A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2nd Quilt - Barn Raising/Log Cabin in Purple and Green  (Read 3029 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SkyyAngel
« on: December 03, 2010 01:57:19 AM »

Hi again! Been up late finishing up my BFFs Christmas quilt... <3

So here it is, the as-promised log cabin:

Still need to add the binding though (same with the rainbow quilt for his sister)... hoping to get that started on (and hopefully finished!) tomorrow after I get some rest as my eyes are rather bleary and I'm tired... lol.

Here's some in-progress shots and commentary:

All laid out. I knew I wanted this layout but there was some tweaking to do moving squares around to satisfy my random need for light here and dark there. Don't worry, I caught that turned square on the upper right in time...

Here I've pinned my backing (ie - full sized flat sheet from Wal-Mart = $8.00) directly to the carpet. (note to self - clean camera lens... )

I laid out the batting on top and smoothed it down. Also, called in Aoisha (Director of Fabric Stability) for his expertise at this point. He is overseeing the preliminaries before he takes his post.

Starting to pin from the center outwards. Aoisha has taken his position and sent Molly, his trustworthy assistant, to do a perimeter sweep and check for snags and lumps.

After I finished quilting, I went to remove the safety pins. Aoisha is very dedicated to his job and will stick around afterwards to be 100% sure that there are no problems.

And there it is!

<333 I've already sent pictures to me friend and he says he loves it and can't wait to get it.  Grin

Some more things I've learned:
* Dual-Feed Foot/Walking Foot = still amazing. <3
* 1/4" quilting foot = pretty darn helpful (not necessarily *needed* but useful)
* Transparent thread: Pro: you can't see it! Con: you can't see it!  Cheesy  In all seriousness though, this stuff (once you get the hang of it) is kinda nice. It hides a multitude of goofs. I only stitched 3 rows (separate occurrences) completely without realizing it wasn't stitching... xD So yeah, check that often and keep an ear open for the thread snapping when it breaks.
* Take pictures often and take the time to upload them to the computer to "step back" and look at the layout before sewing. As I mentioned above, I caught the turned square from the original layout but as you can see from the pinning photos, there's a turned green one center stage at the bottom that I did not notice until that point. Thankfully it was on the border but omg, seam ripping and re-sewing was a pain and it's still wonky.  Undecided  I also had a notebook with a layout drawing I used while I was assembling everything. It helps a lot but I guess I just zoned out on that one square, or got distracted by the helper kittehs.
* You can't ever have enough quilting safety pins for basting.

Thanks for looking! Smiley

Good night Craftster. *yawns*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mumma troll

Happiness is the harvest of a quiet eye.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010 03:52:53 AM »

Lovely job on your quilt.  The colours are so fresh.

I have learned to take the Persian rug makers stance on mistakes in my work.  They believe that only Allah is perfect so deliberately include mistakes in their rugs.  When I make a mistake I let myself believe it is intentional as i cannot be perfect being only a mere mortal Wink Wink Wink Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DreamChild556

1+2+2+1. That's not six!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010 05:03:22 AM »

I love this! It's so gorgeous. I love the colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1,2 Freddy's coming for you.
3,4 better lock your door.
5,6 grab your crucifix.
7,8 gonna stay up late.
9,10 never sleep again.
elariane
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010 05:33:54 AM »

Gotta love how every project people do, their cats have to get involved in it as well LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pave
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010 07:45:21 AM »

I love your quilt!
The off center placement (Is there a proper phrase for it?!  Undecided) and the vibrant colors give such a modern feel to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010 10:27:03 AM »

Lovely job on your quilt.  The colours are so fresh.

I have learned to take the Persian rug makers stance on mistakes in my work.  They believe that only Allah is perfect so deliberately include mistakes in their rugs.  When I make a mistake I let myself believe it is intentional as i cannot be perfect being only a mere mortal Wink Wink Wink Grin

Exactly! Lol... I think the Amish quilt makers did the same from what I had heard.

I love your quilt!
The off center placement (Is there a proper phrase for it?!  Undecided) and the vibrant colors give such a modern feel to it!

I have no idea if there's a word for it, I just liked it off center. Smiley And thanks! It was *really* hard to find purple fabric that wasn't super girly or very obviously floral (since the quilt is for a guy... lol).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010 05:23:24 PM by SkyyAngel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010 10:31:50 AM »

Gotta love how every project people do, their cats have to get involved in it as well LOL!

Oh yes... Aoisha and Molly are *very* involved in all of the work that I do. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amalgam
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010 04:48:40 PM »

Beautiful work. The log cabin pattern is one among many quilt blocks I want to try someday. I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses cheap flat sheets for quilt backings.Cheesy I have question though. How did you pin your layers together without pinning it all to your carpet? I tried that once and I had to go back to various spots because the quilt was pinned to the floor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
SkyyAngel
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010 05:14:36 PM »

Beautiful work. The log cabin pattern is one among many quilt blocks I want to try someday. I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses cheap flat sheets for quilt backings.Cheesy I have question though. How did you pin your layers together without pinning it all to your carpet? I tried that once and I had to go back to various spots because the quilt was pinned to the floor.

I actually thought it was going to harder than it was... lol. I do cross-stitch as well so I guess I have a feel for things "through" the needle, if that makes sense? Like I can feel the difference between the needle/pin going through cotton fabric versus rough carpet fibers. I just kinda pull up in a rocking motion to get it through. When I roll the quilt up, I go slowly and if there's one stuck to the carpet, I just go back and unroll it to repin.

The first quilt I did, I had like 3 stuck to the carpet... lol. This time around though, there weren't any... so I guess it's practice makes perfect? It's kinda hard to explain, but I hope that helps. <3
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010 05:16:06 PM by SkyyAngel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010 10:48:01 PM »

I love the design. Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop Clone Stamp Tutorials
How to Make Digital Scrapbook
How to use Pen Tool in Photoshop
Creating a Hologram in After Effects
How To Use A Camera In After Effects
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...