So...First off let me say that I am NOT one who likes playing with paper, but I NEEDED to do this challenge as an excuse to craft something. I didn't want to do something that would be cliche (or if I want to be good and use my vocabulary for school...something that is definitely not hackneyed), so I started thinking outside of the box (as I tend to do during math class
) and I came up with this...
No epic story of inspiration this time other than I was thinking completely outside of the box.
I didn't want to do something that was typically related to paper crafts...so I did a dress.
The color scheme came from poinsettias because I love the bright red color they have, and the white from of course, snow, living in VT I get a lot of that...and black just seemed to tie it all together nicely so I didn't look like a complete candy cane
so. this was death to cut out...not to mention I had to do it with right handed scissors, and this was only like 1/5 of it...Stupid prejudiced world of right handed people XD Anyways. I finished cutting all of them out like 2 weeks ago, and I still have blisters.
This is once the strap was added, before the flowers came...Ironing this thing was beast...and since it's 100% cotton it took FOREVER
This is the full back, it doesn't so much have a long huge train as it is just a HUGE skirt
This is just another side shot, get's the flowers a little better and shows how they just trail from the back. I'm only posting this one because you can kind of see how the front is shorter, I did that on purpose but I have no pictures of the front
. The front is about knee length then angles down to the huge skirt, a lot easier to wear this way too!
This one shows the detail of the flowers, I have a flower on the front where the strap joins to the dress, then the strap flows over, and has one on it, and they kind of trail off onto the dress then. I wish they weren't bent in this picture, but getting a dress on and off that has a TON of fabric to it is quite hard without ripping all of the flowers off.
And this one just shows how the flowers are arranged and such close up. You can also see my seam in the skirt, oops
235 HAND CUT flowers
1 pair of right handed scissors (this makes me sad)
1 1/2 bottles fabric/craft glue to attach the flowers
millions of brain cells killed from said glue's stench
dozens of blisters on my left hand from said scissors
countless episodes of TV keeping me from crying while cutting out said 235 flowers
10+ YARDS of bright red 100% cotton fabric (how's that for cutting down on your random stash of botls
367'' hem...yes. THREE HUNDRED SIXTY-SEVEN inches of hemming.
2 hours of hemming on my machine...I would have died if I did it by hand.
and...finally. a 6 pack of Mt. Dew to keep me alive while trying to make this stinkin thing...(it made like 80% of the dress in one day, then it took me forever to get the motivation to cut out and glue all of the flowers on).
All in all, probably the most INSANE thing I've ever made. Not because it was hard to make...it was actually like the most simple dress I've ever made. A strapless dress with a GIANT circle skirt, but I would have to say it qualifies me as insane because of the intensity of the flowers. I AM an abberation.