butter (smooth)
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup icing sugar
Stir to combine these ingredients (helps to heat up the peanut butter a bit to make it a bit easier to work with). Cover in chocolate, more graham cracker crumbs, coconut shavings, etc. A warning, these are VERY rich.

Honey Dijon salad dressing
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tblsn grainy mustard
S+P
Whisk to combine and serve. Goes spectacular with a heartier green (spinach) and combines well with a soft cheese (goat). It's a sweeter dressing.

Ham Glaze
Ginger ale, mustard, garlic powder, brown sugar
Consistency like a syrup. I can't give exact measurements on this because I've never measured when making it. Too thin? Add more sugar. Too thick? Add ginger ale.

Pulled Pork
X lbs Pork shoulder aka picnic roast (Cut is important, weight not so much)
In an oven @ 225-250F (I've done it at 210F) put the roast in a covered roasting pan and leave it alone for 7 hours MINIMUM! The point of this is low and slow cooking that will give you an amazingly tender result! After that time, uncover and take 2 forks to try and pull apart. If you need to put any effort into shredding the meat, leave it for another hour. Once it's tender, I like to chill it and pull the fatty bits + bones out. This leaves me with all the tender meat that I drown in BBQ sauce.
Alternatively when roasting;
In roasting pan, place roast in and cover with gingerale/coke/pepsi/rootbeer etc. (any non-flammable liquid under the sun). Cover and cook for the same time. With the liquid that's leftover, strain off the fat and reduce the liquid down (boil all the water off, should leave you with a syrup of pure flavor that you can add in with your BBQ sauce at the end).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spice *IS* the spice of life.
purple_leopard
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010 04:16:50 PM »

That leftovers sandwich sounds amazing! I am definitely making that on Boxing Day Cheesy  Thank so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010 08:58:10 PM »

Glazed Carrots

Cook baby carrots until fork-soft. Melt orange marmalade jam and a little butter in a sauce pan over low heat. Add in a bit of orange zest if you like. Toss the two together, serve warm.

I also am wierd, I tend to eat Italian on holidays. I love making lasagna for Christmas.
The dessert isn't very Christmasy either, but you could make it with cinnamon sugar instead of the jam.

Dessert: ice cream-less splits

Cut a banana in half and place on dish. Melt strawberry jam until syrup consistency, drizzle over. Add cool whip, any other toppings you like and serve. Makes 1 serving.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
purple_leopard
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010 03:05:20 AM »

I like the sound of the sweet carrots. In the end, we went for a ham (boiled then roasted) and a chicken, with potatoes, parsnips, stuffing, and mashed swede. And I'm still full!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Save the Workspace Settings in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Change the Workspace Color in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Work With Different Color Spaces in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Optimize the Color Setting in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Setup Preferences in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...