Hi again! Been up late finishing up my BFFs Christmas quilt... <3
So here it is, the as-promised log cabin:
Still need to add the binding though (same with the rainbow quilt
for his sister)... hoping to get that started on (and hopefully finished!) tomorrow after I get some rest as my eyes are rather bleary and I'm tired... lol.
Here's some in-progress shots and commentary:
All laid out. I knew I wanted this layout but there was some tweaking to do moving squares around to satisfy my random need for light here and dark there. Don't worry, I caught that turned square on the upper right in time...
Here I've pinned my backing (ie - full sized flat sheet from Wal-Mart = $8.00) directly to the carpet. (note to self - clean camera lens... )
I laid out the batting on top and smoothed it down. Also, called in Aoisha (Director of Fabric Stability) for his expertise at this point. He is overseeing the preliminaries before he takes his post.
Starting to pin from the center outwards. Aoisha has taken his position and sent Molly, his trustworthy assistant, to do a perimeter sweep and check for snags and lumps.
After I finished quilting, I went to remove the safety pins. Aoisha is very dedicated to his job and will stick around afterwards to be 100% sure that there are no problems.
And there it is!
<333 I've already sent pictures to me friend and he says he loves it and can't wait to get it. Some more things I've learned:
* Dual-Feed Foot/Walking Foot = still amazing. <3
* 1/4" quilting foot = pretty darn helpful (not necessarily *needed* but useful)
* Transparent thread: Pro: you can't see it! Con: you can't see it!
In all seriousness though, this stuff (once you get the hang of it) is kinda nice. It hides a multitude of goofs. I only stitched 3 rows (separate occurrences) completely without realizing it wasn't stitching... xD So yeah, check that often and keep an ear open for the thread snapping when it breaks.
* Take pictures often and take the time to upload them to the computer to "step back" and look at the layout before sewing. As I mentioned above, I caught the turned square from the original layout but as you can see from the pinning photos, there's a turned green one center stage at the bottom that I did not notice until that point. Thankfully it was on the border but omg, seam ripping and re-sewing was a pain and it's still wonky.
I also had a notebook with a layout drawing I used while I was assembling everything. It helps a lot but I guess I just zoned out on that one square, or got distracted by the helper kittehs.
* You can't ever have enough quilting safety pins for basting.
Thanks for looking!
Good night Craftster. *yawns*