A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: artificial fading?  (Read 460 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2010 12:49:53 PM »

I bought this abfab 80's dress at a garage sale.  It's all velvety on top, with a satin mermaid skirt including netting underneath for volume.  I want to cut off the poufy skirt to use by itself.  But this stripey fading is only on the front.

The back is the original deep purple without the pink fading.  I think it's probably from sun exposure.  I don't mind the fading, but it looks funny just in front.  So anyone know how I could artificially fade the rayon/acetate satin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010 02:50:25 PM »

Supposedly you can dye acetate with disperse dyes, but it requires certain noxious/dangerous chemicals. So in theory you could dye the whole skirt back to a darker purple.

As for "artificial" fading for the undamaged portion of the skirt, how bout spritzing it with lemon juice and leaving it in the sun? You'd have to bunch up the fabric in a similar pattern to the fading on the front so it doesn't look too odd. I don't even know if the lemon juice trick would work on acetate, though...

You should totally save the top portion, too! It would make a fabulous "going out" bustier Cheesy

Best of luck Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Edie Superstar by Charlene Lanzel
Fresh Fish by Charlene Lanzel
Duende by Charlene Lanzel
An Interview with Stan Sakai
Supervillain Origins: Sandman
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...